Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #1341
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
If that ad is legit, that is freakin awesome
Its not, and its been posted a few times with small differences, but it is damn funny
Old 01-25-2010, 08:50 AM   #1342
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
I got 2 different caliber guns but I'm not going to say what they are until I have them in my possession

1 is a .40 and the other a .45.
I know what you bought. Both guns are sweet!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #1343
Tikihut27
Learned to Love the Bomb

Trading: (3)
Army (Retired)
Tikihut27 has a spectacular aura aboutTikihut27 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05 View Post
Also what is the difference between a Pre and Post ban upper?
I didn't see an answer to this question- Post-ban uppers usually don't have bayonet lugs and threaded barrels. Some states (like mine- NY) kept the ban on "assault rifles" after the national one expired. General rules are that if it has a detachable magazine you may have one, and only one, of the following:

Folding/collapsable stock
Pistol grip
Threaded bbl
Bayonet lug
Grenade launching adapter

Most people opt for the pistol grip, since most modern rifles look funny without one. Only counts for weapons manufactured after September 14, 1994. Older weapons are grandfathered.

Most mfr's are aware of this and don't want to write off sales to large states like NY, so post-ban configurations are frequently available, as lame as they may be.

Last edited by Tikihut27; 01-25-2010 at 06:15 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-25-2010, 08:20 PM   #1344
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikihut27 View Post
I didn't see an answer to this question- Post-ban uppers usually don't have bayonet lugs and threaded barrels. Some states (like mine- NY) kept the ban on "assault rifles" after the national one expired. General rules are that if it has a detachable magazine you may have one, and only one, of the following:

Folding/collapsable stock
Pistol grip
Threaded bbl
Bayonet lug
Grenade launching adapter

Most people opt for the pistol grip, since most modern rifles look funny without one. Only counts for weapons manufactured after September 14, 1994. Older weapons are grandfathered.

Most mfr's are aware of this and don't want to write off sales to large states like NY, so post-ban configurations are frequently available, as lame as they may be.

I'm glad you brought this up. I was planning on buying an AR-15 online and had it shipped home in NY for me to pick up. I had a nice DPMS picked out and when I was negotiating with the dealer online he told me I wouldn't be able to get it since I lived in NY. I think I will just pick one up in Texas while I am down there for 10 months.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #1345
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rich
Trading: (1)
smokeyandthebandit05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm glad you brought this up. I was planning on buying an AR-15 online and had it shipped home in NY for me to pick up. I had a nice DPMS picked out and when I was negotiating with the dealer online he told me I wouldn't be able to get it since I lived in NY. I think I will just pick one up in Texas while I am down there for 10 months.

Did he give you any reason not to ship it?
Old 01-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #1346
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05 View Post
Did he give you any reason not to ship it?

He said I would have had to change a bunch of things on the gun to comply with NY laws and they were mods that I did not want.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #1347
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rich
Trading: (1)
smokeyandthebandit05 is on a distinguished road

ohhhh ok. I hate NY and NJ. On a side note. Can a NJ resident purchase in NY?

What do u guys think of this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-EOTECH...item3a56ad50ef
Old 01-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #1348
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough

Question...who makes a good, reliable FN-FAL/L1A1/SLR-type rifle? I'd prefer one of the ones made up from surplus parts if possible.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #1349
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

Quote:
He said I would have had to change a bunch of things on the gun to comply with NY laws and they were mods that I did not want.
So then it would be illegal to have the upper in NY if you bought it out of state rite?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #1350
Tikihut27
Learned to Love the Bomb

Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_mike View Post
So then it would be illegal to have the upper in NY if you bought it out of state rite?
Only of you have a lower to go with it.

I'd be careful about buying out-of-state. The law is not on buying/selling banned firearms- it's on posession. Best to comply with the law. I buy pre-ban, or modify. Someday I'll move and catch up on everything I've missed.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #1351
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

I'm not exactly sure on all the ridiculous laws NY has so I am thinking it will be easier just to buy the exact gun I want in Texas and not have to worry about anything. If I bought an AR-15 out of state and someday moved back home with my parents in NY would my gun be illegal to own?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:28 PM   #1352
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure on all the ridiculous laws NY has so I am thinking it will be easier just to buy the exact gun I want in Texas and not have to worry about anything. If I bought an AR-15 out of state and someday moved back home with my parents in NY would my gun be illegal to own?
Do yourself a huge favor and please research gun laws for your state.

A HUGE favor.

First off. You can't directly purchase a gun out of state. It has to be purchased, then mailed to an FFL dealer. THEN you go to the FFL and pickup the rifle after your state required background check is completed. Obviously if you buy it in state, it's from an FFL. (The requirement for in state sales are that you are a resident of that state)

The exception is person to person transfers which are not legal in all states, but are only allowed when a resident of a state sells to another resident of that state, within the boundary of that state.

In the case of the AR-15 and NY, it cannot happen if it is either A) Not post-ban compliant (IE compliant to the terms of the 1994 AWB) or B) a pre-ban (IE, a receiver that was registered prior to 1994)

I realize this isn't a gun forum, but please do some research before purchasing an AR-15.

Last edited by JE3146; 01-26-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:44 AM   #1353
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
Do yourself a huge favor and please research gun laws for your state.

A HUGE favor.

First off. You can't directly purchase a gun out of state. It has to be purchased, then mailed to an FFL dealer. THEN you go to the FFL and pickup the rifle after your state required background check is completed. Obviously if you buy it in state, it's from an FFL. (The requirement for in state sales are that you are a resident of that state)

The exception is person to person transfers which are not legal in all states, but are only allowed when a resident of a state sells to another resident of that state, within the boundary of that state.

In the case of the AR-15 and NY, it cannot happen if it is either A) Not post-ban compliant (IE compliant to the terms of the 1994 AWB) or B) a pre-ban (IE, a receiver that was registered prior to 1994)

I realize this isn't a gun forum, but please do some research before purchasing an AR-15.

Thanks for the tips. I was speaking with some of my firearms instructors and they made it seem like all I had to do was show a Texas drivers license and I would be able to purchase a AR with no problems down in Texas due to their relaxed gun laws.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:27 AM   #1354
Tikihut27
Learned to Love the Bomb

Army (Retired)

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I was speaking with some of my firearms instructors and they made it seem like all I had to do was show a Texas drivers license and I would be able to purchase a AR with no problems down in Texas due to their relaxed gun laws.
Sure you could. You just can't bring it back to NY.

When you come back up this way, if you are interested in an AR, let me know and I can help. I have built several ban-compliant AR's and am helping someone else with one right now.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #1355
Titan410
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Vince
Titan410 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1903A1 View Post
Question...who makes a good, reliable FN-FAL/L1A1/SLR-type rifle? I'd prefer one of the ones made up from surplus parts if possible.
DS Arms makes good stuff. I bought my FAL from a respected FAL builder, Rich at CGW, but he's no longer building them AFAIK.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #1356
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:

When you come back up this way, if you are interested in an AR, let me know and I can help. I have built several ban-compliant AR's and am helping someone else with one right now.

I would be interested. I will be home Feb 20th for hopefully 11 days depending on if I get my leave request ok'd.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #1357
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan410 View Post
DS Arms makes good stuff. I bought my FAL from a respected FAL builder, Rich at CGW, but he's no longer building them AFAIK.

Do they sell under any particular brand name or have a website? And are there any makers to stay away from? I've heard there's at least one maker (CAI?) whose FALs are often full of problems.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #1358
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
If you live in Texas and have a Texas driver's license, then you can buy a gun in Texas.

But you cannot bring it back to NY in the configuration you buy it in, unless it is post-ban compliant.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #1359
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

Trading: (40)
HdM
Cigarcop has disabled reputation

Hey any of you Ar guru's, whatcha think about the Troy Industries Rails...I need a 11 or 12" Rail for a project and not exactly sure what direction to go.

Def Rifle length, full free float, one piece, was also thinking DD Light rail for a bit more cashola>
Old 01-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #1360
AAlmeter
F.U.B.O.

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
AAlmeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I'd also be willing to help. I've built a few now as well and at the very least point you in the direction of a good FFL dealer/gunsmith who can make sure you're NY legal. I'm in the Buffalo area, and my knowledge of good FFLs/gunsmiths is limited to that area. Feel free to PM or email me.
Closed Thread