Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2008, 09:11 AM   #1
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default College Registration Sucks!

Anybody else have this problem? It seems like everywhere I go trying to get back in to the university gives me the runaround. I go to the registrars office to the education department, back to the registrars office, then to another school to get a transcript which has already been sent to the university once (they lost it somewhere). Then I go back to the other school again to get another transcript. Finally I am able to register (at least I thought so), but then the Education dept will not clear a flag until I fill out an application w/ them and wait for it to be processed... This blows!

Tell me i'm not the only one that universities do this to.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation
Default Re: College Registration Sucks!

Yeah..College is a great place to learn how to talk to people and using the old saying "It's not what you know, it's who you know."

Everyone's had the same problems Andy...it's part of the college experience.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
Yeah..College is a great place to learn how to talk to people and using the old saying "It's not what you know, it's who you know."

Everyone's had the same problems Andy...it's part of the college experience.
It is about who you know. Thank God my father is a professor at the university. He's pulled a few strings, but I still get the runaround. I also assumed that it would be easier as an Alumni to return and take a few courses, but I assumed wrong.
We all know what happens when we assume.

Insert quote here.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
Trace63
We're all mad here

First Name: Kamil
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Trace63 is on a distinguished road

Mine was easy....

Got accepted...registered online = WIN!
[replicant_argent] 11:07 am: Wasn't wayne a busboy at the last supper?
[Dooge] 10:49 pm: just judo chopped a fly
Trace63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace63 View Post
Mine was easy....

Got accepted...registered online = WIN!

I have to register online, but I have to meet with people and fill out more paperwork before they lift a flag which will allow me to register.

Insert quote here.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Ace$nyper

Really depends on the school, currently it's a snap... for once.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
Seanohue
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Sean
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Seanohue is on a distinguished road

www.rose-hulman.edu

Try there Hope you like engineering! My application process for all the schools I applied to was pretty painless though.
Seanohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Its all red tape bs, nobody has a clue whats going on with other departments.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #9
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Only four days into the semester, I've finally registered for my courses. Online courses are great! I started the registration process on Dec 8th. It's now Jan. 8th. A month of going through red tape and forms and applications and phone calls and e-mails and anything else the beauracracy can throw at me. Now I have to pay for the classes and then catch up on the work (Classes started on Monday, I just got in Thursday).

Insert quote here.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
j-easy

I am a full time student at a community college, and a "transient student" at the local university where I am in a AFROTC program. It is insane the amount of time I have spent trying to do paperwork and register. When I started this I needed to fill out applications at 2 different schools, then make sure each one has the appropriate transcripts, test scores etc. and of course the military has a stack of paperwork they want filled out, some of which requires multiple medical appointments, and they wanted medical histories and transcripts and a million different other pieces of paperwork. My academic plan had to be signed off on by all 3 different groups, requiring 5 trips to talk to advisers. Registration is a mess too, i have to register at 2 different schools every semester, my schedules can't conflict etc. My class schedule seems to get totally restructured multiple times before it finally works. I honestly have spent dozens of hours talking to people, filling out forms, and waiting to talk to people in the last 6 months.

Graduation and Commissioning will make it all worth while though

short version: paper work for 2 colleges and the military all at once is a nightmare, i feel your pain
Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
Lorglath
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Bolivar
Lorglath is on a distinguished road

It is a lot of work, however, totally worth it when you get that $40,000-60,000 piece of paper!
Lorglath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
silentjon

Mine is rather easy - register online and they send me a bill.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:44 AM   #13
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorglath View Post
It is a lot of work, however, totally worth it when you get that $40,000-60,000 piece of paper!
I've already got the degree, I'm going back for a teaching liscence. And it's only a $31k paper for now.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #14
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

My friend, one day, you will find yourself knocking on 50 and looking back at college and wondering where has all that time gone and how much you would give to endure that all over again.

Don't see it as a obstacle. See it as an experience of a lifetime, that lasts a lifetime.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #15
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
My friend, one day, you will find yourself knocking on 50 and looking back at college and wondering where has all that time gone and how much you would give to endure that all over again.

Don't see it as a obstacle. See it as an experience of a lifetime, that lasts a lifetime.
The experience will last a lifetime at my rate. Three more courses for liscensure, then off for a master's degree, and maybe one day if I last that long a P.h.D.

It only took me from '97-'06 to get my B.A. in English.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #16
totallytentative

For a lot of people I think it is their first, shocking experience with a massive, faceless, inefficient bureaucratic quagmire. That's okay, it prepares you for the workforce later on.

At least I'm sure course registration will probably be better these days. It wasn't that long ago, but I remember doing telephone registration curled up in a blanket on the couch in the wee hours of the morning with one hand on the phone hook and the other on the "redial" button....
Old 01-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #17
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of

My son has had some issues this semester getting everything lined out as he is in the process of transferring to a new school. More than a few headaches.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #18
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallytentative View Post
For a lot of people I think it is their first, shocking experience with a massive, faceless, inefficient bureaucratic quagmire. That's okay, it prepares you for the workforce later on.
Well said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoe View Post
My son has had some issues this semester getting everything lined out as he is in the process of transferring to a new school. More than a few headaches.
Good luck with the transfer. May it be as easy as possible and prosperous.

Insert quote here.