Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #21
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Surrogates

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44stampede View Post
Those aren't?

I thought the same thing.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #22
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

I always find it comical at how much anything pertaining to Pete brings out the hate. There are a ton of smokes from many manufacturers with dumb ass names that no one ever mentions but if it's a stick produced by Pete a thread can grow to pages of hate. I always wonder what it is about the guy that makes people hate him so much. Hell for my palette his sticks very rarely disappoint and after meeting and speaking with him I had whole new respect for the guy. When it comes to tobacco they guy knows his sh*t.
The original concept when these dropped was a pretty awesome one. They were released exclusively for New Havana and the concept behind it was to offer a stick that had zero information behind it and have people try it and judge it strictly on the way it smokes. There was no info on who produced it or what factory it came from, where the tobacco originated from etc. They were a hit way before the information of what it was a year or so later. I know for myself after smoking the BC and SB that I had a sneaking suspicion that it was a Pete stick but I tend to smoke more Tat product than anything else so the profile was very familiar to me. I even heard rumor that Andre Farkas called Dan at NHC complaining about the bands which I too think was a private dig back at Andre as he has stolen many an idea from Pete and had the tables turned on him with it. That's just my opinion.
Yes, the names are goofy but the sticks are pretty solid and anyone who would automatically right off a stick and not try it because of the name will miss out on a lot of great sticks especially in today's day and age in the industry as goofy names are becoming more and more commonplace. Personally when people say that I usually silently call BS and figure they are trying to put up some fake online persona.
If a stick smokes great but is named the turd burglar I would have no shame in smoking it on a regular basis. At the end of the day you don't smoke the name.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:50 AM   #23
the jiggler
¡taste my pirate paddy!

First Name: Craig
Trading: (24)
the jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
I always find it comical at how much anything pertaining to Pete brings out the hate. There are a ton of smokes from many manufacturers with dumb ass names that no one ever mentions but if it's a stick produced by Pete a thread can grow to pages of hate. I always wonder what it is about the guy that makes people hate him so much. Hell for my palette his sticks very rarely disappoint and after meeting and speaking with him I had whole new respect for the guy. When it comes to tobacco they guy knows his sh*t.
The original concept when these dropped was a pretty awesome one. They were released exclusively for New Havana and the concept behind it was to offer a stick that had zero information behind it and have people try it and judge it strictly on the way it smokes. There was no info on who produced it or what factory it came from, where the tobacco originated from etc. They were a hit way before the information of what it was a year or so later. I know for myself after smoking the BC and SB that I had a sneaking suspicion that it was a Pete stick but I tend to smoke more Tat product than anything else so the profile was very familiar to me. I even heard rumor that Andre Farkas called Dan at NHC complaining about the bands which I too think was a private dig back at Andre as he has stolen many an idea from Pete and had the tables turned on him with it. That's just my opinion.
Yes, the names are goofy but the sticks are pretty solid and anyone who would automatically right off a stick and not try it because of the name will miss out on a lot of great sticks especially in today's day and age in the industry as goofy names are becoming more and more commonplace. Personally when people say that I usually silently call BS and figure they are trying to put up some fake online persona.
If a stick smokes great but is named the turd burglar I would have no shame in smoking it on a regular basis. At the end of the day you don't smoke the name.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #24
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
I always find it comical at how much anything pertaining to Pete brings out the hate. There are a ton of smokes from many manufacturers with dumb ass names that no one ever mentions but if it's a stick produced by Pete a thread can grow to pages of hate.
For me, it has nothing to do with Pete.
A stupid name is a stupid name - no matter who makes it.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #25
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about

I might have to pick up some of these. I have heard good things.
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #26
44stampede
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brett
Trading: (21)
Cohiba
44stampede will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I had no idea who made it nor did I say I thought they sucked or wouldn't try one ever based on the name. Just think the name is stupid.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:06 AM   #27
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jarrett
Trading: (8)
HUpmann
iaMkcK will become famous soon enough

I can only find 5ers of the BC and the CB at SmokeInn... $37.50 & $40 respectively.. Any place sell for a different price, or possibly a place that sells any of the other lines? I wouldn't mind trying them. Thanks in advance!
iaMkcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:15 AM   #28
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaMkcK View Post
I can only find 5ers of the BC and the CB at SmokeInn... $37.50 & $40 respectively.. Any place sell for a different price, or possibly a place that sells any of the other lines? I wouldn't mind trying them. Thanks in advance!
http://www.newhavanacigars.com/Surro..._com_s/114.htm
Old 10-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #29
JJKJR
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
JJKJR is on a distinguished road

Prior to seeing this, I never heard of the Surrogates brand, so I decided to check out their Web Site. I don't know what the rest of you think about the pricing but I don't see much of a difference from what they are charging for their "every day" stick and what I pay for more of a premium priced cigar. Maybe I'm spoiled living close to Ybor City. I can get locally rolled every day cigars at 3-5 dollars per stick which IMHO is a true cost savings and they taste great. Now the taste/flavor of the Surrogates is a whole different subject. It seems like most here enjoy the Surrogates but I don't see much of a cost savings as advertised. My .2.
JJKJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #30
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKJR View Post
Prior to seeing this, I never heard of the Surrogates brand, so I decided to check out their Web Site. I don't know what the rest of you think about the pricing but I don't see much of a difference from what they are charging for their "every day" stick and what I pay for more of a premium priced cigar. Maybe I'm spoiled living close to Ybor City. I can get locally rolled every day cigars at 3-5 dollars per stick which IMHO is a true cost savings and they taste great. Now the taste/flavor of the Surrogates is a whole different subject. It seems like most here enjoy the Surrogates but I don't see much of a cost savings as advertised. My .2.
Compare them to prices on Tatuaje & Viajes then you will see the savings. The Skull Breaker and Bone Crusher really are IMHO vaguely similar to the Tatuaje T110 & Viaje Skull 'N Bones line when compared to strength and flavors. Price a box of Tatuaje T110 or Viaje Skull 'N Bones (if you can find them) and tell me if you still feel the same way.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #31
INT
Adjusting to the Life

INT will become famous soon enough

I've been wanting to try the skull breaker but I get mixed reviews, some stating it has a ton of pepper and others saying not so much. I'm not a big fan of a lot of pepper in my cigars, so if somone could confirm this either way it would help my purchase decisison. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #32
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by INT View Post
I've been wanting to try the skull breaker but I get mixed reviews, some stating it has a ton of pepper and others saying not so much. I'm not a big fan of a lot of pepper in my cigars, so if somone could confirm this either way it would help my purchase decisison. Thanks.
Confirmed...loads of pepper.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #33
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

I love the skull breaker and bone crushers. Great sticks regardless of the names. Pete is the man!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #34
JJKJR
Still Watching My Back

JJKJR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Compare them to prices on Tatuaje & Viajes then you will see the savings. The Skull Breaker and Bone Crusher really are IMHO vaguely similar to the Tatuaje T110 & Viaje Skull 'N Bones line when compared to strength and flavors. Price a box of Tatuaje T110 or Viaje Skull 'N Bones (if you can find them) and tell me if you still feel the same way.
I was only looking at the single cigar prices. You're right about the box price. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
JJKJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #35
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKJR View Post
I was only looking at the single cigar prices. You're right about the box price. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Works for single sticks as well...price the Tatuaje T110 & Viaje Skull 'N Bones singles versus the Surrogates..we're talking a $ 5-7 per stick differential.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #36
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

What Mac said. I love t110's but at 15 per smoke, if you can even find them, it's a no brainer.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #37
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by INT View Post
Shoot me a PM with your snailer and I will try and get a couple SB and BC out to you. I will be out of town so it will be later next week when I get them out but at least you will get to try them.
If you like a spicy heavy smoke these will be in your wheelhouse for sure.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #38
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Shoot me a PM with your snailer and I will try and get a couple SB and BC out to you. I will be out of town so it will be later next week when I get them out but at least you will get to try them.
If you like a spicy heavy smoke these will be in your wheelhouse for sure.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to neoflex agian"

Fine gesture, John.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #39
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to neoflex agian"

Fine gesture, John.
I took care of this for ya
Old 10-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #40
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I agree. It just seems to be the way of the world, Peter; doncha know that, deep down inside, we all wanna be bikers and/or SF snipers?

I will say that I tried a Bonecrusher; got about 1/4 in, definitely not my cup of tea. I gave it a shot, though.