Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 05-04-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough
Default Oven Ribs?

A few months ago my wife and I had some ribs in a small restaurant that were incredible. I asked the guy about his smoker and he told me that he does them overnight in the oven. Said they're in there for 8 or more hours. Unfortunately, he was a little protective about the details.

I don't have a smoker and don't really enjoy doing them on the grill, so I thought this was a great option. So far, internet searches haven't been all that helpful.

Anyone here sloooowww cook their ribs in the oven? Suggestions on temp/time, rubs?

And, no, I'm not going to get a smoker....and I CAN do them on the grill...just not going to anytime soon.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #2
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Oven Ribs?

I have a great recipe for oven ribs...

BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:48 AM   #3
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I have not (yet) cooked ribs in a slow oven but I have done a brisket -- 8 hours at 185 degrees. It came out pretty good, so I imagine ribs would do fine too. I just use a dry rub on the brisket, so there is no smoky flavor.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:17 AM   #4
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I like the Harlan's Ribs recipe. I would change a couple of things, tho (they who know me are not surprised).

I'd put the dry rub on at least 4-6 hours in advance. Overnight would be best. Also, I would add some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. I think that I'd blend up the adobo and brush it on to the ribs before putting on the dry rub. Letting it all sit will let both the spicy and the sweet do their thing.

The smoked paprika may be smokey enough by itself if you are using a high quality, fresh product like from Penzy's, https://www.penzeys.com/online-catal...24/p-1159/pd-s

Personally, I'd find some pear nectar (or crush up some to make your own) in place of the apple sauce, but I like my ribs a little sweeter.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

For sure you could do them in the oven at 225-250 like a smoker; will take just as long.

Markem's advice on teh chipotle peppers in adobo sauce will give them a little smoky flavor. Those canned peppers are good to have for a lot of different things.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:44 AM   #6
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

Dave, take a look at this recipe, from a great site.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porkn...door_ribs.html
Old 05-04-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Rub 'em. Wrap 'em in a double layer of foil. In the oven at 300 for 2.5 hours. Take 'em out and carefully - very carefully - open the foil. Put 'em under the broiler on high for about five minutes each side to get a touch of crispness on the outside. Sauce 'em, then back under the broiler for a couple minutes each side.

That's my folk's recipe for doing ribs during the winter in Indiana. It comes out very moist, tender, and tasty. If they plan ahead they cook them, unwrap them, and let them cool. Then they wrap them up and put them in the fridge overnight. Take them out the next day, let sit on the counter for about 45 minutes to an hour, then to the broiler.

EDIT: This is for baby backs. If you're doing spare or St. Louis, add an hour to an hour and a half to the cooking time. Oh, and if you want to, instead of using the broiler just throw them on the grill for about ten minutes each side, then sauce them.

Last edited by Porch Dweller; 05-04-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Porch Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:20 PM   #8
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Thanks, guys. I'll let you know how they turn out. I'd seen plenty of recipes calling for 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours...anywhere from 275 to 325....I just didn't think that'd be long enough.
I like the idea of going down to 225 and adding an hour or two. But....I suppose that's silly since I haven't tried it yet.

When I was a kid...some 40+ years ago, my mom used to cook them under the broiler for about 15-20 minutes per side. Was my first introduction to jerky
Old 05-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Thanks, guys. I'll let you know how they turn out. I'd seen plenty of recipes calling for 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours...anywhere from 275 to 325....I just didn't think that'd be long enough.
I like the idea of going down to 225 and adding an hour or two. But....I suppose that's silly since I haven't tried it yet.
I'd not go lower than 250, but 250 is going to take some time. Probably like 5-6 hours for spare ribs?
Old 05-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #10
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

The basic cooking instructions for the Harlan's Ribs are pretty spot on. Time and temp are a matter of preference.

I learned years ago (watching Emeril) to marinate the ribs first (your choice of marinade), then season them (whatever you like - I use McCormick's Smoky Mesquite Seasoning), then wrap them in Saran plastic and THEN into tin foil. (Weird, you think the plastic will melt, but it doesn't!) Bake at 350 for 90 minutes, and turn off oven WITHOUT OPENING THE DOOR. Leave them there for 3-4 more hours. So you can do this in the morning before a cookout, and then just enjoy the time with your guests/family all day. Pull the ribs out when its time, throw them on the grill or under the broiler for 5 minutes to warm back up and baste with your favorite sauce. Meat falls off the bone!
Old 05-04-2015, 02:00 PM   #11
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I used to slow cook them on a grill, then after a couple layers of sauce I would put them in the oven and bake them in more sauce, for those I did a honey bbq sauce, they were sweet and tangy and fall off the bone tender.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:21 PM   #12
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough

With that Harlan's recipe they fell apart and were super tender.
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #13
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

I'll go smoker to oven all the time. If the smoker isn't keeping even temps for some reason or I want to finish them at slightly higher temp and not use more charcoal. After 2-3 hour smoke, they'll be plenty smoky come serving time.

This method is more used this brisket where the additional smoke is not needed; oven come wrapping time. Once something is wrapped, why bother with the smoker?
Old 05-22-2015, 08:11 AM   #14
samnuts
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
samnuts is on a distinguished road

8 hours is long, gotta be a full rack for that. 4-5 hours low heat should do it.
samnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #15
samnuts
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
samnuts is on a distinguished road

and foil.
samnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #16
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

First Name: Matt
Trading: (21)
mhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura about

I have done ribs in a pressure cooker (45 min) and then transfer to the broiler to glaze the sauce on to them. I just used the Costco pre-rubbed ribs, put about a cup of beer in the pressure cooker for the liquid, once at pressure I cook for about 45 min. Let the pressure come down naturally, and fire up the broiler. brush the sauce onto the ribs and throw them under the broiler until the desired color and glaze is reached. Easy peazy Japaneezee My daughter loves them.