Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 07-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough
Default Tips?

I have my first humidor coming in the mail, should be here on Tuesday from Tampa Humidor's. It's a brand new Salerno 300ct humidor. (I ordered imperfect but they were out apparently, so they cut me a very respectable price discount for a new one, very pleased.)

Anyhow, when it arrives, what should I do to start seasoning it? Everything that I know about seasoning comes from the internet, and ideas are very mixed between websites. Some people say to wipe in interior, other people say not to etc...

Some say to use a shot glass of water for a few days, others say to use a bowl of water. I will probably use a shot glass myself, but as a fine spirits aficionado I have many sizes of shot glasses on hand. What is the best size for this job? I have anything from 1/2oz glasses up to 3oz shot glasses. Will any size work?

Next, should I purchase the RH Beads, or the Shilala Beads? RH Beads are shown all over the internet and seem very popular, while people here swear by the Shilala it seems. What is the difference between the two? How are they better than strip humidifiers? Should I put the beads in during or after seasoning?

I know it is a lot of questions, but I have asked some of my buddies about these things, and they are pretty blunt, the all say just wipe the interior and then put your cigars in, but they also complain from time to time on how dry their older cigars are.

I basically just want to be sure that my cigars keep for as long as I need them to, after all the point of a humidor is to keep them fresh forever. A lot of questions, sorry. I am just a very cautious person, and want to be sure I do everything correctly.

Thanks.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tips?

I have done the shot glass of water for a few days, and am now using Shilala beads now. You will get as many responses to your questions as there are members. Good luck.
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

This should help, Derrick.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=618

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
dwoodward

HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

So anyone else? Those links are very informative but still do not really answer my questions completely.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

I am seasoning a new mini-cabinet now Here it is if you want to see.

Its bigger than a 300 count, and knowing the wood will only saturate and hold so much moisture I am not worried about being frugal with the seasoning. I used a large shallow bowl filled with distilled water.

I am going to let mine sit for a minimum of 1 week. Longer if needed, but I just got around to getting new hygrometers today and I am testing them now.

I killed my one cheap hygrometer by putting in the freezer in an attempt to check its temperature to calculate freezing time for some tobacco my wife brought back from Peru

As much as it goes against my nature, I am employing much patience. I have a smaller humidor holding my stash right now so getting the new mini-cabinet in order is the priority.

I will be using beads as well. Its easy to calculate how much you need on the Shilala web site.

Desktop and smaller cabinets are just fine with beads or other passive humidification. Even vinotemps are fine with beads.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
macsauce13
Have My Own Room

First Name: McKenzie
Trading: (38)
macsauce13 has a spectacular aura aboutmacsauce13 has a spectacular aura about

Beads= Shilala or Heartfelt beads will both do the trick. Both are great, and well respected in this community.

Seasoning= I have wiped my humidors with a damp rag (DISTILLED WATER ONLY) with no problems, just don't overdue it. A glass of distilled water, whatever size will be great to season your humidor. Be patient, let it sit until you think it should be done, and then let it sit a while longer. It can only help!

There are tons of variations to these methods, and you will have success with 'most' of them. Read around the threads on this site and you will find all the information you need! Welcome to the Asylum!
macsauce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #7
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I have my first humidor coming in the mail, should be here on Tuesday from Tampa Humidor's. It's a brand new Salerno 300ct humidor. (I ordered imperfect but they were out apparently, so they cut me a very respectable price discount for a new one, very pleased.)

Anyhow, when it arrives, what should I do to start seasoning it? Everything that I know about seasoning comes from the internet, and ideas are very mixed between websites. Some people say to wipe in interior, other people say not to etc...

I would never wipe the interior of my humidor, but like you say, people's opinions vary...Mine is "never:.

Some say to use a shot glass of water for a few days, others say to use a bowl of water. I will probably use a shot glass myself, but as a fine spirits aficionado I have many sizes of shot glasses on hand. What is the best size for this job? I have anything from 1/2oz glasses up to 3oz shot glasses. Will any size work?

I boiled a glass of distilled water in the microwave, then put something rubber on the bottom of my humi (like a mouse pad for instance) to keep it from scorching the wood, and set the glass in my humi and closed it up. Worked great on more than one humi for me, but you will get lots of opinions of this too.

Next, should I purchase the RH Beads, or the Shilala Beads? RH Beads are shown all over the internet and seem very popular, while people here swear by the Shilala it seems. What is the difference between the two? How are they better than strip humidifiers? Should I put the beads in during or after seasoning?

Shiala beads are humidity beads. He could explain any differences to you but they are basically the same principle as I understand it. Absorb humidity when needed, emit humidity when needed. Strip humidifiers? If you mean the foam inserts, they can mold over. If you mean Boveda type packets, they won't last as long as the beads.

I know it is a lot of questions, but I have asked some of my buddies about these things, and they are pretty blunt, the all say just wipe the interior and then put your cigars in, but they also complain from time to time on how dry their older cigars are.

I basically just want to be sure that my cigars keep for as long as I need them to, after all the point of a humidor is to keep them fresh forever. A lot of questions, sorry. I am just a very cautious person, and want to be sure I do everything correctly.

Thanks.
I am certain you will get similar and opposing opinions, just as you found different methods on the net. These ones worked for me persoanlly, more than once.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:26 AM   #8
Barteur
Golf is life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (18)
Cohiba
Barteur will become famous soon enough

Don't forget to salt test your Hygro.
I would not wipe the side.
The boiling water trick works fine.
Both types of beads work well.
Try to be patient sometime waiting a couple of days to make sure everything is stable before adding cigars is worth it.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
dwoodward

HUpmann

Lighters and Cutters? What do you all use?
Old 07-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Lighters and Cutters? What do you all use?
Another million answer question. That is all personal preference. I use the Xikar cutter and an Alex Bradley Table lighter and love them both.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #11
dwoodward

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
Another million answer question. That is all personal preference. I use the Xikar cutter and an Alex Bradley Table lighter and love them both.
I want to buy a new cutter as my current doesn't make a very good cut and tears the wrapper a lot, I end up using my buddies more often, hes in the market for a new one too tho. I also currently light with just match sticks, but doing so can be difficult while fishing or golfing.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #12
waffle
Who doesn't love Waffles?

First Name: Steve (Stephen)
Trading: (38)
waffle has a spectacular aura aboutwaffle has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I have done the shot glass of water for a few days, and am now using Shilala beads now. You will get as many responses to your questions as there are members. Good luck.

As far as cutters & lighters... personal preference.... however pailo is an awesome guillotine style, xikar is a great brand as well... for a lighter, you can jump on a butane or drive to walmart and get a $3 butane... BUTANE BUTANE ... all personal preferences except the butane lighter... don't use any lighter that takes anything but butane!
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

For fishing and golf, I would just buy a cheap 3 torch lighter, dont worry about loss or breakage. Same thing for a cutter, cheap double blade. You will have to buy them more often but no concern for loss. I keep the nice stuff at home.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #14
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Crappy dual blade cutter til I get a nice one, and a cheap torch.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #15
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Palio for a cutter.

Blazer for a nice torch...Ronson for a reliable cheap one.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #16
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Palio for a cutter.

Blazer for a nice torch...Ronson for a reliable cheap one.
Have not tried the Palio cutter. Have heard they are not FAT finger friendly. Will have to find someone to try it.agree on lighter
Old 07-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #17
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

I have big fingers, and absolutely no problem using the Palio. Never heard the "fat finger" complaint until I saw it on another thread a couple days ago.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #18
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Montecristo

Quote:
I have big fingers, and absolutely no problem using the Palio. Never heard the "fat finger" complaint until I saw it on another thread a couple days ago.
I hope someone at EPIC HERF in November has one. Would like to try before buying. Cant find a B&M here that sells them.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #19
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
I hope someone at EPIC HERF in November has one. Would like to try before buying. Cant find a B&M here that sells them.
The owner of Palio, OpusEx (Marc) is a member here, you could send him a PM if you try one and like it.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #20
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Never met anyone with fingers too fat for the Palio.