Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough
Default XIKAR Xi3 Spectra

XIKAR Xi3 Spectra Cutter
Retail $79.99

Some of you may be asking yourselves whether or not I am some kind of XIKAR fanboy since this is my third XIKAR product review in 3 months. I won't lie, I love XIKAR products and have more of their products lined up for review. No, I do not work for them or get paid or compensated in any way for reviewing their products. I like to promote things that I like and feel confident that other cigar smokers will like as well. Everything I review I have personally used multiple times. With XIKAR products I find three things that keep me coming back to them for my accessory needs:

The products are well made and function properly.
Lifetime warranty. With cutters this includes blade sharpening.
Excellent customer service that I have personally witnessed.

I bought my XIKAR Xi3 Spectra from an online retailer a couple of years ago and it has been well used. The XIKAR Xi3 Spectra has a multi-colored look that comes from being coated with Titanium Nitride. It is very eye catching with colors of pink, purple, blue, and green. The first time I saw one I knew this was the XIKAR cutter I wanted just because I like the look. According to XIKAR all Xi cutters will cut a 54 ring gauge cigar in half and depending on how much cap you cut, they will cut up to a 58 ring gauge. I have actually had great experience cutting cigar with a 60 ring gauge since I do not cut very much cap off. The Xi3 Spectra features the classic XIKAR teardrop shape and double guillotine blades made from 440 stainless steel.

The Xi3 Spectra has a little weight to it compared to the Xi and Xi2. It is not heavy at all but it has more weight to it compared to other cutters. Holding it in my hand and looking over it you can feel and see the high quality materials used in constructing the cutter. A little knob in the middle easily pushes down and pops the double guillotine blades open. The blades are hinged at the bottom and the cutter opens and closes very smoothly. When closing the blades you hear a click as the locking device locks the blades back into position. Each blade operates separately and they will not lock unless you squeeze them both together.

Most importantly how does this Xi3 Spectra cutter function when cutting a cigar? I like to say it cuts cigars like butter. No doubt about it the blades on this cutter are super sharp and I am sure it could cut through various materials so be sure to be safe when cutting and keep your fingers away. I didn't realize that XIKAR actually has instructions on their website on how to properly use the cutter. I guess it just came naturally to me. I pop the cutter open with my thumb and let the edge of the bottom blade rest in the crook of my first knuckles of my fingers. I rest my thumb on the outside edge of the top blade and insert my cigar into the opening. Squeeze the blades together and you get a nice smooth easy cut on the end of your cigar. Be sure your fingers and thumb rest on the outside edge of the cutter. One time I had my thumb on the top of the blade wing and when I cut my cigar and the blades locked into place the skin on my thumb was pinched and it hurt like you wouldn't believe. Just some advice so you do not make that mistake that I did. When used properly this is a very safe and fantastic cigar cutter. I always get a nice, smooth, even cut with this cutter as you can see in the picture below.

Price is subjective just as what we all like in flavor or strength in our cigars. At first I found the $79.99 price tag on this cutter to be high in my opinion. That was before I owned it though. I have used many cutters and tried various cutting methods. When comparing this cutter to other brands I find the construction and quality of materials to be superior to others. With a lifetime warranty, free blade sharpening, free sheath, and outstanding customer service I think the value of what you get is well worth the full retail price. The only worry you would have is if you lost your cutter. Anything else is going to be covered. This could be the only cutter I would need for the rest of my life so divide the price over the next 40 years (I hope) and that is a huge value to me.

I have seen XIKAR reps at events look at someone's cutter and switch it out with a new one on the spot. No questions asked and no hoops to jump through. They also donate items to our soldiers every month and that personally means a lot to me since I served my country as well. They take great pride in their customer service which is a lost art in this country.

If you have an issue with the price on this particular cutter remember to look at the Xi and Xi2 as well as some of the other cutter options XIKAR has. You will find something in your price range and you will get the same high level of customer service and lifetime warranty. I have used the Xi and Xi2 cutters and the only difference I found is the outer materials are different. The blades and function seemed to me to be the same.Be sure to check out www.xikar.com and you can check out all of the cigar cutter options they have.

Check out the pictures here: http://cigarcatadore.blogspot.com/20...ra-cutter.html
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
SteveH
You lookin at me ?

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
HUpmann
SteveH is on a distinguished road
Default Re: XIKAR Xi3 Spectra

Nice looking cutter ! Can you point me in the direction where I can find the differences between the Xi1/Xi2/Xi3 ??
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
Nathan King

All "Xi" cutter blades are made of high quality 440 stainless steel with an HRC of 57.
All "Xi" cutters will cut a 54 ring gauge cigar in half. Depending on how much cap you cut, they will cut up to a 58 ring gauge cigar.
All Xikar products come with the Xikar lifetime warranty.

Xi MSRP: $59.99

Aluminum bodies in Titanium, Black, Gold, Silver, Red & Blue

Xi2 MSRP: $39.99

Nylon fiberglass bodies in Bloodstone, Granite, Lapis Blue, Malachite Green & Noir Black

Xi3 MSRP: $79.99

Wood finished bodies in Redwood, Beechwood, Zebrawood
Titanium Nitride coated bodies in Multi-color Spectra & STK Black
"Tech" rubberize body

Xi3 Exotic MSRP: $99.99

Exotic wood finished bodies in Amboina Burl, Bocote & Cocobolo

Last edited by icehog3; 03-24-2011 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Link to prohibited site removed.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review.
I have this same cutter. I keep it in my car and use it when out because I like the look of it.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
SteveH
You lookin at me ?

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
HUpmann
SteveH is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info ! I currently have an Xi1 in Gunmetal - but have really been looking at the CF Xi3...But I think I may try to pick up the VX first to give it a try.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I have this same cutter sitting here on my desk, my daughter bought it for my birthday. It replaced the one that got stolen from my car.
I have loved this cutter since the very first time I laid eyes on it, and still love it just as much every time I pick it up. It's my very favorite of all the Xikars, and I even had the mammoth bone cutter. That thing was super cool, but I still like the Spectra far more, so I ultimately sold it.
Since it's impossible to not mention the Palio in the same breath, I'll say that I just like Xikars better because the Palios pinch me in the web of my thumb and make me bleed, while Xikars don't. So far as cut goes, I'm not too anal about that. I'd just use my teeth (and sometimes do), but I have dental work and I always fear I'll screw it up from biting caps off.
All that to say that of all the cutters, and I think I've seen a good percentage of them, if not all of them, I think this is easily the prettiest. The cool factor has made me smile time and again for a couple years now. That's hard to beat.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Yep, you never forget the cutter that first gives you a cut or blood blister.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote