Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Reviews

Old 09-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road
Default GH&Co Dark Flake (unscented)

G&H Dark Flake (unscented):

well, on another pipe forum, someone was talking about this stuff, but the "scented" version, whatever that is, as i've never heard of either (now i have, and it's great as well). i'm trying to do some research, and it looks like this is a bulk blend by GH&Co that has that "lakeland" smell to it... it didn't have any topping/casing that i could tell though.

anyway, a member and i exchanged PMs and he sent me a few flakes to try...

okay, now, you know that SG and/or GH&Co makes some seriously strong chit. Bracken flake can knock you down a notch, as will 1792 and their ropes. well, i packed a large bowled Sasieni on my way back to lunch...
got there, sat in the parking lot and didn't want to move at about the halfway point.

a few notes.
1. this is damn good, especially if you like SG/GH&Co flakes.
2. this is damn strong.
3. i had a very hard time keeping it lit for longer than 2 minutes at a time.
4. newbies ask, "hey, what pipe tobacco tastes most like a cuban cigar to you?" well, i think i've found it. i have never had a pipe tobacco taste like a cigar at all (never had the robusto or maduro or whatever cow), and i was not looking for it to taste like a cigar, yet there i was comparing it to a young cuban cigar that would burn through the nose. didn't have the "cuban twang", but it had some "twang" and the smoothness and smokie-ness of the flavors reminded me of a cigar.
5. after work, i smoked less than the last half of the bowl, and the nicotine level still affected me on the drive home.

so, very hard to keep lit, very strong, very good, closest (and only) pipe tobacco i've had that made me even think it tasted like a cigar.

since i wrote this review a while back, it's one of my favorites and is not that hard to keep lit, was more operator error than anything.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: GH&Co Dark Flake (unscented)

Thanks for the review! I'll need to find me some!
Old 10-31-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
drob
Superbowl XLIV Champs!

Trading: (8)
AirForce (Retired)
drob is on a distinguished road

I had a bowl of this a few days ago, and it was a real pain in the ass. I let it dry seven hours before trying to smoke it, and put it down after 5 or 6 trys of trying to keep it lit. Went back to it the next evening (about 22 hrs), and it still wouldn't stay lit. Same thing the next morning. By this time I had gotten thru half the bowl.

I really did like the flavor, tho. Next time, maybe I'll try it in another pipe.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Curly Cut
Not Scary

doyle, Dan just sent me a nice chunk of this stuff. i had been missing it dearly. at a recent herf, a buddy had some and i had a huge grin on my face as i smoked... had you been there, you would've seen it.

can't wait to fire up a bowl of this again.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob View Post
I had a bowl of this a few days ago, and it was a real pain in the ass... I really did like the flavor, tho. Next time, maybe I'll try it in another pipe.
My method was breaking the stuff into smallish, chunky fragments by bending/breaking with fingertips (it wouldn't rub) and dropping it into the pipe. I topped the shards with a small amount of maximum crumbled flake. It was slow to an initial light (a match was better than a Zippo) but it took well and quickly softened for easy compression.

Never smoked anything else with a hard-to-soft texture like this.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
Curly Cut
Not Scary

i just smoked a bowl tonight, matter of fact.
i grabbed 2 flakes, tore them in half, then tore one of the halves in half again. stacked them up, rubbed them out easily into a cup and let them dry for about 30 minutes.
went out back and lit 'er up. amazing. i missed this stuff. smoked half a bowl in a basket zulu...
Old 11-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
wrench turner 85
I'm the Ocho Cinco!

Trading: (0)
Partagas
wrench turner 85 is on a distinguished road

I might have to give this a try. nice review