Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Welp, It took a lot of years, but I finally got my car robbed.

A lot of years ago, someone stole my ex-wife's truck from our yard.
I've had stuff stolen from my house a few times over the years, too.
They never hit my car, though.

Monday morning, Lisa went out to go for her run and found two boxes of bar darts laying in the yard. She told me about it, and we figured someone had stopped and they fell out of their car. So we just threw them in the garage.
Then the neighbor's kid stopped and said their car got robbed and among the stuff, mentioned the darts. So we sent her home with them. Then Lisa checked my car.
All the stuff from the glovebox was on the seat and the console was cleaned out. All that was in there was gum. Then I remembered my binoculars were in there. I've had then for over 20 years. No big loss.
Yesterday I was telling Scott (sofaman) about it and he asked if they got my travel humi's. I always take it in the house, so I said no.
Then I said, "Geez, I forgot about my little cigar caddy in the door."
I didn't think they'd see it, cause it was in the driver's side panel.
We went to look, and the little bastages got it. It's not a biggie, either, but they got some good smoking. A couple 26's, a couple Anejo's, an LGD Oriental, my prized purple rainbow xikar and one of my 20 lighters that doesn't work very well. I hope that lighter aggravates them as much as it does me.

I got off easy. I haven't even got upset. It just makes me wonder why anyone would put their life on the line for junk. If I'd have caught them in the act, they'd have met me with the 9mm and a baseball bat. Not that I'd have used them, but I'd have kept them there for the cops. That'd probably require a beating at the least, you'd think. Add to that all the neighbors who'd show up with their handguns, it'd look like the Wild West.
There's gotta be a line of illegal work that's a lot more lucrative with a lot less chance of dying or being crippled.

In the last year or so I've been locking everything here at home. Times are tough. I've never had to lock my doors all my life, but these stories have really picked up over the summer.
The reason I wasted your time was to say "Lock your doors."
My car doors weren't locked. Neither were any of the other folks that got robbed in Lisa's development. Seems the robbers like to get the dumb ones first.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Welp, It took a lot of years, but I finally got my car robbed.

I freaking hate thieves. I am glad you are able to not get upset. When I got stuff stolen from my car, I was pissed and still am to this day. I hope that those punks have a horrible life.

There is no reason to steal from another person.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I freaking hate thieves. I am glad you are able to not get upset. When I got stuff stolen from my car, I was pissed and still am to this day. I hope that those punks have a horrible life.

There is no reason to steal from another person.
I know what you mean, brother. I just choose to let it go, cause if I hang on to it, it'll be like they rob me over and over every day.
I've been so blessed that I can get new stuff.
They're not likely to end up in the shape I'm in. They've been robbing all over Portage County, going neighborhood to neighborhood. Sooner or later they'll meet their due. Guaranteed.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

The worst part is, most of the time it was someone local who did it.

In my area, you have to go on the non-pedestrian State Route to get over to the next neighborhood. We still had a couple teenagers hit a bunch of cars shortly after we moved here back in '97.

They were about 30 seconds away when a neighbor came beating on my door saying he saw kids in my car. We chased them for a few, but of course they were long gone. With my 10 dollars in change.

Found out after getting back home that we were lucky. Our trunk was open and doors unlocked, we had just got home with the Christmas tree and hadn't unloaded it yet. They had made their way down our street breaking windows in cars that were locked.

Since ours were unlocked we didn't have to replace the windows. Punks.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
Virginia_Ghost
Rookie, at best.

First Name: Bo
Trading: (6)
Punch Army (Retired)
Virginia_Ghost will become famous soon enough

It's never easy to deal with thievery when it happens to you. Especially when you are in a "we don't have to lock our doors" kinda neighborhood. Get hit once, and it seems that the whole community has lost something.

I don't know what those Cigars are but they don't sound cheap.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
...Sooner or later they'll meet their due. Guaranteed.
One can only hope
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

That ain't right, Scott... sorry, brutha

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #8
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear Scotty... I started locking my car doors when I moved to Boston, living in the city will get you doing things like that.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Sorry to hear Scott. Most likely a couple teens that are behind it. They go around checking for unlocked car doors.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear it Scott.
I once had my car stolen.
Crappiest feeling in the world to go outside and look in your empty spot where your car once stood.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

I've had stuff stolen out of an unlocked truck and I had someone steal my old Yukon. Lesson I learned was if they want it bad enough they'll get it. Still though it sucks when it does happen and I agree there has to be a lucrative or lower risk illegal living.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sorry to hear that Scott. Having my car broken into is a huge fear of mine. I keep a lot of stuff in there not to mention the $3k+ of stereo and navi stuff in there. Being in a college town especially this one it's bound to happen, but I always make sure to have my umbrella insurance paid on time.

At least they didn't get more Scott. In the big sceme of things you were really lucky
Old 08-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #13
Prefy
Connoisseur of Pucks

First Name: Matt
Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Prefy will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear Scott.

But it seems to be the reality everywhere. My parents moved to a rural area north of Winnipeg in 99 and we have always felt really safe there. That meant we were pretty lax about locking doors and putting things inside. Especially seeing how the house is set a couple hundred feet off the highway.

Just a couple weeks ago I left my mountain bike outside the house right beside the garage. I left the house about 11:00PM (meeting the gf after a herf) and my sister got home about 1 am. In that time someone came down the driveway and jacked the bike.

I was pretty pissed off but I guess it was a good lesson learned on something that in the big picture is pretty minor. I generally leave the keys in the ignition of my car but that has definitely come to an end. I hope things don't escalate in our neighbourhood.
Prefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #14
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith4 View Post
I've had stuff stolen out of an unlocked truck and I had someone steal my old Yukon. Lesson I learned was if they want it bad enough they'll get it. Still though it sucks when it does happen and I agree there has to be a lucrative or lower risk illegal living.
No doubt. When I was in school, one summer I had a set of t-tops stolen from my car during broad daylight. The car was parked literally right next to the busiest highway in town while I was at work over the summer.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #15
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to her that Scott. Too bad you didn't get a chance to confront the chicken sh!ts!!
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #16
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to hear about you and your neighbors stolen items. Hopefully next time they get the five knuckle shuffle.
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleF View Post
Sorry to her that Scott. Too bad you didn't get a chance to confront the chicken sh!ts!!
It's probably best I didn't. I'd probably get hurt just from thumping them with a ball bat. Or get thrown in jail for shooting them. Or get my fat ass kicked.
I wonder if I could argue in court that I shot them instead of using the ball bat cause I was afraid I'd hurt my back?
I'd probably have to pay their hospital bills, too.
I'm really, honestly way ahead of the game.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #18
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear Scott. We ALWAYS lock our doors. Matter of face, Kellie says I am anal about it.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #19
Chingas
Death Is Waiting

First Name: Chingas
Trading: (35)
Partagas
Chingas has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I know what you mean, brother. I just choose to let it go, cause if I hang on to it, it'll be like they rob me over and over every day.
I've been so blessed that I can get new stuff.
They're not likely to end up in the shape I'm in. They've been robbing all over Portage County, going neighborhood to neighborhood. Sooner or later they'll meet their due. Guaranteed.
Spoken like a true Gentlemen. Karma is a finicky thing my friend and I believe they'll get theirs. You're right you're lucky and can replace the things that are gone now. Not everyone is as fortunate.

Letting it go and not dwelling on it is a smart idea. Today is another day and tomorrow another from there! Keep on keeping on Brother!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #20
darkleeroy
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Josh
Trading: (0)
HUpmann
darkleeroy is on a distinguished road

To be honest, I never lived in a place where keeping the doors locked wasn't a necessity. I've even had the gas stolen from my car, when everything was locked. On the plus side, at least you didn't get hurt, and they didn't steal the whole car.