Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 03-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
Humidor Minister

Default How do you make your ribs?

Looking for the best rubs ansd sauces. Now that things are warming up it's time to start smokin' some ribs.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How do you make your ribs?

*subscribe*
Old 03-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

BRTU

Make sure you remember to remove the membrane from the inside (stomach side) of the ribs prior to cooking. A dull/rounded tip knife and a paper towel to grip the membrane when peeling it are extremely helpful.

Personal changes to the recipe:

-I substitute apple for the white oak in the smoking woods, since apple is convenient for me right now. I also add a small piece of hickory sometimes. I don't remove the bark because I personally can't tell the difference.

-I'm not crazy about pre-fabricated BBQ sauces, so I'll be attempting my own coke/pepsi/dr pepper (using the cane sugar versions of the sodas) based sauces, but I still haven't gotten around to this part.

Last edited by T.G; 03-18-2010 at 11:06 AM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #4
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Ok, I have posted this before but couldn't find it. I use the same rub and wet sauce on brisket, london broil and my ribs.... Although written for the London Broil for me the cook time on the ribs is 4 hours or more. Low, low, low heat is the answer, no more than ~235*.

3lb London Broil (feeds ~9 biker types, more if not)

This is done in parts which makes it easy for increasing as needed.

8 pts dark brown sugar
1 pt coarse salt
1 pt fresh ground black pepper
1 pt onion powder
1 pt garlic powder
1 pt thyme
1 pt Old Bay seasoning (dry)

the heavy spices (add to taste)
Cayanne pepper (I actually do a 1/2 here to accomadate the weak)
Chili seasoning powder (again a 1/2 part, ensure fresh and not sitting in the big plastic jug for months).

Mix, rub the meat, wrap in Saran wrap at least 4 hours (I go over night).

Heat the BBQ to 225* to 235* !!!! We are BBQing here not grilling. Turn/flip once an hour. NO peeking. If your looking it aint cooking, it will do fine with out you opening the BBQ up. I prefer and use mesquite wood. Any of the softer flavors (apple, peach, hickory) seem to get lost with this seasoning mix. Cook with indirect heat, no flames under the meat (in fact as far from the flame as possible). Cook time is 2:15 to 3 hours depending on how you like your meat or use a meat thermometer. Let the meat rest at least 10 - 15 min prior to cutting. Outstanding with some roasted corn from the top grill and tater salad.

Wet....

This rub really doesn't need a sauce, but.... I guess you can put the commercial cheap BBQ sauce on the table if you have to have it wet. On the other hand this sauce is outstanding with this dry rub as a dipping sauce.

1 cup Bourbon whiskey (no cheap stuff here)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 cup ketchup
3/4 cup brewed strong black coffee
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons cane syrup or dark molasses
1 tablespoon hot red pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Place the bourbon in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer until reduced to 1/3 cup. Remove from the heat and let cool.

In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, Essence, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, pepper, and lemon and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Add the ketchup, coffee, sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, Worcestershire, cane syrup, and hot sauce, and bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the bourbon and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.

Remove from the heat. With a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor, puree on high speed until smooth. Adjust the seasoning, to taste. As a curtesy, inform your guests that might have a issue with drinking that bourbon was used. The oak, charred flavors the bourbon add are excellant and the alchocol burns off, but letting them know is the right thing to do.

When your done with all this you'll never do the dishes, usually I get told to have a bourbon and a smoke. Easy stuff that will make you look like a Chef.

Last edited by Volt; 03-18-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
BRTU

Make sure you remember to remove the membrane from the inside (stomach side) of the ribs prior to cooking. A dull/rounded tip knife and a paper towel to grip the membrane when peeling it are extremely helpful.
I also remove the false rib meat (flap) on the back and square the whole ribs a little. If that means cutting off a couple of short ribs, so be it. The WSM is only so wide.

In addition to the rub, which I am not that picky and do not follow a recipe, I'll use a little Worcestershire sauce before the rub and/or little maple syrup or molasses.

I season to how I feel at that moment and how much time I have. Basically all the rubs are 50% salt, the rest spices and some herbs.

I like Crazy Dave's BBQ sauce as it is a deal at Costco and does not compete with ribs. Cattleman's is decent too.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I also remove the false rib meat (flap) on the back and square the whole ribs a little. If that means cutting off a couple of short ribs, so be it. The WSM is only so wide.

In addition to the rub, which I am not that picky and do not follow a recipe, I'll use a little Worcestershire sauce before the rub and/or little maple syrup or molasses.

I season to how I feel at that moment and how much time I have. Basically all the rubs are 50% salt, the rest spices and some herbs.

I like Crazy Dave's BBQ sauce as it is a deal at Costco and does not compete with ribs. Cattleman's is decent too.

Is that a true statement? I am not that familiar with commercial rubs.

Personally I use very little if any salt in my home made rubs. I feel it will pull moisture out of the meat. I do salt once the meat comes off though.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I use Sweet Baby Ray's on my beef ribs and shrimp. It gets better than that, but not enough to warrant the extra work. Maybe this summer I'll try some recipes. That's why I subscribed with Kirk.

Today I was thinking how good skewered and grilled bbq shrimp would be on a fajiita with fresh guac and fresh cilantro salsa. The thought is almost bringing tears to my eyes.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Is that a true statement? I am not that familiar with commercial rubs.
Well, it's the first ingredient on the list of commercial rubs. Take a look at the next rub you buy and judge for yourself. I eyeball my rubs. I figure how much salt is needed for the amount of meat I have and then add the spices to it. 40% salt is fine too. This is not an exact science for. Whim plays a role. Basically they'll all have (for my rubs).

Salt
Garlic Powder
Hot Spanish Paprika
Oregano
Tumeric
Black Pepper
Corriander
Yellow Mustard Seed
Sugar
Thyme

I'll crush everthing in mortar except for the black pepper which I add after and stir in.

I do not leave the rub on very long, basically season and throw on the smoker. Since ribs can take 6 hours, why bother letting them set up so long? You still want to taste the pork too, right?
Old 03-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Well, it's the first ingredient on the list of commercial rubs. Take a look at the next rub you buy and judge for yourself. I eyeball my rubs. I figure how much salt is needed for the amount of meat I have and then add the spices to it. 40% salt is fine too. This is not an exact science for. Whim plays a role. Basically they'll all have (for my rubs).

Salt
Garlic Powder
Hot Spanish Paprika
Oregano
Tumeric
Black Pepper
Corriander
Yellow Mustard Seed
Sugar
Thyme

I'll crush everthing in mortar except for the black pepper which I add after and stir in.

I do not leave the rub on very long, basically season and throw on the smoker. Since ribs can take 6 hours, why bother letting them set up so long? You still want to taste the pork too, right?
What type of sugar? Turbinado?
Old 03-18-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
What type of sugar? Turbinado?
Cane. Not much though, perhaps equal to what you would use of mustard seed or corriander. Sometimes I won't use it if I basted the ribs with maple syrup or thinned molasses before putting the rub on.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
Humidor Minister

That's it. I'm making ribs this weekend. You guys are making me hungry. When I smoke ribs I go 180 degrees 45 to 55 minutes per pound. For the first 2 hours they go right on the rack in the smoker. The next 1-1/2 hour they go in foil with apple juice and apple vinegar. Then they are put back on the rack for the duration. If I am using a sauce I slather it on for the last 1/2 hour. My sauce of choice is Grandma Coyote's spicy sauce. It's made right here in Tucson and has won many competitions. My 2nd choice is Sweet baby Rays. That's good stuff as well. Slow and low that is the tempo Now if we all could just get together in one place and drop a pig in a pit.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:23 AM   #12
Davids

Default Davids

Hello everybody,
Yesterday I used this recipe, its really very very delicious.

I suggest you all to try it at least once.

Quote:
3lb London Broil (feeds ~9 biker types, more if not)

This is done in parts which makes it easy for increasing as needed.

8 pts dark brown sugar
1 pt coarse salt
1 pt fresh ground black pepper
1 pt onion powder
1 pt garlic powder
1 pt thyme
1 pt Old Bay seasoning (dry)

the heavy spices (add to taste)
Cayanne pepper (I actually do a 1/2 here to accomadate the weak)
Chili seasoning powder (again a 1/2 part, ensure fresh and not sitting in the big plastic jug for months).

Mix, rub the meat, wrap in Saran wrap at least 4 hours (I go over night).

Heat the BBQ to 225* to 235* !!!! We are BBQing here not grilling. Turn/flip once an hour. NO peeking. If your looking it aint cooking, it will do fine with out you opening the BBQ up. I prefer and use mesquite wood. Any of the softer flavors (apple, peach, hickory) seem to get lost with this seasoning mix. Cook with indirect heat, no flames under the meat (in fact as far from the flame as possible). Cook time is 2:15 to 3 hours depending on how you like your meat or use a meat thermometer. Let the meat rest at least 10 - 15 min prior to cutting. Outstanding with some roasted corn from the top grill and tater salad.

Wet....

This rub really doesn't need a sauce, but.... I guess you can put the commercial cheap BBQ sauce on the table if you have to have it wet. On the other hand this sauce is outstanding with this dry rub as a dipping sauce.

1 cup Bourbon whiskey (no cheap stuff here)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 cup ketchup
3/4 cup brewed strong black coffee
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons cane syrup or dark molasses
1 tablespoon hot red pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Place the bourbon in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer until reduced to 1/3 cup. Remove from the heat and let cool.

In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, Essence, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, pepper, and lemon and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Add the ketchup, coffee, sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, Worcestershire, cane syrup, and hot sauce, and bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the bourbon and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.

Remove from the heat. With a hand-held immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor, puree on high speed until smooth. Adjust the seasoning, to taste. As a curtesy, inform your guests that might have a issue with drinking that bourbon was used. The oak, charred flavors the bourbon add are excellant and the alchocol burns off, but letting them know is the right thing to do.

When your done with all this you'll never do the dishes, usually I get told to have a bourbon and a smoke. Easy stuff that will make you look like a Chef.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:28 AM   #13
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

Low and slow guys! I'm throwing some ribs in the smoker right now! I throw salt, pepper, cayenne, brown sugar, sugar, garlic, and paprika on them after covering in mustard!
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:22 AM   #14
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

[quote=T.G;798250]BRTU

captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #15
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

Woo Hoo! I've got a rack of spare ribs on the smoker right now. Just store-bought rub though Smells goooooood!
Old 04-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #16
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Hmm. You guys are going to think I am pretty gross, but I have never removed the membrane on ribs.
Maybe I sear and char mine a little more than most, but there is no detecting it in the finished product
that I have ever found. Certainly no taste or texture that is off-putting. And my ribs kick a$$.

I DO remove the flap
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #17
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Roll 'em up dude.

(not my photographs)
Old 04-15-2010, 06:59 AM   #18
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

REALY?? No comment on my NOT removing the membrane, lol. I will go ahead and place
my snappy comeback here early, then. "You eat smoked sausage, don't you? When you do,
you are either eating a synthetic paper or skin, or the actual tissue of a meat bearing animal as the
casing. My guess is it never crosses your mind."
When I cook ribs, the membrane cooks away to a crispy flaky nothing that tastes like nothing. Ribs are also
thin enough to get total smoke ring penetration without removing the membrane. I DO imagine that
smoke penetration is one of the two reasons folks remove the membrane?
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #19
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
REALY?? No comment on my NOT removing the membrane, lol. I will go ahead and place
my snappy comeback here early, then. "You eat smoked sausage, don't you? When you do,
you are either eating a synthetic paper or skin, or the actual tissue of a meat bearing animal as the
When I cook ribs, the membrane cooks away to a crispy flaky nothing that tastes like nothing. Ribs are also
thin enough to get total smoke ring penetration without removing the membrane. I DO imagine that
There are many different ways to cook the same thing and achieve equally good, abet different, results.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #20
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I do not remove the membrane, either. Works fine and so far I have not noticed any difference, as you said, it cooks to a perfect "nothing".
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote