Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 11-01-2010, 02:05 AM   #21
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Grinder and Press Suggestions

You bastages! As usual my budget is fail.....well I hope I have a job by Xmas. The parents will kick my ass if they ever figure out I spent $350-400 on them for Xmas! I hope they don't figure it out

Maybe I'll get away with it if the package says BOOM! when they open it? Then a nice note that says you've been bombed....
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:00 AM   #22
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

There is the perfect world and then there is the real world. We are not all setting fire to $20 cigars every day, right? When real world intrudes on coffee, please consider that tens of thousands of cheerful, well-caffeinated people make excellent press/drip coffee every day with burr mills that cost less than $150. There are financial times to be crazy and there are times to be-ware...

Don't rule out the Krups, Capresso etc. grinders that do the job just fine until your ship comes in. Christmas? It's about the thought, the love and the doing unto others - more about making someone coffee than making a purchase, anyhow.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...code=BW1PF1054

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CEEQ8wIwAg#
Old 11-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #23
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

My Capresso Grinder works just great for Press and drip, and it doesnt break the bank. As far as trying to convert your dad, if he doesnt like sludge at the bottom of his cup you will not convert him. So start small, in price.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #24
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

The little Krups we use for my wife's drip has served well for a few years and every time I look at the burrs, I am amazed at how well they are holding up.

I can't recall the exact price I paid for it, but it wasn't much more than 50 bucks.

Not a Macap or Mazzer, but doesn't need to be for her drip coffee.

I roast light for her drip and darker for my espresso and everyone seems to be getting along just fine in my house.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #25
klipsch

When I dumped all of my espresso gear I was faced with the decision of what to buy to move forward with my everyday coffee. I decided to go with the Baratza Virtuoso. That was based on my experience with a quality espresso grinder (Macap M4 Stepless), and the belief that you get what you pay for. Does it do that much better than the grinders that can be had for less than $100? Grind wise...I can't say...build wise, it's a tank, and I don't plan on having to buy another grinder to replace this one. I think that anything from Mazzer, Macap or Rancilio (Rocky), is absolute overkill for drip or press coffee, and for the added expense you'll never notice any difference. As far as presses or other options go...I have two Bodum presses and a Chemex pour over for regular coffee and a couple of Brikka pots to punch it up a notch if desired. If you shop enough, around you should be able to get into what you want for $200.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #26
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

I have this grinder: http://www.lowes.com/pd_190550-1225-...ffee%2Bgrinder
Not bad for the price, and pretty simple to use.

I have a classic Bodum French press. I've only used it for a few days, but haven't had one issue out of either one yet.

Those two should set you back about $75, enough left over to buy a few bags of beans to go with!
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #27
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Well my dads old grinder broke so I bought the maestro that a lot of you recommended so far it is at least 10 times better and grinds a pound of coffee very nicely in matter of minutes. Was easily worth the $99 shipped from amazon. Shopping for a french press now. Thanks a lot guys.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #28
BloodSpite
He Who Dares...WINS!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
HdM Army (Disabled Vet)
BloodSpite is on a distinguished road

Presses really are a dime a dozen. And you can always modify them if your a real coffee hound (I bought one of the drip style gold mesh filters, trimmed it to fit between the brace and the screen of my Press...it's as close to sediment free as I think a press can get)

Otherwise you can pick one up at almost any coffee shop. Heck I'd even go to Starbucks and look at them so you get an idea hands on what your wanting size and durability wise.

Just make sure the glass is thick, not cheap, the plunger assembly can be separated to be cleaned, and that most of all it delivers the amount of coffee you want.
BloodSpite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #29
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

I lke the Bodum Chambord best as far as looks. We have 5 of them in 3 different sizes. I know you can make a small amount in a large press but when you do you are forced to really pour all the water from underneath the filter, which does get some additional amount of sediment in it. When you have a small press, most of that one cup is already sitting above the filter and you can afford to just leave a few sips from under the filter (yes I know it sort of flows through the filter the whole time, but the long you keep it tilted and wait for it, the more comes through). hope I'm making any sense at all.

Then I also have this which is pretty cool:
http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Stainles.../dp/B0026L7DWE
Old 12-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #30
itzfrank

Starbucks sells a recycled plastic/glass Bodum in two sizes. Large one can be found for $19.99.

Mine works perfectly and cleans great.