Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #21
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Re: When to put it down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I put it down when I stop enjoying it. That being said, it can vary from stick to stick. I have had cigars that I would smoke till the nub was so small it was burning my fingers. I have put others down with a good 2 or more inches left.

Don't smoke it just because you want to get your money's worth out of it, thinking that it is a quantity thing - that only breeds resentment.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
This.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #22
kickerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
I have smoked some Macanudo's until my lips almost caught on fire.
haha, good stuff!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:14 AM   #23
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerb View Post
doesnt the flavor change throughout, i mean all the reviews talk about the flavor changes. why stop early and possibly miss good flavor? this is probably a n00b questions haha i'm just curious

i notice flavor changes in almost all the smokes I have enjoyed.
I can't speak for Tom or Moe, but here's how I look at it...

Of course the flavor changes (in most cases anyway), this is part of the enjoyment of the cigar. Eventually though, it gets to a point where the flavor has changed into something that is no longer a pleasant or likable flavor. This is the point at which I will put the cigar down for the last time as not to detract from the memory of and reduce the experience of the enjoyable part that I have already finished. There's really no set rule as to when that point will occur.

On a secondary note, smoking a cigar past that point can really mess up your palate for the next cigar.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #24
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post

Of course the flavor changes (in most cases anyway), this is part of the enjoyment of the cigar. Eventually though, it gets to a point where the flavor has changed into something that is no longer a pleasant or likable flavor. This is the point at which I will put the cigar down for the last time as not to detract from the memory of and reduce the experience of the enjoyable part that I have already finished. There's really no set rule as to when that point will occur.

On a secondary note, smoking a cigar past that point can really mess up your palate for the next cigar.
What Adam said

There is a point where a cigar just starts to taste "bitter" for lack of a better word. This is usually the point of no return. Sometimes that point can be an inch in, sometimes it can be down to the nub.

Sometimes cigars taste "off". Maybe they were improperly stored, in their sick period, etc. You dont know until you light it, and by then its too late to do anything to rectify the situation.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #25
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
There lies the real danger...once you get a blast of tar on your tongue, it gets into all
the nooks and crannies in your sinuses and that might be all you taste of the next smoke.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #26
kickerb

Quote:

great explanation, thanks!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #27
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Just a note from my experience. I have had cigars that got bitter and then became GREAT smokes. I have also had cigars that got bitter and no amount of purging or continued smoking improved it. But in my experience the former usually happens.

But it seems I am usually the exception when it comes to cigar smoking.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #28
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

I put it down when it gets hot or no longer provides enjoyment.
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #29
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I agree with Adam, but also in certain instances with Wayne. There are times when a cigar gets a bit bitter early on, and I smoke through it for a short time and it changes for the better...but that is the exception to the rule for me,

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #30
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Todd.
If I don't enjoy a smoke, it's history. Sometimes that's a minute in. Sometimes I'll smoke a bit more out of respect for the BOTL that's given it to me, just to give it a fair shake.
Sometimes I'll smoke it down to where I want to eat the nub. Those are the really, really good ones, in my book.
Sometimes they go south on me halfway through. Even if they were fabulous for the first half, when it goes bad, it goes in the alley.
I'm just not going to smoke a cigar I don't enjoy. Like Tom said, life is way too short.

Boiled down, it's simply "when I stop enjoying it".
Old 03-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #31
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
There are times when a cigar gets a bit bitter early on, and I smoke through it for a short time and it changes for the better...but that is the exception to the rule for me,
I will do that too, I just didn't want to muddy the explanation I gave earlier with trying to explain that.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #32
Krish the Fish
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Krishna
Trading: (2)
Trinidad
Krish the Fish is on a distinguished road

Until the enjoyment ceases. For some cigars that's the fourth puff. For others it will be a quarter of an inch left. All depends on the cigar.
Krish the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #33
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Ok yeah that is what I am talking about. The stick I smoked last night started out with a really bitter/nasty flavor on my lips, so much so that I was actually wiping my face with my sleeve. I gave it five puffs and a block or two(walking the dog) and that totally went away and the smoke got enjoyable. Then with about 1.5 inches left it started to get a little harsh in the back of my throat but that only lasted for 2-3 puffs. Then it warmed up a little and had a nice flavor till it started to go to my head and I put it down...

What I am trying to say/ask is that I don't want to give up too early on a stick that might turn out to be good or at least worth smoking. The issues I had last night made it an ok stick that I will try again, and if I had put it down through the rough spots I might not have enjoyed it at all.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #34
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

I like to smoke them pretty far down if I'm enjoying the cigar, but that's when I slow down and let it rest longer bewteen draws. If I don't like it, or it gets boring, I might not even make it halfway through the cigar.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #35
beyonder
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Cohiba
beyonder is on a distinguished road

Gotta agree with the majority here, and put it down when it's not enjoyable anymore. Sometimes it's my fault that it went bad if I smoked a bit too fast and sometimes it's just a bad stick or a new cigar I'm trying and it's clear it's not my type. If it starts going bad maybe try a purge or let it sit but I'll throw it away at whatever point I realize I'm not going to enjoy it. Sometimes that's down to the last inch and sometimes that's within the first inch, just depends on the stick.

Kind of like cooking. If I ruined it with bad ingredients, improper preparation, cooked it too much or too fast, if its a new recipe I tried out that I never had before, or I just don't like how it tastes I might try to add a little something to it but at the end of the day if I don't like it I don't keep eating just because I paid money for the ingredients and took the time to make it.
beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote