Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Boogie2dope

Default What do you think about "Expensive Cigars?"

Good day my BOTL,

Today I picked up a Graycliff Pirate Emerald (Green Label) simply for the hell of it. Most of what I've read about this brand is that it is simply overpriced for the quality delivered. However it is the holiday season and I decided to splurge and try a few sticks that are above my means. I also bought a Davidoff Small Perfecto and an Avo XO Maestoso, all smokes that I would never buy on a normal basis because I simply can't afford to spend 15$-20$ per stick. I smoked the Avo today and did enjoy it, but in the end I've plenty other sticks that are half the price I enjoy more. Sooooooo.....

My question is this, banning the reason of "if you've got it to spend, spend it," how do you folks feel about "elite" cigars? Cubans are one thing, they can be hard to get, there is a high demand, etc., and the prices on those puppies "may" be justifiable. But sticks you can pickup at any decent B&M or online, is there any real reason to spend this type of money on a smoke? Also, it isn't just the elite names that are pricey these days. I've seen quite a few cheaper brands produce limited runs or "special" version of their sticks that are priced in the 15$+ range/piece.

I suppose there is a part of me that is frustrated, because I feel price should reflect quality. Are all of these pricey smokes made with extremely old tobacco? Do they have wrappers grown in the most difficult of climates? I looooove good cigars, as I know all my brothers out there do too! But it's getting to the point were I can hardly afford to try a lot of new sticks because they are just too expensive! The worst part is, I want to try them! I desire to purchase these cigars and smoke them!

Maybe I just needed to vent, and if so then I appreciate you gents (and ladies) allowing me a space to do so. If I can smoke an exspensive stick and say at the end, "damn that was worth it," than perhaps I'm not talking about those smokes (but still.) .....eh, life goes on.

~Boogie
Old 12-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
Cornrow_Wallis
<insert user title>

First Name: Rob
Trading: (8)
Cornrow_Wallis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What do you think about "Exspensive Cigars?"

None of those cigars are worth $15 each, IMO. Although there are cigars that I would pay that much for, on occasion. I like the Avo XO series, but at most I would give six or seven dollars for one, don't care for the Davidoffs or Graycliffs.
Cornrow_Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

I'd buy HTF Tats for that kind of dough. Or Padrons!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
Marlon K
2nd Place is first loser

First Name: Marlon
Trading: (3)
Bolivar
Marlon K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
I'd buy HTF Tats for that kind of dough. Or Padrons!
Good call Kevin
Old 12-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

I haven't had too many cigars that I would be happy to spend $15 on. I find my pleasure is derived from a good cigar, good scotch or a nice wine that fits my budget. I've had a lot of guys who upon seeing me with a cigar will tell me about them or their buddies hanging out smoking cigars that "are like 50 bucks man!". I don't see it.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

As is the case with any cigar in any price range, some are worth it and some are not.

Looks like you can cross these off the list.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Davidoff & the high end Padrons are the only regular production sticks I would shell out $20+ for, but not that often.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
celtic250
Smoke em if ya got em

First Name: Greg
Trading: (21)
Cohiba
celtic250 is on a distinguished road

I agree with everyone above. Those sticks I would not personally pay that $ for but there are sticks that I would have no problem paying 15-20$ for. Then again its whatever you enjoy.
celtic250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

There's elite quality, and then there are cigars which are priced at an elite level but don't live up to it.

Look in the reviews here; it's an invaluable resource.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

'spensive cigarz taste better. yo.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

I've bought cigars for $20 I wouldn't pay $5 for again and paid $5 for something I'd pay $20 for. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #12
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattso3000 View Post
I've bought cigars for $20 I wouldn't pay $5 for again and paid $5 for something I'd pay $20 for. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.
This.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #13
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

I really like the Graycliff reds. I haven't tried the one you had though. I agree they are not worth the retail price. They are worth the $5 you can find them for online though.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:24 PM   #14
AlohaStyle
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (40)
AlohaStyle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
^ yep

And saying you expect good quality cigars if they are expensive... A lot of more expensive cigars are quality cigars, but you just might not like the blend and flavor profile, doesn't mean it isn't quality. Of course there are some crap cigars that claim they are high quality and have a high price like some Gurkhas. But there can be some aging, high quality tobacco and work that goes into making good quality cigars even though not everyone likes them.

I personally don't buy Padrons because there's a lot of cigars out there that I like where I can buy 2-3 cigars for the price of 1 Padron. I would rather spend my money on those, not expensive Padrons.
AlohaStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:50 AM   #15
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
+3
Old 12-21-2011, 04:23 AM   #16
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Price alone is generally not the sole determining factor for me. "Value" is far more important. I don't mind spending good money on a cigar that's worth it.
Posted via Mobile Device
massphatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:06 AM   #17
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with a few others here...there are some sticks out there with a high price tag on them that aren't worth it and there are others that are very inexpensive that I'd pay more than what they go for to smoke again.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:18 AM   #18
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

There are some sticks that are worth the money based on rarity or coffin packaging but most that they sell at a typical B&M that are regularly available I wouldn't waste the money on.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:43 AM   #19
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Ultimately, I cannot decide for anybody else, what is worth the $$ they spend on cigars. You've already heard lots of opinions about which cigars are $20 sticks and which are $5 sticks.

Personally, I don't know that there are many cigars out there worth $20. In fact, I'm not sure there are any I'd personally spend $20 on. It isn't that there aren't some great cigars in that range, but I personally don't have the expendable income to justify throwing $20 at a cigar. About as high as I'll go is the $10 range, and even that is done rarely and only for what I personally consider a stellar smoke.

But, what's a stellar smoke? I know that some of the cigars I love, others consider to only be OK. On the other hand, there are some sticks out there that people rave about and I scratch my head saying, "OK, but I just don't get it." Unfortunately, the only way to find out what you think is worth any amount of money is to buy the cigar and try it yourself.

Your financial wherewithal and your cigar tastes will help you decide what you can and cannot spend a lot of money on.

When each of my sons were born, I bought a special stick for me, something I wouldn't spend the coin on again. For my 25th Anniversary, I did it again. I am not sure if there is an event coming for which I will do so again or not.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #20
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
There's elite quality, and then there are cigars which are priced at an elite level but don't live up to it.

Look in the reviews here; it's an invaluable resource.
What Joe said, you bought sticks that can be had much cheaper on places like the devil site and need to do some more research before spending that kind of money on a stick again. There are many sticks worth that price and more but you need to know their actual value and the guys here can help you with that better than anywhere.