Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #21
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice
Default Re: Opinions/Experiences with F150/Tundras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol View Post
I have an F350 diesel and a Lexus Gx470. No question that the Lexus is a MUCH better vehicle. I've poured $6K into fixing the Ford so far at 65,000 miles, and $0 (beyond normal oil changes, tires, etc) into the Lexus so far at 80,000 miles. The Lexus still runs like it is brand new, the Ford feels like it's 6 years old. I just needed the huge truck to tow my horse trailer, o/w I'd never buy any other truck (or truck based chassis) from anyone other than Toyota/Lexus again. I've had a couple of Chevrolets in the past that were nice trucks, but nothing can touch the 4runner or the GX470 that we've had/have.
That is about a fair comparison as saying a Cohiba Lancero is better than a Macanudo Robust. If we were talking Navigator's and GX470 then it might work.

It is unfortunate about the F350 but even Ford acknolweged the last gen diesel engine wasn't good. I assume that or the tranny has been the trouble for that much money. Heck the last gen diesel would have made me go Chevy for HD application. The new one has me back at Ford.

Besides Toyota won't even try to enter the 1 ton area. They can't even get their act together to offer a boxed frame in a 1/2 ton. I can only imagine how much wiggle their 1 ton would have.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #22
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (8)
QdO
Lear31MX will become famous soon enoughLear31MX will become famous soon enough

I've owned both a toyota 4 runner, and a lot of Fords, 150,250, 350, and my wife has and expedition . Can't say I like the new toyota. All my Ford have been outstanding rides. I would buy a new f-150.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #23
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

QdO

It is unfortunate about the F350 but even Ford acknolweged the last gen diesel engine wasn't good.

I own a 2006 f-350 i've put a 100,000 with not a probelm one, imo it's a great diesel. the truck can move a house and not even miss a step.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #24
Pistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
That is about a fair comparison as saying a Cohiba Lancero is better than a Macanudo Robust. If we were talking Navigator's and GX470 then it might work.

It is unfortunate about the F350 but even Ford acknolweged the last gen diesel engine wasn't good. I assume that or the tranny has been the trouble for that much money. Heck the last gen diesel would have made me go Chevy for HD application. The new one has me back at Ford.

Besides Toyota won't even try to enter the 1 ton area. They can't even get their act together to offer a boxed frame in a 1/2 ton. I can only imagine how much wiggle their 1 ton would have.
It is a fair comparison, because I'm not comparing trim levels. I compared reliability and cost of ownership over time between my two vehicles with truck-sized engine and tranny combos. My GX470 has a 4.7 liter V8 in it which is very comparable to the F150. They are in the same class under the hood. The F350 is totally stripped down, which is what I wanted for my work truck; so of course there's no comfort comparison to the Lexus! For the record though, you're right, we've had several engine problems. I still prefer Ford over Chevy and Dodge though. Just as an FYI, for my model's year, the only difference between a 4runner and the GX470 is body style and trim level. They have the same engine (in the V8 for the 4runner) and same chassis.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #25
Pistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear31MX View Post
It is unfortunate about the F350 but even Ford acknolweged the last gen diesel engine wasn't good.

I own a 2006 f-350 i've put a 100,000 with not a probelm one, imo it's a great diesel. the truck can move a house and not even miss a step.
Ours is an '03 or an '04, don't remember. I think that's the previous gen that he's talking about. I'll trade you straight up for our '03/04, we've fixed it a bunch!!
Old 06-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #26
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
It is a fair comparison, because I'm not comparing trim levels. I compared reliability and cost of ownership over time between my two vehicles with truck-sized engine and tranny combos. My GX470 has a 4.7 liter V8 in it which is very comparable to the F150. They are in the same class under the hood. The F350 is totally stripped down, which is what I wanted for my work truck; so of course there's no comfort comparison to the Lexus! For the record though, you're right, we've had several engine problems. I still prefer Ford over Chevy and Dodge though. Just as an FYI, for my model's year, the only difference between a 4runner and the GX470 is body style and trim level. They have the same engine (in the V8 for the 4runner) and same chassis.
True but a Cohiba is made from the same tobacco as many other cigars but it is still better. I wasn't saying Lexus/Toyota aren't the same so and so more that a 1 ton truck compared to a less than 1/4 ton (class not weight) sport utility is unfair. More so when you compare amenities. The main reason to not compare is that neither vehicle is or should be doing the same things. If you are pulling the horse trailer with the GX then lets compare. But to compare your engine reliability to an engine not even available in an F150 is absurd, how does that work? Let's compare your engine reliability to Fords 4.6 2V, while grossly underpowered is a great engine.

The main reason is that personal comparisons are already invalid because of too small a sample size. Every automakers makes a lemon now and then. Ask anyone with a 2000 Tundra and rusty frame. When you start comparing different class vehicles you just make it worse.

I think this is more true in trucks than with cars too. They just don't and shouldn't do the same things.

When you buy a truck why you buy it should be based on what you are going to do with it. It's reliability against a vehicle that cannot do the same thing is just a weird comparison to me.

Last edited by kydsid; 06-03-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #27
Pistol

Quote:
True but a Cohiba is made from the same tobacco as many other cigars but it is still better. I wasn't saying Lexus/Toyota aren't the same so and so more that a 1 ton truck compared to a less than 1/4 ton (class not weight) sport utility is unfair. More so when you compare amenities. The main reason to not compare is that neither vehicle is or should be doing the same things. If you are pulling the horse trailer with the GX then lets compare.

The main reason is that personal comparisons are already invalid because of too small a sample size. Every automakers makes a lemon now and then. Ask anyone with a 2000 Tundra and rusty frame. When you start comparing different class vehicles you just make it worse.

I think this is more true in trucks than with cars too. They just don't and shouldn't do the same things.

When you buy a truck why you buy it should be based on what you are going to do with it. It's reliability against a vehicle that cannot do the same thing is just a weird comparison to me.
Hey man, no worries, he asked for opinions and experiences, and I gave him mine! Other people have talked about their 4runners here, and you haven't said anything to them. My GX470 is essentially a dressed up 4Runner, it's pretty much the same vehicle with a nicer interior! I never tried to say that my GX470 does the same thing as my truck. In fact, if you reread my posts, I talk about pulling a horse trailer with my big ass diesel; well, no kidding my little SUV can't pull a 4 horse gooseneck, that's why I got the truck!! I use both vehicles for their intended purposes - the Lexus for light to moderate camping, trail driving, city driving, and light towing, and my F350 for heavy work and towing. My Lexus is better at what it's designed to do than the Ford is, does that work better for you? The OP wanted our experiences with the reliability of both Toyota and Ford. My experiences have been different than yours, so what?? Why are you coming after my experiences and noone elses?! Also, my father has a Tundra, so if we are only talking F150 and Tundra here, then he loves his and has over 200K on it with no major engine or tranny issues. Kydsid, I'm not trying to say Ford sucks or anything like that, I'm just showing my preference for Toyota - no more and no less man.

Last edited by Pistol; 06-03-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #28
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Quote:
Hey man, no worries, he asked for opinions and experiences, and I gave him mine! Lots of people have talked about their 4runners here, and you haven't said anything to them. My GX470 is essentially a dressed up 4Runner, it's pretty much the same vehicle with a nicer interior! I never tried to say that my GX470 does the same thing as my truck. In fact, if you reread my posts, I talk about pulling a horse trailer with my big ass diesel; well, no kidding my little SUV can't pull a 4 horse gooseneck, that's why I got the truck!! I use both vehicles for their intended purposes - the Lexus for light to moderate camping, trail driving, city driving, and light towing, and my F350 for heavy work and towing. My Lexus is better at what it's designed to do than the Ford is, does that work better for you? The OP wanted our experiences with the reliability of both Toyota and Ford. My experiences have been different than yours, so what?? Why are you coming after my experiences and noone elses?!

Sorry. I am not trying to make it personal. In fact I had a 94 4Runner that was great. Ran it into the ground. I'd buy another 4Runner/GX in a heart beat if that is the kind of vehicle I was looking for.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #29
Pistol

Quote:
Sorry. I am not trying to make it personal. In fact I had a 94 4Runner that was great. Ran it into the ground. I'd buy another 4Runner/GX in a heart beat if that is the kind of vehicle I was looking for.
I know, and no need to apologize! I wasn't trying to compare the Gx to the F350 in function at all. I was just merely stating that the Ford had cost me more money with less mileage than the Lexus had. Granted, they are different vehicles that are designed to do different things, but they are both larger vehicles with larger engine/tranny combos so I thought that my experiences with the two of them would be applicable. Maybe they are, and maybe they aren't, but they are my most recent experiences with the two manufacturers. FWIW, I will probably keep buying Fords to tow my toys/horses around, and I will probably keep buying Toyota/Lexus for lighter duty stuff.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #30
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

QdO

Quote:
Ours is an '03 or an '04, don't remember. I think that's the previous gen that he's talking about. I'll trade you straight up for our '03/04, we've fixed it a bunch!!
Yeah, I have a friend with an "03 that damn thing can't make it 10,000 miles with out something going wrong.
So no, I do not want to trade.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #31
kydsid
Ditat Deus

You'll be amazed how quiet the new diesels are. My gasser idles louder than an F250 with the new diesel.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #32
Pistol

Quote:
You'll be amazed how quiet the new diesels are. My gasser idles louder than an F250 with the new diesel.
Maybe someday, but I plan on keeping both the F350 and the GX470 for a while. Hell, I spent enough coin on the two of them, they'd better last a bit longer!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:17 AM   #33
jmsremax
Yet another Masshole

First Name: Jon
Trading: (19)
jmsremax will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Aftermarket exhaust on your non-diesel? Personally I am a fan of the knocking from the diesel motor. There is no better sounds than a turbo diesel engine. Luckily I get to be a passenger on one every day (MBTA bus) VROOOOOOOOOOM!

Old 06-04-2010, 07:34 AM   #34
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsremax View Post
Aftermarket exhaust on your non-diesel? Personally I am a fan of the knocking from the diesel motor. There is no better sounds than a turbo diesel engine. Luckily I get to be a passenger on one every day (MBTA bus) VROOOOOOOOOOM!

Nope it is stock. Ford's 2011 Super Duty's have an all new diesel and it is very quiet, no knocking at all.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #35
BC-Axeman

I had a '92 4runner V6 that we put +250k miles on. It never went more than 40k without needing a major repair. We have a Rav4 now that has never needed anything but maintenance at 45k now. I have owned a bunch of Toys and never had one without reliability issues. I have worked on more Toyotas than any other brand. Only because there are so many around.
That said, I think all machines will have failure modes and there is a difference between a sensor or fuel injector going bad and something like using a too small bearing or inferior gaskets. Most manufactures have come to similar conclusions when engineering advances in their designs. Things like through-the-block head bolts and better water paths to prevent blown head gaskets. Fuel delivery is seldom a problem any more. Engines stay leak tight longer. Diagnostics tell you when something is going wrong before it becomes a disaster.
I have had both Ford and Toyota, luxury and base models, and have liked and disliked things about both. I would go with whatever dealer you are most comfortable with. If it were to be a work truck and be used hard I think I would go with the Ford by just a little.
Most of the diesel problems are caused by federally mandated designs, like EGR. EGR on a diesel! Talk about asking for trouble. Diesel exhaust being fed back into the intake. Even the newer ones are loaded down with lots of complex trouble causing devices and it will get worse in the coming years.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #36
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
AAlmeter is on a distinguished road

I looked at all of the 1/2 tons in '08 when I was last shopping around. Of the two you selected, my opinions were:

Ford: weakest engine out there

Toyota: tailgate seemed flimsy and I had trouble getting used to the A-pillar/roof (I kept smacking my head)

I ended up going with a Titan. Tundra would have been a close 2nd.

(for the record, I had an F-150 prior to that which was a bit...uh...troublesome)
AAlmeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #37
thebiglebowski
Jack White's Roadie...

First Name: larry
Partagas
thebiglebowski is on a distinguished road

another vote for the ford. i own an 08 F-150 XLT 4x4 and love it. had an 01 ranger before that. and both have been totally reliable.

back seat on the F-150 is so huge, I can fit 3 large persons back there. to me, it boiled down to the fact that ford's been making trucks for a hundred years and they know what they're doing. ford all the way!
thebiglebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:06 AM   #38
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

I've owned seven Ford trucks,all 3/4 ton except one though.My last two however have been Chevy's and except for the last GM having the 8.1L with a 200 mile p/tank range,they have given me good service.

All that said,there is a reason Ford F-150 is the country's best selling truck and numbers don't lie
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #39
fhrblig
Real cars have 3 pedals

First Name: Bob
fhrblig is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAlmeter View Post
I looked at all of the 1/2 tons in '08 when I was last shopping around. Of the two you selected, my opinions were:

Ford: weakest engine out there

Toyota: tailgate seemed flimsy and I had trouble getting used to the A-pillar/roof (I kept smacking my head)

I ended up going with a Titan. Tundra would have been a close 2nd.

(for the record, I had an F-150 prior to that which was a bit...uh...troublesome)

Just curious, how has your Titan held up? I always thought it was a great truck, but I've heard from some owners that they've been unreliable.
fhrblig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:11 PM   #40
1badhog07
Still Watching My Back

First Name: gustavo
Trading: (2)
HdM
1badhog07 is on a distinguished road

My money will be on the YOTA..I have a 85 toyota 4x4 no rust on the frame.over 100k on the motor.this truck has been through hell and back...just me but i had nothing but problems with ford..