Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2011, 12:32 PM   #81
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's see those '11 gardens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
First fruit!

Still waiting on the strawberries, squash, cucumbers and peppers. Everything but peppers look like they are getting there.
Congratulations!!!
Don't eat them yet!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #82
whodeeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Wayne, here's a couple of shots from a few years ago. I went through a heirloom tomato phase and grew 40-50 different types. I gave them away to folks at work, friends, and had my dad's garden stacked. Heirlooms don't cross-pollinate retaining specific seeds is quite easy. I ran into some really good tomatoes!

Jamie i was going to ask you used heirloom seeds while reading an earlier post you made, then I came across this qoute! I bought a big thing of heirmloom seeds in '07 from a site called www.survivalseeds.com pretty interesting read. (Based on your experience of buying heirloom seeds was this a good deal or not?) (Thanks in advance for your opinion!)

I'm not sure if the canister is in my garage or not. I really don't have a lot of downtime, but i'm thinking i could maybe mess around with this on weekends. My Father always had gardens when we were growing up, and we used to help him maintain them until we became teenagers. I honestly don't remember most of those lessons anymore, but it can't be that hard to pick back up i'm sure.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #83
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Did some transplanting of the random tomato plants yesterday. Put the cages on them afterwards. Also put up a big trelis for my wisteria to grow up onto.
Wife and I hit the market yesterday and picked up a wide variety of basil plants to put in pots by the pool. Love me some fresh basil!
She bought a rose tree also?.?.... Kinda weird looking.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:45 AM   #84
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodeeni View Post
Jamie i was going to ask you used heirloom seeds while reading an earlier post you made, then I came across this qoute! I bought a big thing of heirmloom seeds in '07 from a site called www.survivalseeds.com pretty interesting read.
The link is a bust - asking for login/password, etc.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #85
BC-Axeman

I finished plumbing the PVC for the irrigation yesterday. Now the watering can be automated. I recycle PVC that has been used for many things before. It's starting to get a lot of unions in it.
Nothing in the ground yet, but that should change by the end of the week.
I'm planting one box with perennials. Mostly berries, maybe asparagus if it grows here. Everbearing strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, so far.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #86
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Planted some blackberry plants (one plant each: chester, olallie and triple-crown) a few weeks ago, but being bare root plants, I won't see any fruit off of them for at least another year..
For God's sake get those things in containers. Blackberries are a horribly invasive and difficult-
to-control "weed". Once they get a good foothold, they will spread and put stickers where you
don't want em.

As for my gardening, too much shade in the area where gardening is safe. And too many idiot dogs
to trample everything. If I planted in the sun, it would be in the "front yard" where every idiot
neighborhood scumbag would just steal all the produce or vandalize the garden itself. SO I
must live vicariously through you guys' photos.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #87
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
For God's sake get those things in containers. Blackberries are a horribly invasive and difficult-
to-control "weed". Once they get a good foothold, they will spread and put stickers where you
don't want em.

As for my gardening, too much shade in the area where gardening is safe. And too many idiot dogs
to trample everything
. If I planted in the sun, it would be in the "front yard" where every idiot
neighborhood scumbag would just steal all the produce or vandalize the garden itself. SO I
must live vicariously through you guys' photos.
I was doing some work in the front yard yesterday while a lady passed with her dog roaming in everyones yard pissing on everything. I hollered over to her, "Is that your dog?" She replied, "yes." I hollered back, "Did you know Tennessee has a leash law?" She replied, "no."
Idiot.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #88
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
I finished plumbing the PVC for the irrigation yesterday. Now the watering can be automated. I recycle PVC that has been used for many things before. It's starting to get a lot of unions in it.
Pic:
Old 05-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #89
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Nice Arties, Lance!

My squash are loaded. I figure I'll get 25-30 in about a week. Saw some cherrie tomatoes about marble-sized. Peppers are flowering. Also dug a few potatoes from the compost bin.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #90
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Nothing in the ground yet, but that should change by the end of the week.
I'm planting one box with perennials. Mostly berries, maybe asparagus if it grows here. Everbearing strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, so far.
Thats what I want to try out next year. Run PVC pipes and a few sprinklers/drips for better water control. That and make another 10x20' addition to my garden.

I have gotten about 4+gallons of snap beans. I got 2gallons, the nieghbors got a gallon each and I probably got 3-4more gallons left growing.
My carrots are about pencil thick and 3" long.
The cukes have umpteen blossoms and minis showing up.
The Lima beans have tons of bloom and a few beens popping up.
The Soybeans will be picked either the end of this week or next week.
thebayratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #91
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Going to transplant the tomatoes today. Wife wanted them in individual containers. Got everything today.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #92
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebayratt View Post
I want to say Contendor or Tendergreen from Ferry Morse, but will have to go find the package to make sure tomrrow for ya.
Ever find out what they were? I hate to be a bother about it, but that's an amazing yield and I would like to replicate it if I could.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #93
AUguy
The end is always near

First Name: William
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
AUguy will become famous soon enough

This is my entire garden until this summer.

Just some sweet basil in my hotel room. I have way more than I will ever be able to use by myself. I think I am going to start drying some to save. I am fighting the flower buds. It seems like every time I turn around it tries to bloom.

In about 10 weeks I will be able to grow some tomatoes and peppers. The only problem is that by then the heat will really stress out the plants so I will not have great yields. Maybe next year I will be able to get a "normal" job so I can plant the garden I have been day dreaming about for the last several years.
AUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #94
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Sweet Corn, Tomatoes (6 varieties), Peppers (only 2 varieties this year), new potatoes, Green Beans, Butterpeas, Sweet Potatoes, Pink-eye purple hull peas, squash, zucchini, cucumber, okra, sweet Texas yellow onions. I think that about gets all in the pics.

Last edited by SvilleKid; 10-24-2011 at 07:43 PM.
SvilleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #95
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Nice pics. Totally jealous of the size of some of your yards!
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #96
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Nice pics. Totally jealous of the size of some of your yards!
LOL! With 6 acres total (maybe 4 in woods), the garden is a productive and tasty way of having LESS grass to cut/care for!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #97
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Damn, everytime I see this thread, I read it as, "Let's See Those 11 foot Gardens" and I think to myself, "is there some sort of special garden thats only 11'?
Old 05-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #98
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

Love looking at the garden pics. Hopefully when the ankle biters are knee biters I'll have time to start a garden and they can help. Till then just do a CSA share for veggies and fruit.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #99
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I put three more bushes in out front today.
I also tore apart an old workbench and have 2-2'(?)x8'x4" frames that will work perfect for a micro lady garden.
I guess something is better than nothing, right? I'll find a spot to put them in the back yard and start filling them with poop and dirt. There's tons of silt that washed out of the empty lot next door, plus Lowe's is aching to sell me more poop, so I'm gonna run on over there after a bit and gank some poop.
I'm really thrilled to put in a zuchini and maybe a couple tomatos and some lettuce and cukes. Just enough for salads, ya know?
Old 05-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #100
ridenlive

Cool Re: Let's see those '11 gardens!

Currently under construction