Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 08-02-2010, 08:40 PM   #661
ODLS1
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
ODLS1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1129 View Post
Out of curiosity, which bourbon do you prefer at that price point? I'm not trying to start something on here; I'm just curious as to another bourbon fan's opinion to see if there is something out there that I haven't tried yet.
Well it depends what you're looking for in a bourbon I guess. I feel like most other bourbons in the same price range as those are better though.
ODLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:14 AM   #662
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick B View Post
Damn! Sounds like that will build some character...
You have no idea. I'm getting into cigars but I drink that stuff for breakfast. It IS THE breakfast of champions. **** wheaties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatmiser View Post
That is some good bourbon there my friend!
You got that right! I enjoyed the Four Roses 120 anniversary too. I still gotta pick up this years Woodford Master's Collection. I typically only drink overproof bourbons 50%+. Noah's mill is a good one as well for a bit cheaper-ISH. I've personally had somewhere around ~30-35 different kind of bourbons no samples just bottles I've bought.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:05 AM   #663
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Just bought my first bottle of Knob Creek!! Here's to Labor Day!!
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:39 AM   #664
SmokinApe
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
SmokinApe has a spectacular aura aboutSmokinApe has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcode View Post
Just picked up a 12 year old Van Winkles can't wait to try it this weekend while at the ocean.

A "must have" for any serious bourbon drinker... I love this stuff...
Old 09-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #665
Barcode
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tom
Trading: (16)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
Barcode will become famous soon enough

Went to 'The Whiskey Bar' in Seattle this weekend and tried Hudson Baby Bourbon, Got home and had to order 2 Bottles.
Barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #666
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Matt-N-Ga will become famous soon enough

I'm waiting to find me a bottle of this...
http://www.whatdoesjohnknow.com/2010...batch-bourbon/

Sounds really good. Till then, I'm enjoying the Four Roses 2009 Mariage, Buffalo Trace,and Makers Mark 46
Matt-N-Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #667
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah

Partagas

These showed up today...Very excited...

Old 09-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #668
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-N-Ga View Post
These showed up today...Very excited...

Nice pickups, are these available here now that we get Buffalo Trace or do we still have to find them out out state?
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #669
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah

Partagas

I got all of them out of state. The Experimentals are a private experimental from Jay Erisman at The Pary Source. I also had him ship me the Four Roses cause I couldn't find it local either.

I'm on a waiting list for a store in Illinois for the 2010 Buffalo Trace Experiments. Fingers crossed....
Old 09-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #670
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-N-Ga View Post
I got all of them out of state. The Experimentals are a private experimental from Jay Erisman at The Pary Source. I also had him ship me the Four Roses cause I couldn't find it local either.

I'm on a waiting list for a store in Illinois for the 2010 Buffalo Trace Experiments. Fingers crossed....
Last year the Green's in Columbia, SC had them but no clue about the 2010...road trip?
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #671
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
Last year the Green's in Columbia, SC had them but no clue about the 2010...road trip?
pick me up on the way!
Old 09-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #672
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
hmmm, may have to call and ask and see if they will be getting any. the store I'm on the waiting list for was given to me by Kris Comstock, he's the head sales/warehousing/distribution guy, and even he said "good luck, this years is even smaller in quantity than any of the past years"
Old 09-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #673
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Just picked up a bottle of makers 46 it's very not bad
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #674
boom
Central Cali Cigar Crew

First Name: Troy
Trading: (107)
HdM
boom will become famous soon enoughboom will become famous soon enough

Just picked up Buffalo Trace....and a few extras....
boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #675
LooseCard
not wrapped too tight....

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
RyJ
LooseCard will become famous soon enough

Went softly this weekend, and put a hurtin' on my bottle of Gentleman Jack.

I have to admit, it's a nice taste and I'm not against a mixer when you go to JD's lines.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #676
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Not sure how many watchers of this thread went to the Shack Herf and got a taste of that
OLD whiskey that some nice man gave to DaveK. BUT, as it was the finest spirit I ever put
in me mouth, I was wondering, is there anything out there that comes anywhere CLOSE
to that stuff? I know it would have to have decades in a barrel to even come close,
since I think that was the allure of the mysterious bottles Dave had and SHARED (glug).
But I have been hell bent to find something like that in a store so I can have a shot now and
again. And to clarify, my shot took me 45 mins to drink at the shack. A little went a LONG way.
It literally exploded with flavor on the palate, like a liquid pop-rock under concentrate.
It was chewable. And I want to do it again.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #677
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Not sure how many watchers of this thread went to the Shack Herf and got a taste of that OLD whiskey that some nice man gave to DaveK. BUT, as it was the finest spirit I ever put in me mouth, I was wondering, is there anything out there that comes anywhere CLOSE
to that stuff? I know it would have to have decades in a barrel to even come close, since I think that was the allure of the mysterious bottles Dave had and SHARED (glug). But I have been hell bent to find something like that in a store so I can have a shot now and again. And to clarify, my shot took me 45 mins to drink at the shack. A little went a LONG way. It literally exploded with flavor on the palate, like a liquid pop-rock under concentrate. It was chewable. And I want to do it again.

That's it!!! Your Gone - you are now on a never ending quest for something that you most likely will never find. Enjoy the trip!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:13 AM   #678
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
[/color]

That's it!!! Your Gone - you are now on a never ending quest for something that you most likely will never find. Enjoy the trip!
Normally I would say that you are right, it's always that way, especially on this forum and
sub-sub forum. It's all slopes of one kind or another. But I am not sure I want to pay
150-350 a bottle for that taste. I am gonna try some of these supposed 16 year old
bourbons, since I read here and there that too much barrel age is not all that good for
bourbon. Lemme tell you, it sure did that label-less bottle good. We will have to
see if I get all turned around or not. Certainly keep you posted, lol. As it's friday,
I am gonna make a stop by Buster's on the way home and pick either a Hirsch,
or a pappy or just a plain ol Woodford's and get home and relax. Already got the 4 Roses,
so you'd think I could just drink that. But NOOooo.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #679
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

I'm currently looking for a new bourbon to try... something off the beaten path so to speak any suggestions, favorites you enjoy?
Old 10-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #680
OLS
Suck It

Well, Justin, I am an oddball, as you know. I stock WIld Turkey, but not many love that too much.
When it comes down to grabbing a bottle of show-stopping sippin whiskey, you would have a hard
time topping Woodford's Reserve. 4 Roses Single Barrel is fine. Eagle Rare is no slouch. I guess
none are off the beaten path, as you characterize it. But maybe that's right about what you wanted.
If not, reading most of this thread is a great activity.