Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-31-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
gbum
Feeling at Home

First Name: Asyraf
Trading: (0)
Partagas
gbum is on a distinguished road
Default Oliva Serie V Torpedo

From the Oliva's website
Quote:
Oliva Serie V - Ligero Especial

Serie V is a complex blend of Nicaraguan long filler tobaccos. Blended with specially fermented Jalapa Valley ligero, and finished with a high priming Habano Sun Grown Wrapper.

Blending Notes: This cigar is blended to deliver full body taste while maintaining an unparalleled smoothness. This flavorful blend exhibits complex tobacco with rich coffee and dark chocolate tones.

A subtle and well balanced spice is present throughout.
Size: 6 x 56 (Torpedo)
Wrapper: Habano Sun Grown
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Jalapa Valley Ligero
Smoking time: 2 hours 30 mins
Pair: water

I always a big fans of oliva's cigars.From the serie O,g and then nub...i love the flavour that they got.Now its the time for serie V,from the various review i read... this is the stick that i'm looking for... sweet coffee and creamy espresso being report over and over ...

as for my stick... i rest it for about 2 month since it arrive in constant 69-72 rh in my humidor...

it got a handsome appreance... dark brown ligero with slightly oily wrapper...very pack and bit heavy for it size, very nice deep chocolate smell from the foot...

time to light... its take abit longger for me to light this stick... the draw is quit tight..i need to cut it twice to make it abit loose..

the taste start with a bitter woody with mild pepper undertone... very long after taste... after an inch..it evolve to bitter espresso and chocolate...abit cedary... still the pepper still there but very mild...through out the stick... the state doesn't change much..the bitterness still there.. i try to purge... drink water... but it doesn't go away...

this stick produce quit a lot of smoke... but the ash doesn't hold properly at the 1st half..it get better for second half... the burn also not razor sharp..i need to touch up now end then...

this is the longest smoke i ever had... 2 hours and 30 mins... at one point i felt like being knock out... this is full body cigar that cannot be smoke with empty stomach... at least to me

overall,its a great cigar if not because of the bitterness... i love the flavour.. but the bitter part is killin me... i still got 4 stick in my humidor and would like to see what time can do to them...

until then... keep smokin guys!

Old 07-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Re: Oliva Serie V Torpedo

Nice review.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:20 AM   #3
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Nice review. Thank you very much for taking the time to share!

I'm no expert, by any means, but if you were to reduce the RH in your storage just a tad, you might have better luck with the draw, the burn and the bitterness. Try one of these that's sat around 62 and you may find an entirely different (and better) cigar.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
gbum
Feeling at Home

First Name: Asyraf
Trading: (0)
Partagas
gbum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Nice review. Thank you very much for taking the time to share!

I'm no expert, by any means, but if you were to reduce the RH in your storage just a tad, you might have better luck with the draw, the burn and the bitterness. Try one of these that's sat around 62 and you may find an entirely different (and better) cigar.
thanks for the tip,
i live in high humidity country... 70-80rh easily... need to do sumtin to reduce the humidity...
Old 08-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

THANKS, for the review...