Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
ajacobs

Default Artistry in Titanium Cigar Punch

There is something to be said about owning the best of something of its class. A special type of enjoyment and pride of ownership. Now admittedly the best is subjective to the Individual but to me there is no doubt that this is the best cigar punch I have had the pleasure of owning.

Tom Anderson is a very skilled machinist who turns out a variety of gadgets. He is well known in the custom knife community. Previously he has released a single cigar tube out of titanium tube stock with machined ends including a tritium tube. Recently he has released this cigar punch.

Tom's Specs are:

Body: Machined from solid ø5/8” 6AL4V titanium

Cap: Machined from solid ø5/8” 6AL4V titanium, 1.00” long

Plunger: Machined from solid ø 1/4” 6AL4V titanium

Seals: Three AS568A-010 Neoprene® O-Rings

Cutter Head: ø1/4” I.D., Stainless Steel

Plunger Screw: Stainless Steel flat Torx® head

Split Ring: Heavy Duty Stainless Steel

Overall Length: 2 5/8” (not counting the split ring)

Weight: 1.6 oz.

What I can say is the overall style, build quality, finish, and function are without flaw. Not to mention that he is always a pleasure to deal with.

This punch has a plunger that stays retracted under spring tension that is operated by the key ring end that cleans it out. It appeals to the gadget lover in me.

I put up a quick youtube video also.

I don't have any connection with Tom other than as an admirer of his work.

Last edited by ajacobs; 01-07-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Artistry in Titanium Cigar Punch

You can find more info here: https://artistryintitanium.com/Ti_Cigar_Punch.php.

The punches retail for $185. A little out of my price range, but it does seem like a really nice punch.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Wow I was looking at the pictures thinking I "need" that, then saw post #2 and thought I do not "need" that.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
ajacobs

He makes a nice little pipe tamp and cigar tube also.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
kickerb

Very nice indeed, but certainly out of my price range.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

I think there might be a little bit of a mark up on that
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscmit View Post
Just a little. The problem for me is it will dull like any other punch. Something tells me it wouldn't be like Xikar warranty either

Send it in and get a new one
Old 08-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #8
ajacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscmit View Post
I guess everything is relative. Don't you find it hard to explain to people that you basically burn 10 dollar bills with nothing but memories to show for it?

I guess you have to be aware of what goes on in a small machine shop. He has significant time in making these one by one on a lathe. He bills his shop time at $40 bucks an hours. Included in that is not only his pay, insurance, etc but things like electricity, filters for the respirator, wear on really expensive cutting tools etc. Also you have to put away money for things like property taxes, major tool replacement, any any sort of retirement. Plus you have the losses if you make any kind of error and from developing the prototype. Then he adds the cost of materials and shipping. These of course are the realities though of any small volume, high quality production business. Your right though 185 bucks is too steep for many people but if there is a lot a mark up is questionable. Kind of like saying there is a lot of mark up on some of the custom humidors we see here. Both have low raw material costs but are labor intensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
The problem for me is it will dull like any other punch. Something tells me it wouldn't be like Xikar warranty either

Send it in and get a new one
Guaranteed until he retires from making tools. The cutting head is stainless steel and user replaceable.

Last edited by ajacobs; 08-18-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajacobs View Post

Guaranteed until he retires from making tools. The cutting head is stainless steel and user replaceable.
That is a cool feature actually!
And yes if money was no object for me I would have some of his items, they look very well crafted.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

That's so nice, it might make me like punches!
Old 08-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

Christmas list item. I will post the list for you guys to choose from closer to the date.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #12
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Beautiful workmanship, just out of my price range.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I once had the Xikar Mammoth Bone cutter, and it gave me that same "special type of joy and pride of ownership". Eventually I thought it was time for someone else to enjoy it and I sold it here. I had bought it very well so I was able to sell it very well, which put it in reach of someone else who may have loved it from afar as long as I did.
This punch doesn't raise that kind of excitement, but I totally get where you're coming from.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #14
Tbagley
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
Tbagley is on a distinguished road

Anything custom is going cost...
Tbagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #15
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajacobs View Post
I guess everything is relative. Don't you find it hard to explain to people that you basically burn 10 dollar bills with nothing but memories to show for it?

I guess you have to be aware of what goes on in a small machine shop. He has significant time in making these one by one on a lathe. He bills his shop time at $40 bucks an hours. Included in that is not only his pay, insurance, etc but things like electricity, filters for the respirator, wear on really expensive cutting tools etc. Also you have to put away money for things like property taxes, major tool replacement, any any sort of retirement. Plus you have the losses if you make any kind of error and from developing the prototype. Then he adds the cost of materials and shipping. These of course are the realities though of any small volume, high quality production business. Your right though 185 bucks is too steep for many people but if there is a lot a mark up is questionable. Kind of like saying there is a lot of mark up on some of the custom humidors we see here. Both have low raw material costs but are labor intensive.

fair enough, I was just surprised by the price tag, not hating on the product. I understand the pride in owing something you find special, and wish you many years of enjoyment in you new punch.
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote