Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #1
KSRCigar
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
KSRCigar is on a distinguished road
Default Plug in Humidor that Works

Hi all... I've used cigar oases, beads, floral foam, to no avail. Is there a plug in humidor that just works, period. Maybe adding water at relatively long-term intervals? Oh, that is not $2000+ in price? I have not seen anything on the market.
KSRCigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
Zane
Have My Own Room

First Name: Zane
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Zane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura aboutZane has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Plug in Humidor that Works

Welcome! If you could describe your setup we might be able to give you some good advice. What kind of humidor you have and size?

COO BlindMan's Puff
Zane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #3
KSRCigar
Just in from the Storm

KSRCigar is on a distinguished road

I had cigar oasis in a 6 drawer & glass top Trinidad branded humidor (think it was a all inclusive bundle with Trinidad cigars all sizes). Looked like my retailer took the cigars to sell and then sold the humidor as a side-item. Had a cigar oasis which began to smell like mildew after about 1 month. Also, it overhumidified the cigars near the unit if set high enough to humidify the far reaches of the humidor. And vice-versa with underhumidifying the far reaches if set to humidify properly near the unit. I then switched over to the gel-polymer beads with 2 wet sponges. Did not do too terribly, but needed frequent refilling and had the same over-under based on vicinity. I am working on developing a plug & play system that is foolproof. But want to see if there is a market for it. I'm certain nothing exists that doesn't use a sophisticated system of sensors and is quite pricey.
KSRCigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #4
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRCigar View Post
I had cigar oasis in a 6 drawer & glass top Trinidad branded humidor (think it was a all inclusive bundle with Trinidad cigars all sizes). Looked like my retailer took the cigars to sell and then sold the humidor as a side-item. Had a cigar oasis which began to smell like mildew after about 1 month. Also, it overhumidified the cigars near the unit if set high enough to humidify the far reaches of the humidor. And vice-versa with underhumidifying the far reaches if set to humidify properly near the unit. I then switched over to the gel-polymer beads with 2 wet sponges. Did not do too terribly, but needed frequent refilling and had the same over-under based on vicinity. I am working on developing a plug & play system that is foolproof. But want to see if there is a market for it. I'm certain nothing exists that doesn't use a sophisticated system of sensors and is quite pricey.
Many folks use a small muffin style fan to keep air circulating around. A lot of use use the dry style beads or Boveda packets rather than the gel. That's largely a decision based on the % RH you want. But first, you need to make sure your box is reasonably airtight.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Hard to tell the size based on your description, but it sounds like the oasis would be way too much humidification and could lead to mold, especially if there isn't enough room for the humidified air to spread out

I've shared my secret before, it's worked perfectly for me for many years now in both my cooler and my vino - use twice as many beads as are required and spray the inside of the door/lid whenever it feels like I haven't done it in a while. By doing this I've thrown away all hygrometers and never have humidity issues. It might not work for everybody, but it works perfectly for me and I won't be changing unless I get a humidor big enough to warrant an active system
Old 03-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

I have a foolproof solution: HCM beads and a humidor that doesn't leak.

If you lost that much water from the polymer beads, which aren't actually beads, they are a gel, that fast, then your humidor is about as airtight as a patio screen door.

---
Edit: I just re-read the thread title, "Plug in Humidor that Works". Yes, precisely. It's your humidor that isn't working right.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:16 PM   #7
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

A Colman cooler and 2 lbs of Heartfelt beads. Rock solid 65% RH and nearly maintenance free.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #8
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

My first two questions, did you use distilled water in the all of your different humidification fails and along the other Adams line of thought, did you seal around the glass with some food safe silicone?
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:32 PM   #9
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
My first two questions, did you use distilled water in the all of your different humidification fails and along the other Adams line of thought, did you seal around the glass with some food safe silicone?
Don't forget sealing all 6 of the drawers. Typically, exposed drawers leak heavily.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:34 AM   #10
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Don't forget sealing all 6 of the drawers. Typically, exposed drawers leak heavily.
I'm thinking duct tape for those.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:48 AM   #11
Greentud
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Michael
VR
Greentud is on a distinguished road

Did you season the humidor before use?
Greentud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:55 AM   #12
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
I'm thinking duct tape for those.
I'm thinking liquid nails.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:32 AM   #13
SteveH
You lookin at me ?

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
HUpmann
SteveH is on a distinguished road

Understand your frustration. Right now I'm trying the Avallo Accumonitor, with the additional fan timer.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:58 PM   #14
goatfarmer
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Dave
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
goatfarmer is on a distinguished road

As a beginner I used beads, a variety of storage container, 2 desk top humidors, and vinotemp cooler, in my case, acquired a collection of precious cigars and found it too labor intensive trying to maintain an ideal environment. Over 35 years ago decided to take the plunge down the infamous slippery sloop and spent $1800 for an end table humidor 'Reliant' from a manufacturer who still remains in business. They do offer a less expensive version 'Sentinel' for around $1200, I am not familiar with this style, nor have I read any of the customer reviews, whether the features are similar/same as the 'Reliant' I do not know?

IMO, best purchase I have ever made, as hassle free as it gets, control panel to adjust desired humidity level, red light comes on to let me know it's time to add distilled water, that is it. The manufacturer recommends changing the $15 filter and 'bactirastatat solution' $15, every 6 months, I probably get around to it once per year, if that. Anyhow, for what it's worth decided to add my $.02.