Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
OnlyDryReds
Driving around aimlessly

First Name: Rob
Trading: (12)
Trinidad
OnlyDryReds is on a distinguished road
Default Tamp Humidor Salerno

Just a newbie who had a bad experience and is passing it along.

I received my new humidor this past Friday, since I figured I should get something a little bigger then I thought I would ever need, I ordered the Salerno ( supposed 300ct ). Since I figured this was my first and I wanted something nice I didnt order the "imperfect" and paid the extra bucks for the "first" rate one. Well, after taking it out of box, getting hygometers in for calibration, and placing the "seasoning kit" inside, I left it for the night. Next day I opened, and looking closer at hinges, they were both loose, the left and right side ones, not the piano one. I couldnt tighten since it was not real wood but fiber board ( just heavy duty cardboard ). So I figured I was this far Id fix it myself with 5 min epoxy in screw holes, pushing it into holes with paperclip, those hinges are now better then new. So after letting it sit a couple more days, I dusted it all off, cleaned glass, and found a mark I could not get off the right side. Now I was getting PO. So emailed Tampa... Nothing...Emailed them again today, and asked, no sorry? no we will try to do better? I told them in email that I paid for first rate, not imperfect, and since they couldnt even say sorry, I wouldnt buy from again, and would let others know about the customer service. This is now third online cigar/humidor company I will not deal with again. ( others are for another day when I do a review on a Gurhka package I bought )

I am sure most people never have or had an issue with this perticular company, but all I am saying is be very careful and check every detail on unit before starting to setup.
OnlyDryReds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tamp Humidor Salerno

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyDryReds View Post
Just a newbie who had a bad experience and is passing it along.

I received my new humidor this past Friday, since I figured I should get something a little bigger then I thought I would ever need, I ordered the Salerno ( supposed 300ct ). Since I figured this was my first and I wanted something nice I didnt order the "imperfect" and paid the extra bucks for the "first" rate one. Well, after taking it out of box, getting hygometers in for calibration, and placing the "seasoning kit" inside, I left it for the night. Next day I opened, and looking closer at hinges, they were both loose, the left and right side ones, not the piano one. I couldnt tighten since it was not real wood but fiber board ( just heavy duty cardboard ). So I figured I was this far Id fix it myself with 5 min epoxy in screw holes, pushing it into holes with paperclip, those hinges are now better then new. So after letting it sit a couple more days, I dusted it all off, cleaned glass, and found a mark I could not get off the right side. Now I was getting PO. So emailed Tampa... Nothing...Emailed them again today, and asked, no sorry? no we will try to do better? I told them in email that I paid for first rate, not imperfect, and since they couldnt even say sorry, I wouldnt buy from again, and would let others know about the customer service. This is now third online cigar/humidor company I will not deal with again. ( others are for another day when I do a review on a Gurhka package I bought )

I am sure most people never have or had an issue with this perticular company, but all I am saying is be very careful and check every detail on unit before starting to setup.
I go to Tampa Humidor at least 3 or 4 times a week and they are known for their customer service. It is very odd to hear an issue with unreturned emails. If you PM me your full name and email address I will talk to the owner or the manager this evening and get it straightened out for you.

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Just another reason to support your local B&M!
Old 06-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
Mindflux

Give 'em a call. When emails don't work get someone on the horn.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
issues
Have My Own Room

VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
Give 'em a call. When emails don't work get someone on the horn.
If you want to call ask for Mike (he's the owner).

1-800-990-8535
Old 06-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
OnlyDryReds
Driving around aimlessly

Trinidad

Quote:
Originally Posted by issues View Post
I go to Tampa Humidor at least 3 or 4 times a week and they are known for their customer service. It is very odd to hear an issue with unreturned emails. If you PM me your full name and email address I will talk to the owner or the manager this evening and get it straightened out for you.

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience.
I am sure there are many many people who never had an issue with this perticular company, but I was one of the unlucky ones. Some days I am to busy to call and wait on hold for someone and just fire off and email, and when it doesnt get resonded to I send another. But when I paid for first rate and got imperfect, I think at least a "Sorry" was in order? Again, I just had a bad expirence with them, and everyone should be careful and look over everything they get before they start using it.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I believe they will make it right if you talk to the right person.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyDryReds View Post
I am sure there are many many people who never had an issue with this perticular company, but I was one of the unlucky ones. Some days I am to busy to call and wait on hold for someone and just fire off and email, and when it doesnt get resonded to I send another. But when I paid for first rate and got imperfect, I think at least a "Sorry" was in order? Again, I just had a bad expirence with them, and everyone should be careful and look over everything they get before they start using it.
I know waiting on hold to talk to somebody can be annoying and time consuming, but generally speaking you will get much further than just sending an email. Smaller companies like this (as in ones that don't have people dedicated to responding to email issues) might take a little while to get back to emails sent. I've never dealt with this company, but it seems others have and have had a good experience. I would see what they are willing to do first before writing them off for good
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #9
scoop

I have dealt with Tampa Humidor multiple times and have never had a problem with customer service. They are top notch!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
DropTheE
Loves Wolfgang Guitars!!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (32)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
DropTheE has a spectacular aura aboutDropTheE has a spectacular aura about

I had some issues with my Lexington cabinet when it shipped, it was dinged up and it took them a bit to get back to me. Usually 24 hours is a good time period to count on. They should make it right for you brother, I am sure that they will be happy to send out a brand spankin new one for you if that is what you desire.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volusianator View Post
I find this statement to be quite ignorant.

Most B&Ms aren't going to spend the money and buy/showcase 100's of different humidors for your choosing pleasure. The internet is a decent place to buy a humidor as long as the place is reputable and have a good track record (ask around first). We all try to support local B&M's (no brainer) so maybe stick to cigars and smaller accessories? With all this being said, I have dealt with Tampahumidor on 4-5 occasions and have been pleased thus far.

I am sorry about you issues with their product. I have personally owned the Salerna and was very happy with the purchase (i bought an imperfect too). I do hope that your issue is resolved in the end. Remember, you are the customer. And although they say the customer is not always right.. the customer is still the customer. It seems like you may have to be persistent with them to get your issue straightened out.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #12
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post

Most B&Ms aren't going to spend the money and buy/showcase 100's of different humidors for your choosing pleasure. The internet is a decent place to buy a humidor as long as the place is reputable and have a good track record (ask around first). We all try to support local B&M's (no brainer) so maybe stick to cigars and smaller accessories? With all this being said, I have dealt with Tampahumidor on 4-5 occasions and have been pleased thus far.
I find your reasoning to be as ignorant.

I work at two cigar shops, both of which would be more than happy to order a humidor that we don't stock on a regular basis. It's easy to simply ignore an e-mail, but a little more difficult to ignore a customer standing across the counter from you asking a question. So, is my statement "quite ignorant", not even a little. But you're jumping to conclusions and not thinking outside the box was.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #13
thebiglebowski
Jack White's Roadie...

First Name: larry
Trading: (0)
Partagas
thebiglebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
yeah. you would.
thebiglebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #14
issues
Have My Own Room

VR

Quote:
I find your reasoning to be as ignorant.

I work at two cigar shops, both of which would be more than happy to order a humidor that we don't stock on a regular basis. It's easy to simply ignore an e-mail, but a little more difficult to ignore a customer standing across the counter from you asking a question. So, is my statement "quite ignorant", not even a little. But you're jumping to conclusions and not thinking outside the box was.
I spoke with the owner of Tampa Humidor the day this was posted and by the time I spoke to him, he had already returned the email in question. He apologized and did not see the original email until he received the follow up. He also asked if there is anything he could do to let him know.

He did not ignore the email and for the people around here in Tampa this is a B&M and lounge; one of the best in town.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #15
ckay
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
ckay is on a distinguished road

You have time to send out an E-mail, you have the time to make a call.

It's as bad as my buddies texting me "What are you doing tonight?" How about a phone call that will last 45 seconds versus a text barrage for the next 3 minutes?

Thanks for posting your experience though.
ckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #16
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

SCdlH

Quote:
Originally Posted by issues View Post
I spoke with the owner of Tampa Humidor the day this was posted and by the time I spoke to him, he had already returned the email in question. He apologized and did not see the original email until he received the follow up. He also asked if there is anything he could do to let him know.

He did not ignore the email and for the people around here in Tampa this is a B&M and lounge; one of the best in town.
Glad he's making it right!
Old 06-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #17
rgrecco
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ronald
Trading: (4)
LFdC
rgrecco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hey Wade... Its hard to support your local B&M when you can get boxes for $50+ cheaper online...

My B&M wants $180 for a Box of LFD DL 700's... I ordered a box online for $120 SHIPPED!!!!!!

RON
rgrecco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #18
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

Wow i have ordered my last 3 humidors from Tampa Humidors and have been very impressed with there level of customer service every time. This is not the norm with them . Hope they make it right.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #19
OnlyDryReds
Driving around aimlessly

Trinidad

I have chatted with owner, and he wasnt pleased either with the fact my original email went unanswered. He did take care of it, and I was pleasantly suprised with that. I wasnt trying to flame an owner, as I had stated. But I am saying ( esp for newbies ), that before you fill that brand new purchase, no matter where it came from, look it over. Now gotta work on filling it!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:28 AM   #20
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Good to hear they stepped up and resolved the issue. I think most vendors in this industry are pretty stand up and will resolve any issues whether they are a local B&M or an online resource. It is a small community when you think about it and word spreads fast especially if you suck as a retailer so if a retailer refuses to make good on issues that arise from time to time it won't take long before most of us know about it. Things will happen especially when you involve shipping as most packages take a beating in transport and these things are to be expected from time to time. I personally would not have even taken the time to mess with rigging up the hinges and would have made a phone call at that point so your more patient than I in that sense.
I fully agree with supporting your local B&M in one way or another. I have never bought a humidor from a local vendor as the price difference is just too significant. The same goes for most of my box purchases. Just to much of a savings by buying online. I will try and stop in to my locals regularly and buy a handful of singles or small accessories and of course that impulse buy.
I wouldn't say Volusianators statement was ignorant but this is not a reason to totally disregard all online retailers. If I could buy the same Cab from my local for what I paid online I would have done it even with having to pay tax if they had it in stock but the truth is I would have paid a minimum of $100-$200 more plus tax and if there were issues with damage from shipping I still feel I would have come out ahead as I still would have had to wait for the local retailer to order it and have it shipped in to their shop. This still doesn't guarantee that the product would not come in damaged from shipping. So throwing that blanket statement out there doesn't really guarantee total satisfaction in this case. The only difference would have been it would have been the retailer doing the leg work getting the issue resolved. Either way if it comes in damaged it is still a PITA and in this particular case I think the issue would have been resolved much faster if he called rather than firing of an e-mail but we are in the day and age of e-mail, texts and Facebook and people don't want to talk to each other any more.