Old 10-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #81
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Rangers VS Tigers

For the record, Porcello only gave up 2, Jason.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #82
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
For the record, Porcello only gave up 2, Jason.
I stand corrected. My faux pas.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:52 PM   #83
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonw560 View Post
I stand corrected. My faux pas.
It's OK, the other guys gave up 13.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 10-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #84
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's OK, the other guys gave up 13.
Still a great series.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #85
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonw560 View Post
Still a great series.
Definitely gave me my most baseball enjoyment since 2006. Tigers have their top four starters locked up for a few years, so I am hoping for more October baseball next year.

Good luck in the Series.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #86
RRocket
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (10)
RRocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Regardless of Leyland's managing, the team (pitchers and defense) gave up 15 runs, so I think there is plenty of blame to go around.
Jackson, Avila, and others left their bats in the regular season, and the pitching didn't live up to the regular season either, with the exception of Fister. Don't make Leyland the scapegoat for a team failure.
It's Leyland's job to keep the game close with good management. Had he pulled Max early, the long relief could have started throwing with a LEAD instead of being behind and with the bases loaded. That's a HUGE difference, and is precisely what led to a 9 run 3rd inning.

Sure, not all the bats showed up (they still scored 5), but that's precisely why Leyland can't let the game get out of control.

Leyland blew it and in the process let a game that could have been close turn into a embarrassment.
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:03 PM   #87
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRocket View Post
It's Leyland's job to keep the game close with good management. Had he pulled Max early, the long relief could have started throwing with a LEAD instead of being behind and with the bases loaded. That's a HUGE difference, and is precisely what led to a 9 run 3rd inning. Sure, not all the bats showed up (they still scored 5), but that's precisely why Leyland can't let the game get out of control.

Leyland blew it and in the process let a game that could have been close turn into a embarrassment.
No, all the Ranger hits turned it into a 9 run inning.

We can agree to disagree, because I think more than managerial mistakes cost the Tigers the game.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #88
RRocket
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (10)
RRocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No, all the Ranger hits turned it into a 9 run inning.
Because a struggling pitcher was left in too long and a huge mess was left for the relief pitchers. That's the manager's doing. This was a "do or die" game and it was not managed that way.
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #89
themoneycollector
Nicotiana Tabacum

Trading: (108)
Bolivar
themoneycollector has disabled reputation

They are still a young team, and everyone was surprised with the Tigers this year. Great series though. Go Rangers!
themoneycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:21 AM   #90
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

The Rangers looked good.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:13 AM   #91
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Congats to the Rangers.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #92
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Because a struggling pitcher was left in too long and a huge mess was left for the relief pitchers. That's the manager's doing. This was a "do or die" game and it was not managed that way.
It is definitely not fair to blame this all on Leyland. Scherzer pitched two shut out innings before the terrible 3rd inning. Did you want to pull him after 2 runs scored that tied the game? You have to give your pitcher a chance to work through it especially when you don't have the luxury of a bullpen that can go 6 innings.

Quote:
I was hollering for him to be pulled in the 2nd and bring Porcello in. Remember, this is the season on the line here and not a time to hope that Max would somehow, someway figure it out and turn it around. As usual, there was no sense of urgency from Leyland at all. It's a fatal Leyland flaw that he's way too generous and way too loyal to certain players.

Leyland blew this game. His questionable pitching decisions not only took them out of the game, but allowed the Tigers to be embarrassed.
In the 2nd Scherzer struck out the first batter, next batter grounded out, Nelson Cruz doubled, walked David Murphy, then Chavez grounded a ball that led to a fielders choice out to end the inning. You think because of that sequence he should have been taken out? If you were the manager and you're taking out a pitcher in the 2nd with a lead you are going to lose the confidence of your players. Porcello didn't really have it either, he also walked a batter and only got ahead in the count against one player (Andrus).

Leyland managed a good game, unfortunately Texas was just the better team. Are you going to blame him for the 2 fielding errors that we had as well? or like others said the cold bats?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:16 AM   #93
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Congrats to the Rangers. Tigers didn't have the clutch hitting or pitching they needed. I know injuries played a role, but not enough to be blamed for losing. Rangers had the better bats and better bullpen. Losing A.A.'s confidence late in the regular season killed the Tiger's pen. He was a rookie, so hopefully he can rebound next year.

I hope the Rangers can beat the Cards. Good luck guys.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #94
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Didn't you hear, Mike? It was Leyland's fault.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #95
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Didn't you hear, Mike? It was Leyland's fault.
I can't blame him for Game 6. Game 5 maybe.

I like 4 of next year's starting rotation: Verlander, Fister, Scherzer, and Porcello.

They need:

1. A 5th starter that is better than Penny, lefty preferred.
2. A starting 2nd baseman
3. A starting 3rd basemen
4. At least one decent reliever who can go more than an inning, lefty would be nice
5. A backup catcher who hits above the Mendoza line and has a decent arm

Any bats they add would preferrably be from the left side or switch. They are too right dominant both at the plate and on the mound. I figure the outfield will be Boesch, Jackson, and Young. If Rayburn could learn how to field at all his bat is good enough to start him. However, I believe he has the worst stats in history for anyone who has started at 2nd base.