Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 04-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
Drat

Default Thoughts/comments on smaller wine cooler

I might be picking up a NIB Avanti 16-bottle wine cooler form someone on CL tomorrow for a good price.

I know the obvious argument that most of you will make (not big enough) and have already dealt with that issue for myself. I really don't smoke a lot and don't need to keep too many cigars handy.

What I really want to know is if there are any inherent problems with the smaller wine coolers. I read in another thread today that somebody had some moisture issues. Does anybody have any experience with the Avanti?

Should I really just bite the bullet and spend 3.5 times the amount and buy the Vino28TEDS (and get hell from the wife for a long, long time)?

Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
leasingthisspace

Default Re: Thoughts/comments on smaller wine cooler

Just make sure when you get it that it thremoeletricly cooled and it's not made for white wine cuz it will be too cold. I have a 2 temp chepo and after I closed up the back vent openings it works great. It has fans buildt in already. The bottom is cigars and the top is my beer/ wife's white wine. I have 1/2 lb of beads and my cigars sit at 65 % and about 67 degrees all the time. That reminds I need to get some more beads. I just keep my cigars in boxes though. No fancy shelfs or drawers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation

I've been using this Haier 6 bottle cooler for nearly one year now, and it's worked perfectly. No moisture problems and the unit runs very quiet. It meets my needs allowing me to store a 50 ct and a 20 ct humidor with room for quite a few loose cigars. I keep two bead tubes in the back of the cooler in front of the fan which keeps the inside at a perfect 68% + or - humidity. I also have beads in both wooden humidors. A nice little set-up for what I need. Oh, I did have the "larger is better" set-up, but I found myself buying way too many cigars to keep it full. It's easier on the wallet this way.

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg child_HAT008-1.jpg (20.4 KB, 198 views)
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
PV1191
Chicken!the other wrapper

First Name: Tommy
Trading: (0)
RyJ
PV1191 is on a distinguished road

I agree with Tabb. Make sure it's thermoeletric. I have a 28ct Vino that has been in service for nearly a year. One Cigar Oasis unit and 1lb of beads separated into two bags. One on the top shelf and one on the bottom covering the drain hole. The CO is on the middle shelf. Humidity stays pretty constant at 68%, temp is set a 66.
PV1191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
Biglizard1
LLG turned CAI

First Name: David
Trading: (8)
Montecristo
Biglizard1 is on a distinguished road

I use two 12 bottle vino's and have great luck in the winter keeping at 60% and ambient temp of room with units unplugged from outlet, I keep as high as machine will regulate in the summer without being too cold...about 63-55.. harder to regulate humidity in summer but if I keep the units in a cooler area... no problem just unpluggin there too in the summer.
over a year on the first and about 6 months on the second, about a 1lb 1/2 beads in each cooler
Biglizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
Drat

I pulled the trigger and picked up the brand new Avanti 16-bottle for half the price that it goes for in the stores. It's thermoelectric and has a fan that has been running since I plugged it in. I might look into disabling the fan but I don't think it will cause much problem as long as I don't have exposed cigars in front of it. I don't have the beads for it yet, but the 20-count is already in there and I'm working out the other storage issues (thanks HK3!).

I'm so excited. Time for a nice shelf/tray build project like Chasden for it.

Thanks for the input all!
Old 04-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
joshpip
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (13)
Partagas
joshpip is on a distinguished road

I have a 12 bottle Vino. and works great. I am thinking about making it my singles cooler.
joshpip is offline   Reply With Quote