Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 04-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Smokers, hot/cold, infused tobacco?

Considering that taste and odor are the 2 main factors in enjoying food, and cigars, has anyone experimented with flavoring a smoked meat with cigar tobacco in their hot or cold smoker? I have heard of "tobacco tea" Not a good experiment, as I recall, other than as a pesticide... but it might be an interesting experiment with someone who has the equipment and a variety of woods to combine with a tobacco to see if this might be a new and innovative way to smoke foods. For all I know, without doing research... this could be an "old" innovative idea and I just rebooted it through boredom.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
Kwilkinson

Default Re: Smokers, hot/cold, infused tobacco?

Grant Achatz had a dish ath amazing restaurant Alinea where he infused tobacco flavor into cream and serving it with blackberry and salt.
Kind of off topic, but it was an interesting dish that got a lot of wows.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

Be very careful not to eat tobacco guys. Infusing the flavor I guess is OK, digested it is actually poisonous to humans.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:31 AM   #4
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I can't imagine even cold smoking food with tobacco; would end up tasting like an ash tray.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:06 AM   #5
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I can't imagine even cold smoking food with tobacco; would end up tasting like an ash tray.
Like it does in your mouth?
Old 04-28-2009, 06:19 AM   #6
leasingthisspace

I remeber watching a show with Anthony Boudian (sp) in it where they ate at a place in Napa called the laundry room maybe. The chef there made him marlboro infused dessert. Not sure how he did it but I know it was done. Anthony seemed to like it. I think the chef put it through a expresso machine or something like that.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
LooseCard
not wrapped too tight....

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
RyJ
LooseCard will become famous soon enough

As much as I love cigars, and to smoke meat, I would never even try to do this.

The flavor of the cigar is changed when burning. You certainly cannot say that licking the cigar and smoking the cigar, provides identical tastes..?

The best is to find a cigar that compliments the smoked food that you are having. The flavors are dependant on the meat you use, along with the wood that you choose to smoke with. It also has to balance against the sauces and/or the rubs that are used.

I'd just hate to ruin good 'smoked meat' on bad flavors........
Old 04-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseCard View Post
As much as I love cigars, and to smoke meat, I would never even try to do this.

The flavor of the cigar is changed when burning. You certainly cannot say that licking the cigar and smoking the cigar, provides identical tastes..?

The best is to find a cigar that compliments the smoked food that you are having. The flavors are dependant on the meat you use, along with the wood that you choose to smoke with. It also has to balance against the sauces and/or the rubs that are used.

I'd just hate to ruin good 'smoked meat' on bad flavors........
The same could be said for using wood chips, or many other items used to flavor food.... successfully. I fully understand the epicurean principles with pairing and contrasting food. Since pairing a cigar with food is quite possible, the opportunity of finding a new technique to flavor a dish shouldn't be ignored simply because trial of one or many methods haven't obtained the desired result.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
Kwilkinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Since pairing a cigar with food is quite possible, the opportunity of finding a new technique to flavor a dish shouldn't be ignored simply because trial of one or many methods haven't obtained the desired result.
I agree with you entirely. But it seems only the top end chefs that dabble a bit with molecular gastronomy like Keller and Achatz are experimenting with this, but they aren't smoking, they're just infusing the flavor.

Has food been smoked using tobacco before? I'm sure it has. I just don't know of any recipes or anything like that. My chef instructors at culinary school also had not heard of it, but two of them seemed to think it'd be a good idea worth exploring. I think it would be fun to experiment with using wet tobacco instead of wood chips, for either hot or cold smoking.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
livwire68
Las Vegas Herf Crew

Trading: (7)
SLR
livwire68 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigloo View Post
Be very careful not to eat tobacco guys. Infusing the flavor I guess is OK, digested it is actually poisonous to humans.
HUH! Thats funny I ingest it daily, the nature of chewing tobacco. Actually its the nicotine that is poisonous to people if exposed to more than most will ever see.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

thank you.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Like it does in your mouth?
Yup, just like my girlfriend would say.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #13
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Yup, just like my girlfriend would say.
Well, sometimes... there is no accounting for taste, all ego and "knowledge" aside. One upmanship is annoying, to say the least.