Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation
Default Any HVAC technicians here can give me some advice?

I'm having some home A/C issues and I've had a tech over my house 2x and another I've spoken with on the phone.

After talking to one, I'm doubting the tech that went over to my house and just wanted some advice from someone trustworthy.

My problem is my home A/C is not cooling. The compressor outside turns on, but the temp inside the home is just not going down.

The tech #1 that went over to my house and did 2 service calls:
1). Checked outside pressures and said they were good and could top off with 1lb of R-22, but it wasn't really necessary. Also said my air handler was set to low speed and moved some wires to make it high speed. No other checks or diagnostics made. Next day, home still had the same symptoms, it was either not cooling or just not cooling enough. I left the thermostat at 80deg. in the morning and by the afternoon the thermostat said it was 85 inside the house.
2). On 2nd visit the tech checks the air temps of return air and supply air and says Td is 8deg and should be between 18-22deg. and he thinks the TXV needs replacement at a cost of $900 (ouch! my warranty doesn't cover this because Amana says it's an accessory instead of a necessity). Other diagnostics taken, pressures 58/205, SH 44, SC 10. Ambient temps are around 95deg. when these were taken.

Because of the cost of repair, I figured it was worth calling someone else and getting their opinion. I called a different company and the tech #2 says that it sounds more like just freon is needed because for our ambient temps, those readings were much too low. He didn't discount that it could be the TXV, but said any tech should have removed the 'bulb' and done a more thorough check to see if the TXV was in fact bad.

It seems like the best thing for me to do at this point is call up tech #1 and politely ask them to make a 3rd trip and verify the TXV is bad as noted. I did pay a $90 diagnostic fee (+$60 for 1lb of R22 - which is well above the going rate) to the tech #1 and seems like I didn't fully get the diagnostic I paid for.

So any HVAC techs think that it's my TXV valve or does it need freon? Any advice?
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any HVAC technicians here can give me some advice?

I feel for you, Alan. Went through the same "could be this" "might be that" a couple of years ago. Something finally fixed it long enough to know I had to get a new unit. I know a lot about some things and a little about a lot of things - but HVAC, it's Chinese algebra to me. Best of luck.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

Yep, I actually contemplated getting EPA certified to learn and do this work myself.

It's like cars, I feel like if I really want to feel secure knowing a repair is done correctly and fair, I've got to do it myself. I try to do all the work on our cars myself.
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
justonemorestick
Kat Krap Kontanment Media

First Name: Warren
Trading: (13)
justonemorestick is on a distinguished road

Check out http://www.central-air-conditioner-a...ion_valve.html

It looks like it has some good info.

I would also check out the cool air path and make sure you dont have an overgrown dust bunny blocking any air from the cooling coils in both the heat exchanger and the outside unit. Besides a clean unit will work better and last longer anyway.

Last edited by justonemorestick; 06-14-2011 at 10:40 AM.
justonemorestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

When you set up a system, in order to get it tweaked to max efficiency you have to check the superheat. It amounts to taking a number of pressure/temperature readings and adjusting pressure to suit (via adjusting the freon charge).
Checking the expansion valve (txv) is incredibly easy. Why it wasn't done is beyond me.
My suggestion would be to find a real outfit who knows what they're doing. Ask around and try to get an old guy who's been at this stuff for awhile.
900 bucks to change out an expansion valve is ridiculous, too. You're just not having any luck at all. Sorry, brother.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough

This is crazying I'm going through the exact same thing here at my house. Only thing is noone can even suggest what they feel the issue is. My R22 is full we are getting a 18* temp drop at the unit. However the temp rises in the house throughout the day over 80* when it is only *85 out side. I have a 2nd tech coming today and I have talked to a couple other people.

I would ask around and see if anyone can suggest another HVAC company. If not I would open up a phone book and start calling different places. See what their diagnostic service calls run. Might just be my location but I know a lot of reputable companies around here have very aggressive deals as they want all the work they can get.

Another idea to find a tech would be to look up local suppliers for the type unit you have. Give them a call and see if- 1. they do service calls and 2. If not they should have a service company they can suggest.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by big a View Post
This is crazying I'm going through the exact same thing here at my house. Only thing is noone can even suggest what they feel the issue is. My R22 is full we are getting a 18* temp drop at the unit. However the temp rises in the house throughout the day over 80* when it is only *85 out side. I have a 2nd tech coming today and I have talked to a couple other people.

I would ask around and see if anyone can suggest another HVAC company. If not I would open up a phone book and start calling different places. See what their diagnostic service calls run. Might just be my location but I know a lot of reputable companies around here have very aggressive deals as they want all the work they can get.

Another idea to find a tech would be to look up local suppliers for the type unit you have. Give them a call and see if- 1. they do service calls and 2. If not they should have a service company they can suggest.
An 18 degree drop at the coil is more than usual, that's actually great.
Your tstat is most likely screwed up, and the condensing unit is shutting off when it shouldn't. Could be a lack of airflow or a freezestat, too.
Make sure all your vents are open and they all work. Women like to close vents.
If that doesn't get it, go to Lowe's and get a new tstat, or at least make sure the condensing unit is running when it's calling for cooling (I'm assuming there's not an airflow problem or a wonky freezestat that's holding the condenser out).
Old 06-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Look at the evaporator itself, if it is easily accessible to you. If there is frost on the coils or fins, then your charge is low. If that is the case, smack your "service tech" up aside the head and tell him to fix it, free, and now.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote