Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough
Default job search sites?

My wife and I are looking to move from the town we were in while she was at UVA law school to another town in another state. The problem being, I don't know anyone in the town we're looking to move to and I need a job. I've been looking on craigslist, monster, and idealist and I can't quite seem to find anything that isn't food service...which isn't what I am looking for. My last (current) job was 2 years or so part time at a cigar shop, before that I ran an alternative day program for at risk inner city youth at a charter highschool, before that I subbed at the same school for 2 years while in grad school, and before that I had your typical crap jobs that payed for pizza and cigars in college.

While job leads would be nice I don't expect anyone here to have any in the Harrisburg pa area, what I'm looking for is other places to look for a job.
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: job search sites?

Good luck.

What are your areas of expertise that would lend itself to someone paying you? What kind of job are you looking for? Have you gone directly to the businesses that hire your skill set?

Best advice I have is take a job and then look for the job. Your best value to an employer is when you are employed.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Good luck.

What are your areas of expertise that would lend itself to someone paying you? What kind of job are you looking for? Have you gone directly to the businesses that hire your skill set?

Best advice I have is take a job and then look for the job. Your best value to an employer is when you are employed.
Absolutely. Many hiring managers that I've spoken to won't even look at a resume where the person hasn't been employed in "a while" (the definition of "a while" changes from one perosn to another).

Their line of thinking is "someone else has already turned down their resume, I can probably do the same without thinking about it too much."

It sounds like you are hitting the major sites. I know there are some industry-specific job sites (IT has one that I cna't come up with off the top of my head). It might be worth it to do some research into that.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Decide what it is you'd like to do and then identify companies/businesses in the area and contact them about your interest in working for them. Having a list of target companies can be useful.
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

I've had the best luck in person, followed by going straight to company websites, then followed by Craigslist. I sent thousands of resumes out on Monster and Career Builder and never received as much as an email confirming delivery. I would also call private schools (I see your teaching experience) and see if any positions are available, sometimes they have easier processes for hiring.

I just looked up Craigslist in Harrisburg and found what may be the best MLM ever!

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/sls/2431858868.html
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Here is a thread I had started awhile back for the unemployed S/BOTL's. We accumulated a few different sites you could check out.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23463
Old 06-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier View Post
Here is a thread I had started awhile back for the unemployed S/BOTL's. We accumulated a few different sites you could check out.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23463
thanks mate, clicking on that link as soon as i hit submit
loki is offline   Reply With Quote