Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation
Default God of Fire by Don Carlos - Review from 2008

This review was originally posted else ware... by me on April 4th, 2008

I will start by thanking Shawn for this wonderful experience and opportunity. These cigars aren't easy to come by, thus why it was simply a 'wish' for me, and not some spontaneous purchase off CBid.

I told him when I received this that I wasn't going to save it for a special occasion, but rather just enjoy it. Oddly enough a special occasion presented itself on the very night I planned to enjoy it. For those that know me, I had a turn of events in college tonight that was life changing. My future will be brighter from here on out, and I can safely sleep at night knowing I have a good chance at graduating with my degree. For those that don't know the story, I'll just leave it with saying.... Bureaucratic nonsense runs rampid in the collegiate system. It isn't fair. But tonight it was made clear that it will be fair for me in the near future. I made my mistakes, and I have to live with them. I learned from them, and I grew from them. This change in policy allows me to leave my mistakes behind me, rather than condemn me for them. (This has to do with GPA).

But anyways. Tonight was a good night. One I could look back on 10 years from now and not forget a single moment. This cigar helped single out this moment in my history as one of the best of the past 5 years.

I began with this.

A typical cut, toast, and light. Paired with a cheap cognac (I'm a college student after all). The Game of Life (how appropriate ) and my wonderful and beautiful fiance who has stuck by me through thick and thin for 5 years of my life.

Now the first few bits of the cigar was a little bitter, little harsh. I was warned by Silverfox that this might be the case, so I kept it cool as I slowly went through it. I wish I could say the game was going better for me, but it wasn't lol. For those who have played the game of life.. you can laugh with me when I say... BULL#*$

JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas
Default Re: God of Fire by Don Carlos - Review from 2008

At about this next point. A wonderful flavor started to emerge. Something smooth, tastey, and unforgettable. I couldn't pinpoint it, but honestly I didn't care. If I ever run into this taste again, I'll simply call it God of Fire. It had a typical AF spice lingering in the aftertaste, but very different overall from anything I've had.

At about the first ash, the bitterness crept back, so I attributed it to being a little hot with the wind outside, so I slowed down a bit, and it went away.

Notice the perfect burn. This perfect burn continued throughout the entire cigar. Not a single issue, even with the wind. Draw was consistent and perfect as well.

The bitterness subsided and I even caught a break in the game.

I got to trade Salary cards with my fiance .

Woo! raking in the money now.

But in my haste of celebration, I realized the devil woman stole my cigar.

Her dainty little puffs revealed an unforgettable smile, as she too enjoyed this wonderful cigar.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Sadly my luck with spinning the wheel nearly vanished as I rolled 1's for about 5 turns in a row. So where I started at the blue trade a salary section, even after 4-5 turns I had yet to have a payday with my newly stolen salary card. My fiance gladly pointed out my misfortune

So the game ended shortly there after as she finished, and I continued getting crap spins, and she won the game. Though one of my Life tiles was really amusing.

The flavor continued. It seemed to be continuous and consistent with the hint of spice lingering in the background, though it continuously crept more predominant as the cigar progressed on.

And as with all good things, they must come to an end.

We sat there and talked about our future together, and discussed possible locations of our wedding as I nubbed the cigar. It was the end of a great moment, as we were planning the beginning of another great moment.

I can honestly say I don't have a developed palet, I can't label flavors that well, and if you gave me a blind taste test, I would be more wrong than right, but what I can say is I did enjoy this cigar. I would rate it as the best cigar I've had to date and I enjoyed it at about the best moment I've had to date since starting cigars. To top it off I enjoyed it with the woman I love on a nice chilly 50 degree Oregon night on our secluded porch.

My verdict? A+

Thankyou Shawn. I wish I could express my gratitude more, but unfortunately a simple thankyou will have to suffice
Old 07-14-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

This review then led to this post.

Quote:
There are few moments in my busy schedule that I just stop and appreciate all that life has given me. I tend to live in the now because of all the setbacks I've received through the years. Some out of my control, others just simply mistakes that I have to live with.

One thing I've always appreciated is my friends. Specifically those who believe in me. Without them I'd accomplish nothing.

One such friend shook me to the very core with the smallest of packages.

Within the small package was this note.

Quote:
Jordan,

Enclosed in this box are three special cigars from me. The box was handmade to the specifications of the enclosed cigars by Scott Shilala. My hopes for you in these cigars are that you hold them and smoke each one in its time. The first is to be for celebration of your graduation. The second would be in celebration of your wedding. The third would be in celebrating welcoming your first child into this world.

Over the months on CS I have come to consider you a great friend and think that you will go on to enjoy great things in life, the cigars are my reminder to you to stop and enjoy life's great moments as they are fleeting.

Warm regards,

Shawn (SilverFox)

Shawn... I don't even know where to begin... I'll start with thank you and hope to fulfill all that is deserved by such a gift. It definitely made me give pause to appreciate all that life will have in store for me, no matter how long it takes to achieve it.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

I will be lighting up the middle cigar of that photo in about 5 days time...

The bottom cigar will be lit up this next spring...

The top cigar, lets hope not for a while ....

Thankyou my friend for the encouragement and support that has driven me to achieve in life!

Last edited by JE3146; 07-14-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

Great review Jordan.

I play that damn game with my niece a lot and will agree on the BS. Never knew there was a simpsons version.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the review Jordan.
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough

Great review Jordan! I love me some GOF's!
Old 07-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

thanks for posting this here. I remember both threads.

I've had both the carlito and don carlos GOF, and to be honest, the carlito kicks the don carlos' butt.

The don carlos was, IMO a pretty decent $8 smoke. The carlito was one of the few smokes I've actually come close to saying was worth the price tag.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #10
heavyd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
heavyd has disabled reputation

Thanks for the review. I don't care for the Don Carlos, but the Carlito is one great smoke, in my limited experience. Those photos are excellent...makes me wish I had a better camera...or some photography skill

"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright." ~Bill Withers
heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #11
darkninja67

Thanks for the review Jordan
I really need to try one of these someday.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough

Yeah, most people prefer the Carlito blend. I like them both, but I think I prefer the Don Carlos. Maybe it's because I don't like Cameroon wrappers all that much.