Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough
Wink Partagas Black torpedo

I was really amazed by this cigar.The Partagas Black torpedo has a coal black, very oily velvety wrapper with almost invisible seams.It is well packed ,firm and nicely heavy,the draw is firm,giving sweet,earthy flavors and the rich taste of well cured tobaccos.The cap is perfect,and the cut is clean and even.
The first third is full of rich aromas,there are hints of coffee,bold leather and cocoa flavors,hints of white pepper and cedary aromas,with low notes of caramel.The range of flavors is surprising and complex,very impressive.
The second third produces a big leathery essence,creamy notes,cedar and cinnamon aromas,a firm lingering finish with notes of white pepper.The burn is slightly uneven,not a surprise in a vitola this size,it is self correcting.
The final third is much more intense,very tasty notes of caramel and cocoa,firm cedar and brown sugar aromas followed by deep tobacco and leathery notes on the palate.The flavors are very big and full for a Partagas,full bodied and rich,definately the fullest body Partagas I have ever had.The burn was very good throughout,needing no touchups.I would strongly recommend ageing these,they will surely be wonderful after a time,be patient and the rewards will worth it.I rate this little marvel 8 out of 10 strength, 18.5 of 20 overall.
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
blooz4u

Default Re: Partagas Black torpedo

Thanks for the review!
Old 07-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

One of my favorite sticks.
Great review.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Stig
Dead Pool Junkie

First Name: Matt
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Stig will become famous soon enough

For what it's worth, this is one of my favorite NC's. I had a box of them and smoked them slowly over a 2 year period and I must say that some things do get better with age. Ifyou have the opportunity to set a few aside to rest for a long period of time and do an A B comparison I would highly recommend it. After the long nap the stick is still full bodied but looses any hints hints of harshness a strong maduro like this can tend to have and it just becomes a nice mellow full bodied smoke. Candy I tell you.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review!!
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

Great review thanks! For whatever reason I've never tried a NC Partagas...I'm certainly going to pick up a couple of these.
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #7
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Try them they are very good. I have been through many a boxes of these. The one other prominent flavor is raisin. They are very deep and rich no matter what size you choose.
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
DougBushBC

One of the very very rare few Non-cuban Old Cuban Marcas that I like. A strange but delish smoke.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
darkninja67

Thanks for the review. I agree that the Black is a pretty good NC smoke. I have a box of Magnificos resting for awhile now. The last one I had was kind of tight on the draw, the rest were fine though. I may smoke one today actually.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #10
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Very nice review!!!

I love these!!! The Maximo Tubo is my very favorite of the Black Partagas!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #11
scooter

Very nice review of a very good stick.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:49 AM   #12
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

These are on joecigar today, and I've been considering getting them... are they a nic bomb? I usually stick to mild-med (leaning on med) sticks.

Sounds good tho!
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:18 AM   #13
WyoBob
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bob
Trading: (1)
WyoBob will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrak View Post
These are on joecigar today, and I've been considering getting them... are they a nic bomb? I usually stick to mild-med (leaning on med) sticks.
Sounds good tho!
IMO, they're a lot stronger looking than they really are. I'd consider them "medium" and I've never gotten a buzz from these and they're some of my favorites.

WyoBob
WyoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #14
Vance2

Great review. Partagas Blacks are also one of my favorites. My only complaint with them is lately I've gotten a few that were unsmokable because the draw was too tight.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #15
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the review. I was gifted one of these in the Shemp's Revenge bomb. I'll let it rest for a while, but your review is tempting me.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #16
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Thanks for the review, I have only had a couple of these but enjoyed them a lot.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote