Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #1941
gravelman

Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Tiki, that's a great looking rifle...I'm hoping you've gotten the opportunity to shoot it. Hows it shoot?

Old 02-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #1942
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

Trading: (40)
HdM
Cigarcop has disabled reputation

Just came yesterday from my Smith, 338LM finished at 21" build on a Surgeon 1581XL action, Rock 9.4 twist, Sentinel Stock, Jewell Trigger, Titan Suppressor...I need some warmer days now!!

Old 02-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #1943
Tikihut27
Learned to Love the Bomb

Trading: (3)
Army (Retired)
Tikihut27 has a spectacular aura aboutTikihut27 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravelman View Post
Tiki, that's a great looking rifle...I'm hoping you've gotten the opportunity to shoot it. Hows it shoot?
Thanks, I'll shoot it once the weather warms up a bit. Upstate NY...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarcop View Post
Just came yesterday from my Smith, 338LM finished at 21" build on a Surgeon 1581XL action, Rock 9.4 twist, Sentinel Stock, Jewell Trigger, Titan Suppressor...I need some warmer days now!!
Gorgeous. Reach out & touch someone...
Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #1944
gravelman

Understandable, I have a Romanian WASR. Took it out for the first time this spring, glad to get back outside and put some rounds through it.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #1945
Neens
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (21)
Montecristo
Neens will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarcop View Post
Thats one nice looking rifle. I wouldn't mind seeing some targets once the weather gets warmer if you don't mind posting them.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:08 AM   #1946
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Held one of these yesterday. I will buy one as soon as they are available. Kimber Solo 9mm. Shorter height and length than the Kahr PM9. Damn near the same thickness.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #1947
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Held one of these yesterday. I will buy one as soon as they are available. Kimber Solo 9mm. Shorter height and length than the Kahr PM9. Damn near the same thickness.

Looks like a winner to me. Ill wait for more info to become available. But this may put my glock out of rotation.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #1948
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Never seen or heard of a Kimber Solo before. Very interesting.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #1949
Will herf for food

VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by safariguy View Post
You have had success with these guys, Mike?
Not personally, but I've read good things.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #1950
Ender
Ok, maybe just one.

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (1)
Partagas
Ender will become famous soon enoughEnder will become famous soon enough

That's pretty sweet looking.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #1951
druturn

Alright fellas, I need some advice from fellow CHL holders. I am about to apply for my CHL as soon as my birthday hits and will be buying a pistol to carry concealed. I have been debating which pistol to carry for probably near a year now. I have been stuck on a 1911 since forever because I love the look, feel, slimness, and shooting abilities of it. I was recently introduced to the H&K USP .45 ACP 12 round and loved the hell out of it. I know that pistol shopping and carrying all comes down to preference, but I want to hear from folks who carry large frame and wide pistols. Is it really that much of a burden to carry a large frame pistol such as this? My father carries an XD 9mm, which from my gathering, appears to be about the same size as the USP and he seems to have no complaints about it. I am a big guy and tend to think that I can handle concealing a large frame pistol fairly easily. This issue also comes down to DA vs. SA. I know that a cocked and locked gun is safe if handled properly. I have been around and using guns since a very young age and am extremely comfortable using nearly all types of firearms. For some reason carrying a cocked and locked 1911 still just scares the bejesus out of me and I would rather carry a loaded and decocked DA USP. Anyways, any thoughts on these issues/questions fellas?

Old 02-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #1952
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

I rotate in and out of Glock 19, and 27. Both chunky guns but certainly not a steel frame behemoth.

I carry with one in the pipe its not an issue the double action trigger pull doesnt bother me. With all things train with what you are going to carry.

Not a whole lot on insight but its what works for me.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #1953
Will herf for food

VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by druturn View Post
For some reason carrying a cocked and locked 1911 still just scares the bejesus out of me and I would rather carry a loaded and decocked DA USP. Anyways, any thoughts on these issues/questions fellas?
I am a huge 1911 fan. I carry my full size 38 oz "government" model. No matter what firearm you carry, get a good belt. Get a gun belt, or at least a two piece leather belt. They cut the pieces differently, one with and one against the grain. That way, when worn, the belt won't stretch. It will also be much more rigid and help support whatever gun you carry. "Gun belts" are almost always two piece and sometimes even have plastic inserts for even more rigidity.

As far as your concerns, do not be worried about carrying a 1911 cocked & locked. My Kimber has a fireing pin block that won't let it move until the grip safety is depressed. Then I still have to switch the thumb safety into position and pull the trigger to make it fire. It is not un-safe. That said, if you can't get over the mental hurdle, look for a different design. Many DAO type pistols have no real safety. IMO a cocked and locked 1911 is much safer.

If you haven't already shot both finalists, do so. If you have, it's really up to you. If I was going to get another pistol soon, it would be the Kimber CDP Pro-Carry. It is the 4 inch barrel with the full size grip, but it also has an aluminum alloy frame, trigicon 3-dot night sites, and an ambi thumb safety. I too am a big guy, and I can't stand my pinky hanging off of the grip of a firearm. Otherwise I'd move to the smaller "Ultra Carry" 3.5 inch barrel models.

Like cigars and our opinons of them, your advice will vary. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #1954
MTB996
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
Partagas
MTB996 is on a distinguished road

^^^ Agreed.

I highly recommend a 1911. Carry it for a few days unloaded (triple check) in condition 1 and try your hardest to get the hammer to fall. I was surprised that all the abuse I put mine through, the hammer never dropped. Solved my mental concerns about carrying that way.

Now, my primary CCW is a Dan Wesson Vbob. Conceals great, comfortable (its amazing how much width matters), reliable and shoots like a dream.

Good luck with whatever you choose, shoot everything and pick your favorite.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #1955
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Looks like a winner to me. Ill wait for more info to become available. But this may put my glock out of rotation.
Should be badass. If feels fantastic. Only complaint I have is that the grips are VERY VERY slippery. They will need to be replaced asap. No problem to me. I'd like to have some mahogany colored curly maple.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #1956
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357 View Post
Never seen or heard of a Kimber Solo before. Very interesting.
Just introduced in January. Cannot even really get them yet. Any that the dealers have are display models and they will not sell them.
Pretty rad..
-9mm (obviously)
-made for deep conceal
-Carry melt is fantastic
Old 02-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #1957
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Quote:
Should be badass. If feels fantastic. Only complaint I have is that the grips are VERY VERY slippery. They will need to be replaced asap. No problem to me. I'd like to have some mahogany colored curly maple.
Who could buy a Kimber and leave it stock Im sure I will end up with 10 sets of grips. Mammoth Ivory anyone
Old 02-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #1958
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:

Looks nicer than my PM9.. I was never much one for looks, though. I've never seen a mirror that wasn't ugly.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #1959
jdawg
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (2)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
jdawg is on a distinguished road

That Kimber looks sweet!

Pertaining to Drew's question about concealed carry, I am really jealous of you guys that live in a state that has concealed carry. Unfortunately for me, I am in one of the last two remaining states where concealed carry is still not allowed. Sucks!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:33 AM   #1960
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Who could buy a Kimber and leave it stock Im sure I will end up with 10 sets of grips. Mammoth Ivory anyone
I went from this

to this on my Kimber Raptor 4"