Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 11-20-2016, 10:39 PM   #1
Stinky
Join CigarRights.org NOW!

First Name: Stinky
Trading: (1)
Punch
Stinky will become famous soon enoughStinky will become famous soon enough
Default Miss-Used Cigar Term! STOGIE?

The cigar term, Stogie, has a specific definition. Stogie (or Stogy) is the American nickname for a long, skinny, UN-pressed, cheap cigar that was made in Conestoga, Pennsylvania, the center of native-leaf production in the early nineteenth century. Originally invented about 1826 by a tobacco merchant named George W. Black in Washington, Pennsylvania.

One popular myth says that it was so named because drivers of Conestoga wagons crossing the plains typically smoked them, and they were thought to resemble the spokes on a Conestoga wagon wheel. Today, "Stogie" is a somewhat derogatory term for a cheap cigar.

Last week I found an article online that was written by a self proclaimed cigar person to help new cigar smokers. Not only did the article repeatedly refer to Stogie(s) but the writing style and language was difficult to understand! LINK Please read it for yourself. I'd like to hear your opinion.

IMHO: Calling a premium cigar 'a Stogie' is inappropriate for a knowledgeable cigar enthusiast. I also avoid the term "stick" as an alternate for the word Cigar.

But, that's just my opinion because . . . I'm Stinky!

Promoting the Enjoyment of Fine Cigars!
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:11 PM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Miss-Used Cigar Term! STOGIE?

What about stogies that are ISOMs?
Old 11-21-2016, 03:40 AM   #3
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Next, some guy will start throwing his stogie butts in a bowl and call it an ashtray. I mean, come on, everybody knows trays are flat!
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:55 AM   #4
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post

IMHO: Calling a premium cigar 'a Stogie' is inappropriate for a knowledgeable cigar enthusiast. I also avoid the term "stick" as an alternate for the word Cigar.

But, that's just my opinion because . . . I'm Stinky!
That's pretty cool - thanks Stinky! I guess come people use Stogie like a term of endearment - personally I would paraphrase, that a good cigar is a smoke!

Old 11-21-2016, 05:27 AM   #5
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I've always used "stogie" to refer to the nub that's left after I'm done smoking a cigar...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:02 AM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
What about stogies that are ISOMs?
Those are sticks.

Sheez. You should know that.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:04 AM   #7
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
I agree 100% I have always cringed at the term. In fact, as much as I love the movie, Wedding Crashers (and watch it often), I almost dread the part where Owen Wilson's character replies to Secretary Cleary's offer of a cigar with "Stogies!"

Now....on the other hand, I do occasionally use the term 'sticks'....but, for no clear reason, usually in the plural...rarely to discuss a specific cigar.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I've always used "stogie" to refer to the nub that's left after I'm done smoking a cigar...
I call those "stinkies".

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #9
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Miss-used is misused.

Just sayin'
Old 11-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #10
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

I always assumed "Stogie" was an East Coast colloquism as I generally don't hear that word on the Left Coast.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #11
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Sticks, smokes, stogies, cigars...I use them all interchangeably. If I've inadvertently offended someone by doing so...well, that doesn't bother me at all.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:58 PM   #12
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Sticks, smokes, stogies, cigars...I use them all interchangeably. If I've inadvertently offended someone by doing so...well, that doesn't bother me at all.

Political correctness creeping into the cigar world now... please, say it isn't so. SMH.

I'll keep to the creed; "smoke what you like, like what you smoke" and add, "call 'em what you want".

My $.02.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #13
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

I think that anyone who has so much time on their hands to nitpick about out-of-date terms for stogies should get a job as a greeter at Walmart.

Language is dynamic. Terms take on new meanings. Being stuck in the past is just that.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:15 PM   #14
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post

Political correctness creeping into the cigar world now... please, say it isn't so. SMH.
Suck My Humidor?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:21 PM   #15
dave
Have My Own Room

Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
I think that anyone who has so much time on their hands to nitpick about out-of-date terms for stogies should get a job as a greeter at Walmart.

Language is dynamic. Terms take on new meanings. Being stuck in the past is just that.

I disagree. I think language is important. Dynamic, of course, but understanding nuances and perceptions is significant. At least, it can be if one wants to communicate. I'm not sure how an interest in English distinctions and variations makes them Walmart Greeter material...not that there's anything wrong with that

I had a botl friend that was insistent upon saying that he was 'going to enjoy a cigar' vice 'going to smoke a cigar'. He thought the distinction important. I didn't adopt his convention, but I respect it....and do use it at times.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #16
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Suck My Humidor?
Uh...no

Old 11-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #17
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
I disagree. I think language is important. Dynamic, of course, but understanding nuances and perceptions is significant. At least, it can be if one wants to communicate. I'm not sure how an interest in English distinctions and variations makes them Walmart Greeter material...not that there's anything wrong with that

I had a botl friend that was insistent upon saying that he was 'going to enjoy a cigar' vice 'going to smoke a cigar'. He thought the distinction important. I didn't adopt his convention, but I respect it....and do use it at times.
I'm not disagreeing with you. I am, however, pointing out that if, in the common vernacular, the term 'stogie' is not associated with a particular type of wagon from the 1800s (that is considered an apocryphal story, btw) then jumping up and down insisting that everyone is wrong is kinda silly and more than out-moded.

By all means, be specific with language, but language is intended to communicate ideas and information, not be a source of pedantic argument, unless you are an editor or similar or maybe John Cleese . I use terms loosely in order to help insure (compare: ensure) the listener understands the meaning of my statement. I could be very tight on proper usage and insist that everyone else do same, but the goal, the communication of ideas and information, would (possibly) be lost.

btw, with your friend, the first is a proper subset of the second. Where is The Professor (a real professor of rhetoric) when you need him...
Old 11-21-2016, 03:01 PM   #18
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

You call it what you want; I'm callin' it a stogie!
Old 11-21-2016, 03:17 PM   #19
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Where is The Professor (a real professor of rhetoric) when you need him...
Changing diapers, last I heard...

Many of us emigrated from a fabled, once great land that was partially called "Stogie". It's long gone now, but the friendships remain. And I don't give a crap what someone calls his or her cigar. Cigar smokers get a bad enough rap as it is without going out of our way to be unnecessarily pedantic.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:42 PM   #20
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice