Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #81
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Gardeners in the Asylum

Any of you guys grow any herbs? I want to grow some basil and maybe some rosemary. Looking for some tips
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #82
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Full sun 6-8 hours, good drainage, just plant and enjoy.

Rosemary is a perennial. Plant it somewhere it can grow big, as it will with care.

http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult/herbs/ne208hrb.htm

http://www.savvygardener.com/Features/herbs.html
Old 04-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #83
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Jamie is right on the ball, Chip. I've grown my herbs where nothing else will grow because the drainage was so poor. They didn't care.
Take that with a grain of salt, though. Some herbaceous material can tolerate just about anything, others need good husbandry. I can think of a lot that can grow in a mud puddle, though.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #84
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I got Lisa's flower bed planted full of wildflowers a couple weeks ago and they're all coming up great. It should be quite a display once I work in the osteospermum and impatiens and cosmos and tobacco and whatever else we started downstairs. It'll look like a unicorn threw up a rainbow. I usually don't like that kind of thing, but I'm looking forward to it
Our plants in the plant starting stand are in dire need of transplanting. I have the flats full of dirt and ready for transplanting, I just need to drag the woman down there and get it done.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #85
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I have the flats full of dirt and ready for transplanting, I just need to drag the woman down there and get it done.
Good luck with that.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #86
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

I had to break out sprinklers today for first time. All that early rain I had last year is MIA this year (so far).

Old 04-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #87
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

Third night in a row it's down to 22 here, and everything has started growing already. Christmas tree lights and trash bags over the Peonies, some of which already have buds. Hopefully everything else will be hardy enough. A few daffodils might not be too lucky.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #88
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Any of you guys grow any herbs? I want to grow some basil and maybe some rosemary. Looking for some tips
We bought one of those half whiskey barrels and planted them in there. Partial sun. Did well.

DO NOT plant cilantro with them. It will take over quick.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #89
BC-Axeman

We used to have cilantro come up yearly but it has been MIA since I went to boxes. Fresh parsley is garden candy.
I have to get a picture of my raspberries. It was one little plant last year and now it's a whole 4x6 box.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #90
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC

Nope, I didn't plant it. And nope, I can't be around it. The bane of us highly sensitive gardeners. Poison Ivy. This sh$t has pestered me since I can remember being on this planet. I'm weed eating Saturday under a large palmetto with leaves drooped to the ground, just slinging weed debris everywhere. Then I see it...two feet high growing next to the trunk, so I backed out. Didn't want any part of it. I figured I'd spray it on the next lap around the property with Round Up. By yesterday afternoon, I have several patches coming to life, with a big patch under my bicep on my right arm. That means I have about another week of "guess where the next patch comes out." I truly despise this plant, above all others, in the flora kingdom. To boot, it's under my watch band.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #91
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post

Nope, I didn't plant it. And nope, I can't be around it. The bane of us highly sensitive gardeners. Poison Ivy. This sh$t has pestered me since I can remember being on this planet. I'm weed eating Saturday under a large palmetto with leaves drooped to the ground, just slinging weed debris everywhere. Then I see it...two feet high growing next to the trunk, so I backed out. Didn't want any part of it. I figured I'd spray it on the next lap around the property with Round Up. By yesterday afternoon, I have several patches coming to life, with a big patch under my bicep on my right arm. That means I have about another week of "guess where the next patch comes out." I truly despise this plant, above all others, in the flora kingdom. To boot, it's under my watch band.
Before I moved to PA, I had never really seen any poison. I was weed wacking once with shorts on and I must have really done a number on some poison, my legs prolly got sprayed with the juice as I chopped them. Felt like I was gonna loose my legs. It was soo gross after a day or two.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #92
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I've not worn shorts yet this summer and yet I have a large patch on the back of my thigh already. The stuff is the bane of my summer existence. I have to think April is the earliest I've gotten it though...
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #93
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:

Definitely sounds like you need a good day of Round-up spraying! I read somewhere that they now have a vaccine for Poison Oak/Ivy. Have you tried that?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #94
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC

Cliff, I was reading about that. It still seems pretty new. Most write ups were from early April of this year. If it's real, I say give the inventor his billion and early retirement. I'll line up for the crazy kool aid. I was reading were people self-vaccinate by eating young leaves. Are the f'in crazy?? It would surely kill me. Also read where Round Up is only moderately effective. Thinking about painting the 36% concentrate on the leaves with a brush. I found several patches of it this afternoon when I got home.
I've swabbed down with vinegar twice since supper. It works a little better than nothing. There's also a new spot on my knee and on my ankle. I have some prescription triamcinolone from a few years ago and it slows down the itch. Hopefully I can stay on top of it and keep it manageable.
Eat it, my azz!!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:32 PM   #95
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Cliff, I was reading about that. It still seems pretty new. Most write ups were from early April of this year. If it's real, I say give the inventor his billion and early retirement. I'll line up for the crazy kool aid. I was reading were people self-vaccinate by eating young leaves. Are the f'in crazy?? It would surely kill me. Also read where Round Up is only moderately effective. Thinking about painting the 36% concentrate on the leaves with a brush. I found several patches of it this afternoon when I got home.
I've swabbed down with vinegar twice since supper. It works a little better than nothing. There's also a new spot on my knee and on my ankle. I have some prescription triamcinolone from a few years ago and it slows down the itch. Hopefully I can stay on top of it and keep it manageable.
Eat it, my azz!!
I know personally that you can get immunity from it! My immunity (98%) comes from rolling around in a patch while fighting when I was in the 6th grade. I had it so bad I was outta school for a week and half, and had to take baths in medicine every night! After that episode, I (apparently) developed immunity. For 30 years, I could rub it all over me, and never get a bump. Now, I get into it, I get one or two bumps in one or two places. Maybe every 5 years, I get twice that much. Since immunity is apparently possible naturally, I have to assume it works on the vaccine. Everything I've seen indicates it works for most people! Maybe it would work for you. However, if I was you, and had your level of allergy to it, I'd be leery of any vaccine without strong research!!! Hope you get over your current bout quickly!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #96
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
I know personally that you can get immunity from it! My immunity (98%) comes from rolling around in a patch while fighting when I was in the 6th grade. I had it so bad I was outta school for a week and half, and had to take baths in medicine every night! After that episode, I (apparently) developed immunity. For 30 years, I could rub it all over me, and never get a bump. Now, I get into it, I get one or two bumps in one or two places. Maybe every 5 years, I get twice that much. Since immunity is apparently possible naturally, I have to assume it works on the vaccine. Everything I've seen indicates it works for most people! Maybe it would work for you. However, if I was you, and had your level of allergy to it, I'd be leery of any vaccine without strong research!!! Hope you get over your current bout quickly!
Some people get MORE sensitive with each exposure.
I'm like you, I pick it by hand. As long as I wash up well after and I'm careful where I touch.
Bleach was what I used on the rash when I got it. Benadryl internally and cortisone topically works great. I think there is a cream ointment of those two drugs. Cortadryl or Bensidrone or something.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #97
Pseudosacred
What will your verse be?

First Name: Nick
Trading: (1)
Pseudosacred is on a distinguished road

Fortunately, I'm completely immune to it. 2 years ago when we were camping, I figured I would test it. I rubbed the leaves all over my arms, even mushing it up and getting the juice on me. Nothing.

I'm pretty fortunate, I guess. Some people get crazy breakouts
Pseudosacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #98
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudosacred View Post
Fortunately, I'm completely immune to it. 2 years ago when we were camping, I figured I would test it. I rubbed the leaves all over my arms, even mushing it up and getting the juice on me. Nothing.

I'm pretty fortunate, I guess. Some people get crazy breakouts
No doubt about that. My dad could get 20 feet away and get the rash! Most of my brothers and sisters are somewhere between him and me.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #99
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

ok, so how well do herbs tolerate the heat? It gets hot here will be 90+ for the next 3 or 4 months. Not really a way to get full sunlight inside.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #100
BC-Axeman

Rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage and a bunch others are from hot climates.
Basil will bolt, bloom and die back, but you can keep it pinched.
Most love the heat.