Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #21
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: EP Carrillo New Wave Connecticut

Great review, we got these on the shelves today and I picked up the Robusto. Going to see how these smoke tomorrow.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #22
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (13)
poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough

Nice review. I've got one more of these to smoke and review.. the first couple I've had were excellent though.

Bearded Dad Blog
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #23
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

I bought a fiver of the stella (5 1/8x42) awhile ago and had another one of them today. This might be my new favorite connie. At least as good as the Oliva Connecticut reserve and a good contrast with it because it's less mild. Love that grassy cedary flavor. Great value.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:54 PM   #24
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

I have heard good things about these...Thanks for the review! Just saw a some at B&M in Pittsburgh and should've grabbed a few. I will look forward to trying them in the near future.
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #25
okiemusicman

I've tried several different vitolas and the Stellas are by far my favorite in this line. These really open up going into the second half. Definitely the best connie I've had to date!
Old 01-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #26
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I'm lovin' these too, smoked a robusto Friday, but my next fiver is gonna be the Stellas.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #27
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Smoked a NWC robusto at EPC thanks to Ernie Carillo and the fabulous Hernandez brothers.

A couple of things stood out to me smoking this great cigar: one, the flavor and complexity. Rare in a Connecticut, the depth and breadth of this stick blew me away. And this wasn't just power for power's sake; this was a flavor bomb. The combination of a long bout with the flu and the fact that this was the 3rd cigar in just a matter of hours prevented me from discerning any individual nuances, but they were there nonetheless.

And the other thing that stood out was that this lacked any of the bitterness, sourness or off-flavors which often accompany a Connie wrapper. This was sweet and without anything off-putting.

I was impressed, but then again it's blended by Ernesto Carillo so excellence should come as no surprise.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #28
4WheelVFR
Wild'n since '87

First Name: Ray
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about4WheelVFR has a spectacular aura about

Just smoked one of these in the "El Decano" size which is a 6x60. I'm usually not a fan of RG's this big, nor a big fan of Connecticut wrapper cigars, but I was definitely pleased with this one. Overall flavor was that of nuttiness, buttery, and very smooth. I also experienced the somewhat brittle wrapper issues that the OP described, but it did not take away from the smoke at all. This is the first time I've smoked one, but I would definitely recommend it and will probably be looking for a fiver or two of these. Nice smoke.
4WheelVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #29
heavyd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
heavyd has disabled reputation

I just bought a box of Stellas. This is a great review. I am really looking forward to these now.

"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright." ~Bill Withers
heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote