Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #4201
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

So no 100-rd beta mags in ur Ar the lol
Old 01-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #4202
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (17)
Digs will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Yep! Or there's a link over in arfcom for a $300 lifetime membership
Justin I upgraded my my membership using a sponsor on arfcom, $300

Worked like a charm - This is a great deal $700 savings!!

A gun in your hand is better then a cop on the phone
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #4203
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Good to hear Dennis. Regular membership for me and the wife right now
Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #4204
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
So no 100-rd beta mags in ur Ar the lol
Nope! And no 48rd mags if I start doing 3gun next year.... at least not at in-state matches.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #4205
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I know one of the things that will be touched on in a new law will be the requirement of a background check for all private sales. Anyone have an issue with it?

Personally, I'm for it. Would you want to know people that are denied via a dealer/background check can just resort to buying off a private sale with no such consideration? The only downfall will involve a bureaucratic process of P2P sales that will obviously encounter increased time and expense to make said transaction.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #4206
macon
Never had a Cohiba...

First Name: Macon
Trading: (0)
macon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
Welcome to the forums Macon! Stop by the New Inmate Processing area and introduce yourself

The last few weeks when I went to a show, I showed up around noon, and by then the line had died down to about 20 minutes...
But really, stocks are so low, there's better stuff online these days. ONLY thing I've seen worthwhile at at the shows is the private sales... there's still a few decent deals to be had in that arena.
Did - thanks.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #4207
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Duane, only if they open nics up to everyone. If u have to go to a dealer to do private sales then they can FOAD
Old 01-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #4208
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
I know one of the things that will be touched on in a new law will be the requirement of a background check for all private sales. Anyone have an issue with it?

Personally, I'm for it. Would you want to know people that are denied via a dealer/background check can just resort to buying off a private sale with no such consideration? The only downfall will involve a bureaucratic process of P2P sales that will obviously encounter increased time and expense to make said transaction.
I would rather not speculate at all how we maybe getting f--ked buy doing this we are already conceding that there going to get something thru! Even if he goes the EO route its still subject to congressional review (he is not a king and cant invalidate the senate and congress)I don’t think there are many Republicans that are going to vote against gun owners, even slick Willy mentioned numerous times that the 94 AWB cost him the house and Senate. I DONT have a problem with stopping papered nuts and non US citizens from buying firearms. (WTF?)

Here in Pa you cant legally sell long guns to another individual that you know is able to pass a back ground check, if you sell it to someone you know couldn’t legally obtain it you are in trouble its considered a straw purchase. As far as handguns go in Pa with the exception of immediate family you need to go to the gun shop and have them perform the back ground check.

I am still preparing for the worst and hoping for the best

Old 01-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #4209
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:

I am not for it at all. It will cost you more when you go to sell a firearm. I am sure FFL dealers will want to charge you to do a background check.

Also, the wording of the Second Amendment says "...shall not be infringed."

No compromise.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #4210
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I am not for it at all. It will cost you more when you go to sell a firearm. I am sure FFL dealers will want to charge you to do a background check.

No compromise.
There's always opening NICS to everyone so u can do your own checks. But I would rather nothing.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #4211
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:

No compromise.
I already have local dealers that "rape and pillage the village"
On P2P back ground checks / $50 !!!

Old 01-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #4212
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Quote:
Yep! Or there's a link over in arfcom for a $300 lifetime membership
Thanks for this info, going to check with a family member that's a lifetime member to see if I can get in on this
Old 01-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #4213
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

In California we already do that. All PPT's must go through a dealer, $35 for transfers and 10 day waiting period.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #4214
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
In California we already do that. All PPT's must go through a dealer, $35 for transfers and 10 day waiting period.
There you go forgop.

I'll pass on all that BS
Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #4215
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

No compromise.
Well, in some ways that right has already been infringed upon based upon the background check through dealer purchases. I'm just of the opinion that felons shouldn't have easier access buying from me than a dealer. It's obviously up to our discretion on who we sell to, but I'm not confident in the average citizen's judgment on who they sell to as long as they get the money.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #4216
Digs
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Well, in some ways that right has already been infringed upon based upon the background check through dealer purchases. I'm just of the opinion that felons shouldn't have easier access buying from me than a dealer. It's obviously up to our discretion on who we sell to, but I'm not confident in the average citizen's judgment on who they sell to as long as they get the money.
If John Q public sells a gun to "felon" then he himself is a "felon"
Felons don’t go down to the local gun shop and perform a back ground check on a firearm that is probably stolen!??

Once again this only effects to hard working, law abiding, tax paying citizens

Old 01-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #4217
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

+1. Most criminals don't go to gun shows to buy guns from private individuals. Most criminals get their guns from burglaries, and the black market.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #4218
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:

On the surface, it sounds good... except the details of any implementation fall apart, and make every owner trackable.

Lets explore it:
New law - "private sales must be done at a dealer and have a background check."

But, here's the rub. If me and Justin are pals and live in the same town, I want to sell a gun to him. He's not going to turn me in, so we sell it privately. how would you know we sold it privately? Only one way - guns & serial numbers have to be linked to their owners and tracked, and if the correct owner doesn't have it, big doo doo for that owner. Which means they know what each owner has.

Right now for example, I purchased a Glock 17 last week. That was last week. There is a paper trail that leads from the Manufacturer, to the dealer, and then to me. But that's where the chain gets broken. You have NO IDEA if I still have it today. I could have just as easily sold it yesterday. Sorry officer, I don't have that anymore.

Right now there is no central database (ATF has to do it by hand, call the dealer, etc), however the creation of one is being strongly considered by the prez, and honestly, it wouldn't take much, I'd say it's a high likelihood.

So assuming we have a central database of sales, BLAM, who needs "registration?". One computer search will show exactly what I have - keyword, HAVE, present tense, not "HAD" as in past tense. Someone shows up at my door and asks to see my Glock 17 that I purchased last week, then I damned well better have it or the paper trail to prove I don't. I can't say I needed money and sold it at a gun show yesterday, they're going to need to see that paper trail. But maybe I don't want people to know I have it

And if that paper trail requirement doesn't exist, then what is the point? People are lazy, they will continue to sell without a BG check to anyone that doesn't look like a BATF agent, why go through the hassle if you don't have to?

Finally, bear in mind that most felon's have been trained by the U.S. Prison system to get what they want in a complete lock down environment. If they can find a way to get drugs, booze, weapons etc while in the slammer, something tells me that adding another layer of background checks will be largely ineffective, they'll just go through other routes!

(And the felons that haven't received that training are usually felons because of softer crimes, like I stole $15k, the kinds of guys we really don't need to worry about too much.)

Now, with all of that said (because I couldn't resist, and I should have), I think we're dancing with the political devil here topic wise, and probably, err no, NEED to be more careful
Old 01-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #4219
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

In Oregon, there is a "Blue form"(I don't know the form number) that gun show promoters have to supply for private sales, You need a cell and a credit card for the 10 dollar fee, you can call in your own background checks if you want.

Other states might do the same or similar....
Old 01-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #4220
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

AIM Surplus had some 7.62x39 in stock last night, but of course it all sold out quickly.
Closed Thread