Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-05-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Di Fazio Maduro (Dyed Wrapper, *gasp*!)

Size: 5×50, Robust

Wrapper: Nicaraguan

Binder: Honduran and Nicaraguan

Filler: Nicaraguan

Strength: Medium

Price: Box of 24, $141 (Purchase)

Grade: 8.1

Birthed in 2008, Di Fazio honors the memory of a family name and currently offers three blends: Connecticut (Black), Picoso (Red), and Maduro (White). Presented in four sizes, a Robust, Double Robust, Torpedo, and Churchill, each blend is available in all four sizes, except for the Maduro, which does not offer a Churchill. They are sold in units of 12 and 24. You can check their line out online.

This line comes from Carmelo Di Fazio, a television executive born in Venezuela, of Italian descent, and now living in Miami. Di Fazio cigars are rolled at…get ready for the longest factory name on earth… the Fabrica de Tabacos Raices Cubanas S. de R.L. factory in Honduras. This is the same factory responsible for Illusione and the Alec Bradley Tempus (source).

These sticks were sent courtesy of Puffing Cigars. Now, let’s get to it!

Pre-light, 1.6:
The Maduro is triple capped and packed very well, especially at the foot, where it may be a bit too tight. The dark maduro wrapper is in fact dyed and the coloring comes off on your fingers and lips when wet, not good. The wrapper has some prominent veins, is very leathery and rustic and sports a very classy band. The aroma is quite eclectic, with notes of barnyard, bitter chocolate, sweet cedar and hay. On the draw, it has a slight resistance and is very sweet on the lips.

Burn, 1.4:
The heavy packing at the foot presents a slow burn to begin with. The beautifully colored white ash is loose and dismembered and a hole develops in the center of the ash. After each ash, a bit of nursing is required to re-align the ash and to keep the cigar lit. The draw remains tight throughout and creates a very slow burn, though the smoke emitted is fairly thick. Be ready to give the Maduro some attention, it is a needy cigar.

Flavor, 2.6:
Though slightly muted and empty, there is a definite sweetness to the smoke that reminds me a great deal of the Cu-Avana Maduro (review). The finish is very dry and short but does present some notes of chocolate and cedar as the cigar progresses, with a continued muted sweetness. Though the flavor is rather dull, it may also be called clean, smooth, and delicate. To round the profile out, a slight spice is present on the retrohale.

Overall, 2.5:
This cigar is priced under $6 but is very comparable to some $2 and $3 cigars I’ve had. The experience got off to a very bad start when I realized the wrapper was dyed, and things did not improve with the poor burn and tight draw. The mildly sweet flavors help justify the price and prevent the smoke from being a total failure, but this is still a cigar I’d pass on.

(Total: 8.1)
Old 05-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
REALMCCOY
Just trying to keep up

Trading: (0)
REALMCCOY is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Di Fazio Maduro (Dyed Wrapper, *gasp*!)

Great review. Thats too bad about the wrapper. It has me kinda curious about dyed wrappers. Maybe you can help with some quick questions. It makes sense to me that the dye is used for appearance? So they all look the same?
REALMCCOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALMCCOY View Post
Great review. Thats too bad about the wrapper. It has me kinda curious about dyed wrappers. Maybe you can help with some quick questions. It makes sense to me that the dye is used for appearance? So they all look the same?
Some folks say different stuff - some say it is to present a consistent product, others say it is to make the wrapper appear darker than it should and thus entice certain smokers. I say, leave the cigar alone b/c I don't want nasty dye all over my fingers and lips and son's forehead!

I just like the product to be as organic as possible, and it is a big turn off to me when I find a dyed wrapper...maybe I'm being over board, but I hate it. I noticed the same thing on the Antano Dark from JdN.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
tomc3084
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (26)
tomc3084 is on a distinguished road

Never heard of these, will definitely stay away from these if I ever come across them...thanks for the review!
Old 05-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

I've stopped freaking out about dyed wrappers as much recently. but I still don't get the point, since they look perfectly fine to me without dye.

sorry to hear the Di Fazio was a dud. better luck next time.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote