Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about
Default La Flor Dominicana Mysterio Oscuro

Size: 7 x 54
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican
Price: ~$15.00

The Stogie: Besides the Padilla Burberry cigar, I can’t think of another regular production cigar that is more unique looking and recognizable than the La Flor Dominicana Mysterio cigars. The Mysterio comes in two different wrappers, the natural wrapper and the darker Sumatra wrapper. Today I’m reviewing the Mysterio Oscuro (Sumatra) wrapper.

Initial Thoughts: This cigar is a very well made, really neat looking cigar. The perfecto shape, along with an almost shiny wrapper that isn’t very oily, two lighter pieces of leaves used at the ends, and a pig-tail cap make this a very unique cigar. The cigar is firm, but not hard, and has a completely seamless construction.

First Third: The pre-draw brings a pleasant mix of sweet tobacco, cocoa, leather, and just a bit of spice. After lighting it the initial notes I’m picking out is cedar, cocoa, coffee, and an overall nutty flavor with only a bit of pepper. Like some cigars you can describe as having creamy smoke that coats your mouth, this is almost the exact opposite of that. It has a dryish finish and really targets the tongue, which ends up being quite nice. The draw is incredibly surprising. I only cut the very end of the cap off, which left around a 20ish RG opening, and along with the perfecto foot, you would expect a very tight draw. That isn’t the case at all, instead the draw is very easy and I get plenty of smoke with each one.

Second Third: The second third has mellowed out so much it’s like I’m not even smoking the same cigar, much less an LFD. Usually these things pack a punch, but right now all I’m getting are some nice sweet cocoa, coffee, and hazelnut notes. It’s very smooth and smoking very nice. The light grey ash holds on to easily an inch before I got nervous and ashed it.

Final Third: The final third is much like the second filled with smooth, sweet cocoa, coffee, and nutty notes. Cedars notes fade in and out of the background, but never really take front stage. The final third I did end up cutting a little more off the end, not because it felt tight, but mostly I was wanting to see if it opened it up any more. It did open it up a bit, but wasn’t really necessary.

Total Smoking time: 2:00

Final Thoughts: I loved this cigar. I loved it so much in fact, I picked it back up after I took the final picture and smoked it until I was burning my fingers. I’ve had LFD cigars before, and while they’re all good cigars, some are just a little too strong for my preference. The Mysterio Oscuro however was more mild and flavorful and didn’t have the ass kicking strength that some of the LFDs do. I have a five pack of these, and while I wasn’t thinking I’d keep the other four after I reviewed this one, I think I’ve changed my mind on that! At the $15 price point they’re not cheap, but I will easily say these are better than a lot of other cigars that are in the same price range. I'm not sure how these have flown under my radar for so long, but I'm very glad that I finally got to try one. Next time you see these at your local store, pick one up, I know you won’t be disappointed.

Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: La Flor Dominicana Mysterio Oscuro

Great review Brian! Those have an interesting construction (definitly recognizable), and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I will keep an eye out for one now...as I was steered away from LFD because of the strength as well.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Great review - Thank you!
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for the really well done review. I've never tried this stick before, but the flavor profile sounds like what I'm always on the lookout for. I will add this to my list of" must-try's". Thanks again!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Brian. Sitting on a few of these.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Excellent review, I love how you sized the pics and shot the steps!
Sure looks and sounds like a great stick, thanks.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
LigaPrivadaT84

Great review.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
BSB
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bob
Trading: (13)
Partagas
BSB will become famous soon enough

Very nice review, thanks. I love LFD, I don't love that price. A beautiful cigar though.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Great review and great pics. Thanks. Now on my to-do list.
And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” Acts 10:13
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
muhren
The Cigar Artist

First Name: Mike
Trading: (43)
Punch
muhren has a spectacular aura aboutmuhren has a spectacular aura about

Good review!!

I had one this weekend as well and enjoyed it quite a bit.

M
Old 02-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
Theo Cincy
Feeling at Home

First Name: Theo
Trading: (33)
HUpmann
Theo Cincy has a spectacular aura aboutTheo Cincy has a spectacular aura about

I have wanted to try this, since I am a huge LFD and lotto gomez fan. Thank you.
Theo Cincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
fencefixer will become famous soon enoughfencefixer will become famous soon enough

I love this cigar, wish it was cheaper. I smoked a La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero right before this one. They go great hand in hand and I thought it was very complex flavored, probably due to its shape.

Great review, thanks for sharing!
fencefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #13
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Awesome review on an awesome looking cigar.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote