Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #21
alpha8a
New To It All

First Name: Andrew N.
Trading: (11)
alpha8a is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tatuaje Black Label Tubo

I have yet to try the Black. I have two but haven't got to them. The Red I tried yesterday however was terrible. Kept going out and wouldn't stay lit at all.
alpha8a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #22
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
madwilliamflint is on a distinguished road

I had one a couple weeks ago at Cigar Inn in Manhattan. I found it to be truly exceptional.
madwilliamflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:36 AM   #23
Sin
Huskin Corn & smkin cgars

First Name: Pete
Trading: (0)
Sin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I'm over Tatuaje.
we need more people like you so there can be more for me
Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #24
klipsch

Just heard from a friend in the industry that the Black Tubo's are done. They won't be produced any longer because of the problems they've had with them. Personally...I like em.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #25
Darrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin View Post
we need more people like you so there can be more for me
You can have em all, homez. I have PLENTY of better stuff to smoke.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #26
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Looks like the single I got is in for a LOOOONG nap!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #27
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

I have one of the 3 I bought completely out of the tubo in my humi. The others just have thier caps off. Well see how their nap goes.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #28
rhmalone
Still Watching My Back

First Name: R. Harrison
Trading: (5)
rhmalone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash View Post
I have one of the 3 I bought completely out of the tubo in my humi. The others just have thier caps off. Well see how their nap goes.
Report back with your findings, as I'm curious if a bit of a nap is all that's needed. If that ends up being the case, I may have to give it another go around.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #29
tx_tuff

I have had no problem with the couple I smoked and to me they taste like a Tat Black, same flavor profile as the others. I store all my cigars the way they come, so have them still in the tubes. Now of course the box was to big to store them in the box.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:16 PM   #30
tx_tuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post
Just heard from a friend in the industry that the Black Tubo's are done. They won't be produced any longer because of the problems they've had with them. Personally...I like em.
Out of Pete Johnson's mouth "No more Tat tubos ever". He had to many issues with cracked wrappers, and then all the issues with the Dracs on top of that. He may not even do the Monster series this year.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #31
tx_tuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch View Post
Out of Pete Johnson's mouth "No more Tat tubos ever". He had to many issues with cracked wrappers, and then all the issues with the Dracs on top of that. He may not even do the Monster series this year.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #32
SkinsFanLarry

I picked up a box of the Black Tubos last Friday (3/5) at the Tatuaje Event at Drapers in DC.

No cracked wrappers on any of them, exactly I opened the box on Monday (3/8) and I'm smoking the 10th one now as I type. Great flavor and strength, not a single problem with any of them.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #33
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post

That's too bad all the haters got to him. I still think the monster series is a great idea that really showed what a unique approach Pete takes to making and marketing cigars. It was and is a great concept and I think he should really try to iron out the distribution kinks as well as increase the volume and just ignore all the whiners that are butt-hurt because they didn't get a box of Dracs.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #34
muhren
The Cigar Artist

First Name: Mike
Trading: (43)
Punch
muhren has a spectacular aura aboutmuhren has a spectacular aura about

I guess I'll have to let mine rest before I fire one up! And, perhaps let it dry out a bit.
muhren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:55 PM   #35
smoke n' mirrors

Hey! New to Cigar Asylum, and I wanted to say hi and love the forum!! It's the best I've seen, that's for sure!

I agreed on the Tatuaje Black tubos after my first one 2 months ago(straight from the truck)....bland and lacking any flavor, and didn't resemble any TAT I've had to date. It really f-ing sucked! Today, after 2 months of rest in the humi at around 67% humidity(with the caps off the tubes), I tried another one. WOW! What a difference! I found it to be extremely complex, at first teasing me with possible full TAT flavor, but not quite getting there. But the first third had good, solid full flavor with thin, wispy gray smoke. Then, about a third into it, I was tasting that "brown label" type flavor....a tangy, twangy leathery smoke that lasted until the end. It was at that point medium to full. And what a long smoke....I downed a few Sam Adams "Nobil Pils" beers with this torpedo. What a great mix! I think that you need to rest these and not rush to judgement on them. They are like Cuban smokes in that regard, imho. Let 'em rest a few months and you should like 'em too!
Old 03-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #36
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke n' mirrors View Post
Hey! New to Cigar Asylum, and I wanted to say hi and love the forum!! It's the best I've seen, that's for sure!
Welcome to The Asylum. Most of our new members post an intro in the New Inmate forum. Head on over and introduce your yourself. We're a friendly bunch.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #37
whodeeni

Talking Re: Tatuaje Black Label Tubo

They just need more time... be patient "Danielson"!
Old 03-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #38
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

So I'm smoking one right now. This one rested outside of the tubo for a couple weeks then spent 3 days in my travel humi en tubo.

I'm about done and I'm surprised at how mild it is. Some good flavor, but overall mild in flavor as well. First few puffs were metallic-y tasting but that subsided. It has a light woody flavor, and a sweet tobacco flavor.

To be honest, a yard gar has more flavor then this. Not worth the MSRP so far.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #39
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I'm over Tatuaje.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:22 AM   #40
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

LGC

Quote:
I'm over Tatuaje.
For those of you who are over Tatuaje, can I ask why? Have your tastes changed, has the quality control gone down, or do you have other reasons? I've never been a huge fanboy for Tatuaje, but I've also had nothing but good experiences with their product and count them among the few NCs I still smoke on occasion now that CCs are 90% of my intake. I'm just curious to see why people are losing interest in them after so much hype on the boards for the last year or so.