Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 10-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #761
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Latest Pipe-Related Purchase Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Its gonna be like pulling teeth Brian. The bulldog does not have any markings or stamps. The billiard has the capitol letter "B" stamped on one side of the stem, up near the tenon. Its a capitol "B" and not "b" and is simply a stamped letter, all black impression (i.e., there is no white within the stamped line).

I've looked-up a few different references, but nothing really hits the nail on the head, and it would only be speculation at this point.

I'll shoot a micro photo of the stem and post it here tomorrow for your review...
Here's a micro shot of the stem with the letter "B" for your review. It does appear to have had some "white" laid-in the stamped "B" at one point in time.

This particular stamp does not appear to be available for review in some of the websites with "marking" references. So, the search continues...
Old 10-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #762
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Only one has the B, or both?
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #763
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Only the billiard has the "B" on the left side of the stem. No other markings on the stem or the shank.

Bulldog appears to have no markings period...
Old 10-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #764
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/lett...ne-lettre.html

Bristol or perhaps Doctor Boston? Possibly Benaderets, but that seems too bold compared to what you have.

Seems to be quite a mystery. I assume the owner had no info?
Old 10-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #765
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: James
Trading: (2)
WaRevo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/lett...ne-lettre.html

Bristol or perhaps Doctor Boston? Possibly Benaderets, but that seems too bold compared to what you have.

Seems to be quite a mystery. I assume the owner had no info?
Not a Doctor Boston. i used to have one and you can't really make it out well iin the picture but the upper curved up and the lower curved down. Look at the pictures of Marks it looks like the upper is straight and the lower curves up a little. It has all the classic markings of a (Briarcraft) Smokemaster. Even the bottom of the pipe is cut like others I have seen only thing missing is the Stamp on the Briar and across the bottom where the nice cut flat spot would normally say Aged Imported Briar. (in a nice font) The only Smokemaster I have left is a bad example seeing it is a different age and class of Marks. Mine has an Orange Funny shaped diamond on the stem because mine is from the 30's before 1939 but after 34. Only thing I can say is that from looking at the Stem and pipe it calls out a Briarcraft company. They made many pipes like Airo, Cavalcade, Smokemaster and Sterling hall. I know that Smokemaster had on some of the Pipe a B a few Airo i came across did. It was a Second pipe (Basket Pipe) between 20 and 50's seeing Briarcraft closed down in 1950.
WaRevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #766
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Its a mystery to me for the time being. As James mentioned, the billiard is missing the stamp on the bottom and either side of the shank. A definite mystery pipe for the time being
Old 10-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #767
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Its a mystery to me for the time being. As James mentioned, the billiard is missing the stamp on the bottom and either side of the shank. A definite mystery pipe for the time being
Have you smoked it?
Old 10-16-2014, 02:52 PM   #768
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Nope. Gonna sell the billiard and bulldog once they have been cleaned, reamed, and polished. They've finished their salt/alcohol phase. The billiards tobacco chamber was reamed this morning, and I'm currently working on cleaning its draft hole and mortise on the shank. Alot of gunk in the mortise. Obviously, the prior owner(s) did not perform a regular maintenance in between smokes
Old 10-16-2014, 10:31 PM   #769
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
It is called PAD (Pipe Acquisition Disorder). Scratching the itch caused by it can also cause one to fall into an equally disabling TAD (Tobacco Acquisition Disorder).

Be careful.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
I've been dealing with SAD (Stogie Acquisition Disorder) for a while, too.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:01 PM   #770
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I did it again. This one shows up tomorrow:

The Capri with the pinched stem had a slight right-hand bend to the stem so I'm sending it back. The one above is its replacement/up-grade. The funny thing is, the wife isn't sweating the expenditures. Gee, I wonder what the hell she's been buying.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:20 PM   #771
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
I did it again. This one shows up tomorrow:

The Capri with the pinched stem had a slight right-hand bend to the stem so I'm sending it back. The one above is its replacement/up-grade. The funny thing is, the wife isn't sweating the expenditures. Gee, I wonder what the hell she's been buying.
Nice looking pipe!
Old 10-17-2014, 11:43 PM   #772
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahtofire14 View Post
Nice looking pipe!
Thanks! I seem to be hooked on Chacom. This'll be three in as many weeks.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:22 AM   #773
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Darren, sharp looking pipe.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #774
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Nice looking pipe Darren. Really love the stem on that one. Your wife? Better check under the bed or her closet
Old 10-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #775
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

That's flashy, Darren. I like the contrast. Interested in a chacom bent bulldog? The stem has some issues and could use a repair, but it smokes. I was quoted $18 to drill it out.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:35 PM   #776
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
That's flashy, Darren. I like the contrast. Interested in a chacom bent bulldog? The stem has some issues and could use a repair, but it smokes. I was quoted $18 to drill it out.
It's funny you should ask...P&C sent me the wrong pipe; they sent a brown bent bulldog instead of the one I ordered, fugliest thing I ever saw. I'm sending it back. It's the second time this week I've had to do that. Not happy.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #777
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: James
Trading: (2)
WaRevo is on a distinguished road

Ouch 2 pipes needed to be sent back. I guess QC after the ownership change don't seem as good as things were before CI took them over.
WaRevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:10 PM   #778
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaRevo View Post
Ouch 2 pipes needed to be sent back. I guess QC after the ownership change don't seem as good as things were before CI took them over.
Ah! That explains a lot. Needless to say, I'm a little irritated. It has become the foundation of a truly crappy day. Not any kind of Earth shattering crappy, just the kind that makes me wanna break stuff.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:00 AM   #779
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Quote:
Ah! That explains a lot. Needless to say, I'm a little irritated. It has become the foundation of a truly crappy day. Not any kind of Earth shattering crappy, just the kind that makes me wanna break stuff.
Sorry, Darren. At least they made it right. The Peterson I got with the high draft hole came from them too.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:09 AM   #780
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Quote:
Sorry, Darren. At least they made it right. The Peterson I got with the high draft hole came from them too.
They haven't made it right quite yet. We'll see. How did it turn out with your Peterson?