Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Five Silly Blind Reviews

MCS contacted me earlier this month about doing some blind reviews. Little did I know that this was merely a ruse for getting my addy for a massive bombing run. I have let the five unbanded sticks rest in the humi for a week now, so I decided to go ahead with stick number one. So here goes:

Cigar #1

Pre-light Construction: 5x50 solid, natural (looks Cameroon?) veiny wrapper

Pre-light: smooth draw, strong cedar flavor

1st third: Upon lighting I immediately taste a sour/ammonia flavor. Uh-oh; hope this goes away. Ammonia/sourness has gone away. This cigar is smooth when exhaling through the nose. Faint hints of citrus are slightly noticeable, but with my unrefined palate, I can’t tell what the other flavors I’m picking up are yet. Spiciness (not peppery) is starting to kick in at the one inch mark; not too much, but it’s starting to have a little kick to it. Mixed in is some sweet flavor.

2nd third: Spice has disappeared. The smoothness has returned, along with a grassy flavor. Sweetness becomes more dominant. The smoke is very smooth when nose exhaling now. Very enjoyable at this point.

Final Third: It’s starting to get harsh, so I purged it. After purging, both nutty and cocoa flavors are discernable. Not as smooth as it was, but it’s still enjoyable. With about an inch left it starts to become slightly harsh and burns hot. I purge again, but to no avail. It’s still harsh, ad getting harsher.

Final Thoughts: The burn was true all the way down; completely even. The ammonia taste at the beginning scared me a little, but this cigar eventually mellowed and was quite smooth and enjoyable. A medium bodied cigar. The first and final third had NC qualities, while the second third had CC qualities. I thoroughly enjoyed this stick, although I have no guess as to what brand it is. Would I smoke this stick again? Yes.

I'm very curious to find out what this stick is. Thanks for the opportunity to do some blind reviews, Scott.

Insert quote here.

Last edited by Starscream; 07-18-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation
Default Re: Five Silly Blind Reviews

That was a Padilla Hybrid Robusto. A low-end Padilla offered at Cigars International. These aren't widely loved but I like them when I have a morning cigar. Great review!

MCS
Old 07-18-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Nice review Andy.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
lou2row

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
That was a Padilla Hybrid Robusto. A low-end Padilla offered at Cigars International. These aren't widely loved but I like them when I have a morning cigar. Great review!

MCS
How much time did you have this stick before sending for the review? These really turn it on after about a year sitting. The review sounds like it was still young.

Love the blind reviews! Glad to see some people doing it. Great way to learn your tastes without the hype.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Cigar #2

Construction: 6x50 boxed-pressed, natural, slightly-veiny wrapper, solid

Pre-Light Draw: Draw is smooth, slight cedar flavor

First Third: Upon lighting, I detect an earthy flavor and it’s very peppery through the nose. Pepper is still there but not as strong; the earthy flavor is increasing. This cigar is bold and the pepper is strengthening. I know this cigar. I’ve smoked it before. This has to be Nicaraguan.

Second Third: I’m tasting dark chocolate/coffee on the tongue w/ pepper still in the nose. Pepper has subsided; it’s still there, but the nose exhale is smoother now. The dark chocolate is more semi-sweet now.

Final Third: The wrapper is not wanting to stay lit. It could be due to the high humidity out here tonight. Pepper is gone completely. Still a strong smoke, though. Dark chocolate/coffee has returned. The last inch became really strong, giving me a slight tingle in my head.

Final Thoughts: I liked this cigar. It was full-bodied, yet not too strong. One of my favorite sticks is the Indian Tabac Super Fuerte maduro. I’ve never had an ITSF natural, but this is what I think it is. The ITSF maduros have the exact characteristics of the cigar I just smoked, but with a bit more sweetness to it. I would definitely recommend this stick, whatever it may be.

Insert quote here.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:12 AM   #6
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

Bolivar

That was a 5 Vegas Cask Strength II. Pretty surprising huh? I really like these.

Great review!

MCS
Old 07-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
That was a 5 Vegas Cask Strength II. Pretty surprising huh? I really like these.

Great review!

MCS
Wow! I've been wanting to try these. They taste just like the Indian Tabac Super Fuerte. I like this stick very much, but the ITSF's are similar and cheaper.

Insert quote here.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
Scottw
Going Commando

Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Keep em coming Andy, nice reviews.
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Cigar #3

Construction: 5.5x50 maduro

Pre-light Draw: tastes of cedar, smells chocolatey, smooth draw

First Third: I immediately taste strong chocolate and coffee. A typical sweet maduro cigar. Slight hints of pepper are detectable through the nose near the end of the first third.

Second Third: Pepper is more dominant. Still has a chocolate flavor, but pepper is in the forefront. Dark chocolate and leather flavors are now detectable. Sweetness is gone.

Final Third: Dark chocolate is still there. Pepper has been replaced with spice. Leather is more detectable. The final third is full-bodied in strength.

Final Thoughts: I had issues with the wrapper not wanting to burn, but this is probably my fault (the last three that I've smoked from my secondary humi have had wrapper issues). I'll remember to dry box the next couple before smoking out of the secondary humi. This is a medium-bodied smoke until the end. Full-strength kicks in in the final third. I like this cigar. But I like most typical sweet maduros with a little kick to them.

Insert quote here.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Quote:

Great review!

MCS
Great review Andy. I have also been wanting to try one of these.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:42 PM   #11
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
Great review Andy. I have also been wanting to try one of these.
Yeah, it satisfied my curiosity. I've really come to enjoy blind reviews. I've learned a lot by doing these.

Insert quote here.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:24 AM   #12
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Cigar #3

Construction: 5.5x50 maduro

Pre-light Draw: tastes of cedar, smells chocolatey, smooth draw

First Third: I immediately taste strong chocolate and coffee. A typical sweet maduro cigar. Slight hints of pepper are detectable through the nose near the end of the first third.

Second Third: Pepper is more dominant. Still has a chocolate flavor, but pepper is in the forefront. Dark chocolate and leather flavors are now detectable. Sweetness is gone.

Final Third: Dark chocolate is still there. Pepper has been replaced with spice. Leather is more detectable. The final third is full-bodied in strength.

Final Thoughts: I had issues with the wrapper not wanting to burn, but this is probably my fault (the last three that I've smoked from my secondary humi have had wrapper issues). I'll remember to dry box the next couple before smoking out of the secondary humi. This is a medium-bodied smoke until the end. Full-strength kicks in in the final third. I like this cigar. But I like most typical sweet maduros with a little kick to them.

That was a NC Bolivar something-something that was in a glass tube. I got a couple of these from somewhere and smoked one. They didn't do it for me. I would consider this the "dog rocket" of the bunch but am glad you liked it.

MCS
Old 07-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #13
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

I've had a Bolivar something-something in a glass tube before. One man's dog rocket is another man's treasure, huh?

Insert quote here.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:38 PM   #14
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

Bolivar

Quote:
I've had a Bolivar something-something in a glass tube before. One man's dog rocket is another man's treasure, huh?
Yeah! Your review may make me try another!

MCS
Old 07-22-2009, 07:46 PM   #15
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Yeah! Your review may make me try another!

MCS
I bought the ones I smoked before at the B&M in Gatlinburg, TN. Only place I've ever seen 'em. I don't remember the name of 'em either. I do remember them being the only Bolivar (NC) that I've ever seen in glass tubos.

Insert quote here.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:27 PM   #16
shemp
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: clark
Trading: (0)
Partagas
shemp is on a distinguished road

great job on the reviews andy, and great send MCS
shemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:37 PM   #17
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I bought the ones I smoked before at the B&M in Gatlinburg, TN. Only place I've ever seen 'em. I don't remember the name of 'em either. I do remember them being the only Bolivar (NC) that I've ever seen in glass tubos.
The only NC Bolivar in a glass tubo that I know is the Suntuoso. I did a review of it here

Enjoying this thread!
Old 07-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #18
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I always love reading blind reviews. Nothing better than challenging ones palate with some blind tastings. Good stuff.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #19
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Cigar #4

Construction: 5x42 natural wrapper This cigar looks great!

Pre-Light Draw: No discernible flavor, draw is a little tight

1st Third: Upon lighting, I immediately pick up a grassy flavor. A little spice is detectable through the nose. Sweetness kicks in. Grassiness is faint, spice is gone. Very smooth so far. I’m tasting something that I can’t quite define (champagne?). I’ll stick with the champagne description: smooth, sweet, and has a tingling feeling (like champagne bubbles). A little woody flavor is detectable (oak?). Sweet chocolate/caramel flavor is faint. Wood is the dominant flavor.

2nd Third: Woody flavor is now the only flavor detectable. Champagne flavor returns, but it’s not as strong as before. A tingling feeling through the nose is very enjoyable.

Final Third: The stick is becoming harsh, so I purge it and try to let it cool a bit. The stick ends with a musty, nutty taste.

Final Thoughts: I enjoyed this stick. I must have more. The end was a little lackluster, but the rest was quite tasty and enjoyable. I’d have to say that this is Cuban tobacco, a recent production. But then again, my CC experience is limited.

Insert quote here.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:26 AM   #20
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

Bolivar

Bolivar PC! You got the country right. The finish is usually the best part for me on these. I get the Oak flavor as well.

MCS

Quote:

Cigar #4

Construction: 5x42 natural wrapper This cigar looks great!

Pre-Light Draw: No discernible flavor, draw is a little tight

1st Third: Upon lighting, I immediately pick up a grassy flavor. A little spice is detectable through the nose. Sweetness kicks in. Grassiness is faint, spice is gone. Very smooth so far. I’m tasting something that I can’t quite define (champagne?). I’ll stick with the champagne description: smooth, sweet, and has a tingling feeling (like champagne bubbles). A little woody flavor is detectable (oak?). Sweet chocolate/caramel flavor is faint. Wood is the dominant flavor.

2nd Third: Woody flavor is now the only flavor detectable. Champagne flavor returns, but it’s not as strong as before. A tingling feeling through the nose is very enjoyable.

Final Third: The stick is becoming harsh, so I purge it and try to let it cool a bit. The stick ends with a musty, nutty taste.

Final Thoughts: I enjoyed this stick. I must have more. The end was a little lackluster, but the rest was quite tasty and enjoyable. I’d have to say that this is Cuban tobacco, a recent production. But then again, my CC experience is limited.