CA Scott #2658

First Name: Scott
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Scothew will become famous soon enoughScothew will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Looks great Scott!!! I love the color pecan gives to poultry and I love me some smoked tit

Thanks Brent
Scothew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #2362
El Fumador
(Opus X Pig)

First Name: Juan
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
El Fumador is on a distinguished road

WOW this looks fantastic.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post

Tostones time!

About 6:30 in and hitting 175F IT, time to pull it off, wrap it up and put it in a warmed cooler.

One of the chunks sliced up for serving. Smoke ring is just from the briquettes, no additional smoke wood was used.

Can't have lechon asado without rice and black beans...

The End.
El Fumador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #2363
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Fumador View Post
WOW this looks fantastic.....
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scothew View Post
Brined a turkey breast for about 14hr, then smoked over pecan for about 5 hours. Ended up finishing it off in the oven at 350 for about an hour to get it up to temp. May not look the best, but it was dayum good. Me and the wife couldnt stop picking the whole time I was cutting it up and pulling from bone.
Looks great to me.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:08 PM   #2364
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Sure, I use the recipe from "3 Guys From Miami Cook Cuban" with some additional ingredients...
Thanks for the recipe and web page Adam

Quote:

Can't have lechon asado without rice and black beans...
...definitely inviting!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #2365
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

I'm going to try a hot-and-fast brisket tonight after work. Haven't done that method before. I've got an 11-pound packer ready to go, and had planned to do it all day tomorrow, but am liking the idea of getting it done in half-the-time. Hopefully it works!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #2366
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Thanks for the recipe and web page Adam
Welcome - I think it was Carlos (Blueface) who originally pointed me towards that website a year or so ago.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #2367
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Put two 7 pound pork shoulders on the smoker this morning before leaving for work.
Pulled pork sammiches for the SH!T herf tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
By popular demand.

I forgot to mention that I made my first attempt at ABTs.
Wow. Were they effing good.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #2368
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
By popular demand.

I forgot to mention that I made my first attempt at ABTs.
Wow. Were they effing good.

That looks delicious Peter. Is that green pepper or jalapeno' in the bacon/sausage wrapped thingies?
Old 06-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #2369
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Just prepped and seasoned up 9 racks of BBR's for the smoker in the morning.

This time I'm actually going to try to do them right by foiling them so they don't get dry at all on the outside. Is there an exact science as to when is the best time to do that? I'm not saucing them up as they're going to be Atkins friendly.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #2370
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
That looks delicious Peter. Is that green pepper or jalapeno' in the bacon/sausage wrapped thingies?
Jalapeno
Old 06-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #2371
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Jalapeno
Old 06-25-2011, 06:12 AM   #2372
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Just prepped and seasoned up 9 racks of BBR's for the smoker in the morning.

This time I'm actually going to try to do them right by foiling them so they don't get dry at all on the outside. Is there an exact science as to when is the best time to do that? I'm not saucing them up as they're going to be Atkins friendly.
Not an exact thing... but the rule of thumb I learned is:

At 225-230

Spares 3/2/1
BBs 2.5/1.5/.5

The first number is on the smoker uncovered. The next number is wrapped in foil and back on the cooker. The last number is a variable. I open the foil and that is my finishing time. I like the rub to set back up and not be too moist. Some folks use this as time in a cooler to finish.

After you have cooked ribs for a while you may find that you adapt that a bit. I pretty much cook them to the color I want then foil (usually right about three hours or so). Then I cook them two more hours. Then I start checking them every 15 minutes or so until they are the doneness I am looking for.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #2373
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Not an exact thing... but the rule of thumb I learned is:

At 225-230

Spares 3/2/1
BBs 2.5/1.5/.5

The first number is on the smoker uncovered. The next number is wrapped in foil and back on the cooker. The last number is a variable. I open the foil and that is my finishing time. I like the rub to set back up and not be too moist. Some folks use this as time in a cooler to finish.

After you have cooked ribs for a while you may find that you adapt that a bit. I pretty much cook them to the color I want then foil (usually right about three hours or so). Then I cook them two more hours. Then I start checking them every 15 minutes or so until they are the doneness I am looking for.
That's more than enough to get me in the ballpark of getting it right. I'll probably throw them on after I get my son down for a nap. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #2374
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

Trading: (0)
fxpose is on a distinguished road

I'm doing some spareribs today during my smoke & temp test run on a kettle on top of el
cheapo Brinkman mod that I've been tinkering on these past couple of days.
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #2375
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
This time I'm actually going to try to do them right by foiling them so they don't get dry at all on the outside. Is there an exact science as to when is the best time to do that?
Hello Duane, this info is from Bill at texasbbqrub.com and is similar to what Brent mentioned above for your review:

"Spare ribs: If you are cooking on a pit (low and slow about 225 degrees is great) then the general rule of thought is to do the ribs using the 3-2-1 method. That is the method that says 3 hours uncovered on the pit, then wrap for 2 hours, and then take them out of the foil and put them back on the pit for another hour to tighten the rib back up. I find that wrapped 2 hours the ribs are overcooked so use the same method and do the ribs 3 hours on the pit unwrapped then 1 to 1 ½ hours wrapped then another hour unwrapped back on the pit to tighten up the ribs. If you are applying a glaze or sauce it is best to apply that the last 20 minutes of the cooking when the ribs are tightening back up.

Baby Back ribs:
For the smoker, use the same method but cut your time to say 2 hours on the smoker unwrapped, 1 hour wrapped, and then 30 minutes back on the smoker uncovered to tighten the ribs back up.

If you are cooking baby backs on the grill then use a 1 hour on the grill, 45 minutes wrapped and then 15 minutes to tighten the ribs back up. If you are cooking on the grill it is usually best to turn the ribs during cooking so that both sides get even exposure to the heat. I usually turn mine about every 15 minutes or so."
Old 06-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #2376
BobbyRitz
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
HUpmann
BobbyRitz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodOfFire View Post
OK so how did you prepare and cook those lobster tails. I have 4 in the fridge and mine never look that good?
Sorry for the delay! Lump crab was mixed with a little mayo, mustard and bread crumbs.

Put them on the WSM for an hour with hickory chucks. They were quite good. Just the right amount of smoke to give it great flavor!
BobbyRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #2377
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Hello Duane, this info is from Bill at texasbbqrub.com and is similar to what Brent mentioned above for your review:

"Spare ribs: If you are cooking on a pit (low and slow about 225 degrees is great) then the general rule of thought is to do the ribs using the 3-2-1 method. That is the method that says 3 hours uncovered on the pit, then wrap for 2 hours, and then take them out of the foil and put them back on the pit for another hour to tighten the rib back up. I find that wrapped 2 hours the ribs are overcooked so use the same method and do the ribs 3 hours on the pit unwrapped then 1 to 1 ½ hours wrapped then another hour unwrapped back on the pit to tighten up the ribs. If you are applying a glaze or sauce it is best to apply that the last 20 minutes of the cooking when the ribs are tightening back up.

Baby Back ribs:
For the smoker, use the same method but cut your time to say 2 hours on the smoker unwrapped, 1 hour wrapped, and then 30 minutes back on the smoker uncovered to tighten the ribs back up.

If you are cooking baby backs on the grill then use a 1 hour on the grill, 45 minutes wrapped and then 15 minutes to tighten the ribs back up. If you are cooking on the grill it is usually best to turn the ribs during cooking so that both sides get even exposure to the heat. I usually turn mine about every 15 minutes or so."
Here's a thought-

This only calls for 3.5 hours of cooking time total, but at what what do you think they're figuring the racks to be? I saw a "Best Ribs in the Universe" recipe call for racks less than 2 lbs each, whereas the ricks I just put on the smoker 20 minutes ago are averaging about 3.3 lbs each. I'd think they'd need more time than that.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #2378
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

The only time I really cook BBs is for competition. We are cooking at a slightly higher temp, about 260, and the racks are in that 3.5lb range. They are usually done right at about 4.5 hours give or take 15 minutes. It is about 3 hours in the smoke and about 1.5 hours wrapped in foil. Once they are done we just let them sit out with the foil open to reset the rub. Pretty much though, get them to the color you want, foil them for an hour or so and start checking them. When you can pick them up in the middle and the ends bend down easily they are done. I also look for the rub to crack a bit in the middle where I am picking them up.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #2379
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

8 lbs of tri-tip for the Patio Posse tonight

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #2380
BobbyRitz
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
HUpmann
BobbyRitz is on a distinguished road

Smoked 40lbs of butts for my Memorial Day party.

Cooked some top round as well.

BobbyRitz is offline   Reply With Quote