Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 10-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #2721
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

I smoked a spicy rubbed shoulder in the cabinet for a few hours yesterday, finished it by braising in the oven for a few more. It doesn't appear to suck. It was too late for the queen to sample before she went to bed last night, but I will do a batch of Carolina sauce tonight and get the verdict.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:35 AM   #2722
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Finally started to get some cool mornings again here, so it's time to make some smoked cheese.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smk_chz-1.jpg (93.7 KB, 380 views)
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #2723
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

mmmmmmmmm cheese
And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” Acts 10:13
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #2724
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

2 bellies worth of bacon done yesterday. Time to slice and vac pac them tonight. A mixture of alder, apple and cherry for the smoke.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #2725
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

All done and vacuum sealed. Three or four more mornings like today and I'll be set with holiday giveaways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smk_chz-3.jpg (70.7 KB, 384 views)
Old 10-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #2726
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

What cheeses do you smoke and what do you use for wood? Sounds like something I'd like to try.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #2727
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
What cheeses do you smoke and what do you use for wood? Sounds like something I'd like to try.
I typically use sharp cheddar and alder. Of all the cheeses and smoke wood combos that I tired, it yielded the best and most popular results.

It's pretty easy to do. All you need is a tin can, a weller soldering iron (other brands seem to burn up under this misuse) and some wood chips. Clean the grates on the grill or use pastry cooling racks to hold the cheese above the grate and load the can, stuff the iron in it, put it down at the bottom, let it run for 1-3 hours depending on how much smoke it's making, how thick the cheese is and smoky you like things. After you pull the cheese off, cool it down, then vacuum seal it and leave it alone for at least a week or so.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a pm.

Last edited by T.G; 10-19-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #2728
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

That sounds awesome, Adam.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #2729
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

I've done cheddar and jack with mesquite. I bought a cheap charcoal grill and some dryer vent hose with duct tape. I tape the vent hose chimney to chimney from my Traeger to the grill and it works like a charm. Next experiment is cold smoked salmon. You can PM me as well with any questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I typically use sharp cheddar and alder. Of all the cheeses and smoke wood combos that I tired, it yielded the best and most popular results.

It's pretty easy to do. All you need is a tin can, a weller soldering iron (other brands seem to burn up under this misuse) and some wood chips. Clean the grates on the grill or use pastry cooling racks to hold the cheese above the grate and load the can, stuff the iron in it, put it down at the bottom, let it run for 1-3 hours depending on how much smoke it's making, how thick the cheese is and smoky you like things. After you pull the cheese off, cool it down, then vacuum seal it and leave it alone for at least a week or so.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a pm.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #2730
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Peter is MacGyver.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:18 PM   #2731
pnoon
YNWA

Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Peter is MacGyver.
No sh!t. Wait till you see the pictures.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #2732
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
No sh!t. Wait till you see the pictures.
I love you, man.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #2733
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

I just checked the freshly smoked bacon supply. About 15 pounds.
That should do for a bit. It is time to break out the sharp thingies and the vac sealer.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #2734
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Teach me how to smoke pork belly. I really want to do up a bunch before winter.
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #2735
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I go with a pretty basic recipe from the Polcyn/Ruhlman book "Charcuterie," but a little google fu can provide you with a wealth of info.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/134/smoking-bacon
Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #2736
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I googled it. There were so many results, I didn't know which to trust. Thanks for the link! Going to check it out now.
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #2737
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Picked up a 10lb pork butt tonight. Injected it and rubbed it. Throwing it on the egg tomorrow late night for a 5pm dinner on Saturday. Going to pull it and do BBQ pulled pork sandwiches. Then were also going to do carnitas with a habanero jelly glaze tacos with jalapeño cilantro lime sauce . Should be a great dinner with the family on Saturday.

On another note, I need a vacuum sealer in a bad way. Can any of you recommend a good one that isn't too expensive?
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:55 AM   #2738
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
The way I do bacon is very simple.

-Cut the skin off if it is still on
-Wash the belly well and then pat dry with paper towels
-Spinkle both sides of the belly with about 1/4 cup of Kosher salt total (not 1/4 cup per side)
-Add any other seasonings you want - I have been using some turbinado sugar
-Put belly in a non-metalic container preferably one where the liquid can collect without the belly in the liquid. I have bought a plastic "bus tub" and it works great.
-Put it in the refrigerator
-After 24 hours pour the liquid off, flip and put on about 1/2 teaspoon more salt
-Repeat the above step for a total of 5 days but only put the additional salt on once
-After the fifth day wash the belly and let it soak in water while you get the smoke fired up.
-Put the belly on the smoker at 200 (I like to use cherry or hickory for smoke)
-Pull it once the internal temp is 150 (about 3 hours)
-Refrigerate it to cool
-Slice (a slicer makes this an easy job)
-I make stacks of 8 slices on wax paper, flip it, and stack 8 more. Then I wrap the wax paper around both. I will put 3 of those into a vacuum seal bag and then freeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
I need a vacuum sealer in a bad way. Can any of you recommend a good one that isn't too expensive?
Ian, the Foodsavers are really nice, but they are relatively expensive. I bought a Seal-A-Meal years ago. After a year or so it went bad but they sent me a new one. After another year or so that one went bad... they replaced that too. I think they finally ended up replacing 4-5. The last time they told me they weren't replacing it any more!!! This one has lasted 3-4 years!!!

It is a simple, inexpensive, easy to keep clean unit. No matter what you buy I think you will find the bulk bag rolls to be the best. At Sam's etc you can buy a box with several rolls each of two different width bags. That way you can make the bags whatever length you want.

Also, it is a good idea to always precool meat before you bag it. That way you don't get the moisture pulling up on the seam as it is sealing.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:02 AM   #2739
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

One key for adding spices/herbs to your pork belly while it cures is to use a lot more than you think. I tried garlic once, adding about 6 smashed cloves to each piece (3-4lb) and cured for 7-9 days. Smoked, sliced, etc. No garlic taste what so ever. Next time I try, it'll at least double that amount.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:48 AM   #2740
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
I go with a pretty basic recipe from the Polcyn/Ruhlman book "Charcuterie," but a little google fu can provide you with a wealth of info.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/134/smoking-bacon
I love reading smokingmeatforums.com. I've been a member there for a while and I'm still learning stuff.
Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote