Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Trading: (23)
chenvt will become famous soon enough
Default Cooler Questions

So uhhh a friend of mine has capped out his/her cabinet and needs more room.. My friend needs to make room for some other purchases he/she made. Preferably he/she would like to get a cooler so it can be put away in a closet to hide the fact that he/she has so many cigars. He/she had some questions on coolers:

1) Recommendation for a cooler? He/she heard about an $85 one at Wal-mart

2) How many lbs of beads would be needed for that

3) are fans necessary as well?

4) how often does the cooler need to be opened? He/she goes away for 3-6 months out of the country which is why he/she bought a temp/humidity controlled cab

5) how many boxes will the above cooler hold?
chenvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cooler Questions

You want one with a good seal. I'd opt for a name brand, but prices vary widely, so shop around. I have a 50qt and a 100qt Coleman.

http://heartfeltindustries.com/calculator.asp

Probably not

4) how often does the cooler need to be opened? He/she goes away for 3-6 months out of the country which is why he/she bought a temp/humidity controlled cab
I know people who don't open very often at all - a couple of times a year - and have no problems.

What size did you buy and what are the dimensions?

Last edited by markem; 01-11-2010 at 10:21 AM.
markem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenvt View Post
There is some debate about storing cigars for long term ageing in plastic bags. The theory is that you will have slower ageing, which will result in more flavorsome cigars. These cigars are sealed for sometimes decades and are supposedly exquisite.

My point is, I dont think 6 months unopened will be detrimental. Your cooler might smell a bit of ammonia if your cigars are still young when the cooler is first opened. When you get back, crack the cooler for a day or two to evacuate the ammonia smell if there is any... I think youll be fine

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

What's with the sexual ambiguity? Is your "friend" Boy George?
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenvt View Post
So uhhh a friend of mine has capped out his/her cabinet and needs more room.. My friend needs to make room for some other purchases he/she made. Preferably he/she would like to get a cooler so it can be put away in a closet to hide the fact that he/she has so many cigars. He/she had some questions on coolers:

Any of the extreme type coolers. The ones rated to hold ice for 3 days or more.

1lb has held for me quite well with a 100qt cooler. I only keep 1/4 of the beads wet and it holds for a few months with no recharging.

Necessary.. no, but it puts my mind at ease to have a oust fan in there

4) how often does the cooler need to be opened? He/she goes away for 3-6 months out of the country which is why he/she bought a temp/humidity controlled cab I would say as long as temps don't get too high, then there is no problem with leaving closed for that amount of time. The biggest problem would be to have a cooler closed for that long and temps getting high... think beetles

My 100qt could hold easily 30 boxes or more. If you're talking about cabs, then adjust accordingly.
Lastly, you can do away with getting a cooler if you smoked more!!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

RE OP's question #4

Just leave the water drain plug open on the bottom of the cooler. It'll allow enough airflow that you won't have an ammonia buildup. but not so much that the humidity is affected.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #7
madwilliamflint
Cigar n00b

First Name: Michael
Trading: (0)
madwilliamflint is on a distinguished road

I just embarked on this escapade as well.

There's a 70 quart Coleman on amazon for a sliver under $40. With amazon prime I got that with free shipping. It comes out to a little under 2.4 cubic feet. I can vouch for the seal, it's pretty definitive.

I just (an hour ago) got my 1 pound of heartfelt 70% beads, which is rated for twice that volume, so they all went in (in a drawstring bag which I set in an empty cigar cask from J&R.)

$100 for the whole thing (including the xikar hygrometer that's coming in a couple days.) As to how much it holds? I can't imagine. Several hundred cigars. Most of mine are loose, and in tupperware trays (I cut 1" by 6" holes in the sides for air flow) that use space with remarkable inefficiency (until I get a job and can afford cedar.)

I'm going to post something more comprehensive later on. But I saw this thread and figured it'd be a good place to share some details.
madwilliamflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #8
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

You can get the 120qt Polar Igloo on the Walmart site for $59.

For humidification, I use one small water pillow for my Coleman Extreme 78qt coolers. I usually refresh the water in those once a month and so far, I haven't had to use anything in my 60qt Igloo Cube. It has been full and left shut for almost a year and rh is a steady 64%. I need to open it soon though to change batteries in the wireless hygro.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
pgagnon

i have question as well since i just put my cigars into a coleman as well and it seems that i have problems with humidity as well....

i have the famous shilala beads. 3 packs of them wich should be more than enough but they cant seems to do the job. this may be a stupid question.... no it IS a stupid question but do i need to put water with them the first time?

now another one, keeping the cigars into a 5er bag is correct right? it does not stop the humidification huh?

I R stupid

QQ
Old 01-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #10
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgagnon View Post
i have question as well since i just put my cigars into a coleman as well and it seems that i have problems with humidity as well....

i have the famous shilala beads. 3 packs of them wich should be more than enough but they cant seems to do the job. this may be a stupid question.... no it IS a stupid question but do i need to put water with them the first time?

now another one, keeping the cigars into a 5er bag is correct right? it does not stop the humidification huh?

I am not familiar enough with Shiala beads to comment. You could send him a PM and ask.

As to storage, the 5 Finger bags are fine. I believe a certain butler keeps his cigars this way.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:

I R stupid

QQ

Shilala beads should be ready to go as soon as you receive them. You should have gotten them in double ziplocked baggies right? Whatever RH% you purchased, thats what they will be at.

Just toss them in there and close the lid... set and forget.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #12
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Lastly, you can do away with getting a cooler if you smoked more!!
I have no idea what you are referring to, but I'll tell my friend about it
Old 01-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
pgagnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Shilala beads should be ready to go as soon as you receive them. You should have gotten them in double ziplocked baggies right? Whatever RH% you purchased, thats what they will be at.

Just toss them in there and close the lid... set and forget.
i should have left them in the bag?

if not well i placed 3 bag of 8 oz and they humi is still DROPPING under 55% and i readjusted my hydrometer twice already
Old 01-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #14
chenvt
Duck the Futch!!!

Quote:

if not well i placed 3 bag of 8 oz and they humi is still DROPPING under 55% and i readjusted my hydrometer twice already
I think you have to see if the environment the beads are in is too dry.. Also look at the beads.. if they look dry, it means they don't have any water to let moisture out..

Coolers have nothing to absorb and hold moisture.. So if you put cigars and beads in there straight, unless you have the cooler packed with smokes, the RH is likely to drop..

I recommend to start off with, you fill that sucker up with empty cigar boxes, take a damp cloth over the wood, and let it sit in there for a bit.. And put a dish with distilled water and sponge in there.. the wood will help absorb the moisture..
Old 01-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #15
MNSmoker
Well Adjusted

First Name: Chris
Trading: (13)
Cohiba
MNSmoker has disabled reputation

Quote:

No, you take them out of the ziplock bags once you receive them. If you need to raise the humidity in your cooler, place a dish of distilled water in your cooler and your beads will absorb the water and increase your humidity. Keep the water in your cooler until you reach your desired RH.

If you're still having RH problems after you recharge your beads, you might be having an issue with the cooler.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #16
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
...i have the famous shilala beads. 3 packs of them wich should be more than enough but they cant seems to do the job. this may be a stupid question.... no it IS a stupid question but do i need to put water with them the first time?

QQ
Do NOT put water on Shilala's beads! If your humidor/coolidor is sealed then shilala's beads will work fine. Make sure that all the seals are good and that the there are no leaks. If necessary, through some calking or sealant around the drain plug.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:23 AM   #17
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
RE OP's question #4

Just leave the water drain plug open on the bottom of the cooler. It'll allow enough airflow that you won't have an ammonia buildup. but not so much that the humidity is affected.
Why would you leave the drain plug open? When you buy a wooden humidor you are looking for something with a good, air-tight seal. A coolidor should be the same way - sealed. You would not put a drain-plug-sized hole in your wood humi, would you?

If you leave the drain open you will not be able to regulate your RH. That may not be a problem for you, depending upon where you live.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #18
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Why would you leave the drain plug open? When you buy a wooden humidor you are looking for something with a good, air-tight seal. A coolidor should be the same way - sealed. You would not put a drain-plug-sized hole in your wood humi, would you?

If you leave the drain open you will not be able to regulate your RH. That may not be a problem for you, depending upon where you live.
Wooden humidors breathe. Plastic doesn't.

That's why.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #19
Thrak
.. the man from Nantucket

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Thrak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post

Humidors are not air tight, they allow (or are supposed to) a small amount of air exchange.
Thrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #20
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

A good wooden humidor does not allow enough are through the wood to be noticeable. What the wood in a wood humidor does is provide a source of moisture (RH), and "seasoning" for your cigars. When you consider the densities of the wood and any finish (varnish, lacquer) on the outside there is no air flow -- except from opening and closing.

If you scan the forums -- those people with coolidors that live in climates with temperature and/or RH swings have their coolidors sealed.

Look, you don't have to seal it, but if you don't seal it and you live in an area with temp and/or RH swings, then you will not be able to maintain a steady RH in your coolidor.