Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Reviews

Old 01-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

First Name: Tristan
Trading: (0)
Partagas
Tristan will become famous soon enough
Default Sam Gawith 1792 Flake

I was at the B&M in Stevens Point on Monday after work and was browsing through the selections. I was looking a non-aromatic tin that wasn't on the steep side. Pickins were slim. I thought I would give this tin a shot.

I lit up a bowl of this about 30 minutes ago. The tin aroma is very pungunt and kind of chocolaty. Apparently there is a tonquin topping. Tonquin is some sort of bean grown in England and Brazil. I had never heard of this until reading about this tobacco and searching for it on the "google machine."

This is billed as a full flavored tobacco. It certainly does have a great deal of flavor. The ad copy online says this is Sam Gawith's best selling blend. It burns well, The tobacco was quite wet when I opened the tin. I rubbed out a bowl or twos worth on a paper towel and allowed this to dry for a little over an hour. The tobacco was still a little too moist for my liking, but my bedtime is getting closer as the minute's pass. There is no time to lose!

I selected my bent sandblast briar that I typically use for aromatics. Being as though I don't smoke aromatics with regularity this pipe hasn't seen much action. I lit, tamped, lit again and again to get this bowl started proper.

So far, this is a very interesting smoke. It's sweet, pretty much a one note experience so far, but enjoyable. I'm not sure if the tonquin treatment is "my bag" as of yet. I'm going to smoke a few bowls and see how it suits my fancy or has a place in the regular rotation.

From what I have read this is said to be a very nicotine strong blend. I'm not really buzzed up at this point half way down the bowl. My mouth is a tad numb and there is a certain degree of "easy chair lock" or "couch lock" as we used to call it in the college days. I'm quite content to sit here and ponder the day with a can of Squirt by my side.

When I smoke flakes, I expect to perform additional maintenance during the smoke. The bowl has needed surprisingly little attention. I smoked half way down before the pipe went out from neglect. This blend produces a great deal of smoke. Besides a tad of mouth numbing I don't detect any "bite" while smoking this tobacco.

I'm now in the last third and I feel the nicotine kick to the pants. It's right on that fine line of good buzz and overwhelming. I'll report back when I've finished the bowl!
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Slow Triathlete
I Need A Beer!!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (11)
RA
Slow Triathlete is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sam Gawith 1792 Flake

Let me know when it makes you throw up!!
Slow Triathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Triathlete View Post
Let me know when it makes you throw up!!
LOL! It was certainly rich in "Vitamin N" but I didn't hurl. I did have crazy dreams from lots of said vitamins.

I got to the last third before I determined this flake might not be for me. I'm not sure I'll smoke another bowl of this anytime soon.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I haven't been to a pipe shope in Steven's Point in quite a while, which one are you talking about?

If you aren't up for the 1792, let me know. Maybe we can hook up for a herf and maybe work out a swap or some such.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
TheRealBonger
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Eric
TheRealBonger is on a distinguished road

Let the 1792 sit in the tin for a couple weeks and try again. I think after opening a couple weeks rest takes a little of the topping away. I like this blend every once in a while.
TheRealBonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
atlharp
Microaggressor

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (1)
HUpmann
atlharp is on a distinguished road

I picked up 3 oz.'s of of some 1792 flake yesterday. Absolutely a great blend. Smooth, no tongue bite, and a nice flavor. Not complex, but definitely nice. A very nice blend that you should have at your standby!

ATL
atlharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:02 AM   #7
Tristan
#PretentiousBastage

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I haven't been to a pipe shope in Steven's Point in quite a while, which one are you talking about?

If you aren't up for the 1792, let me know. Maybe we can hook up for a herf and maybe work out a swap or some such.
Sorry, didn't see this until now! Herf,...... did you say herf? Anytime man! We could probably even get James up here for a smoke. PM Sent!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
Sorry, didn't see this until now! Herf,...... did you say herf? Anytime man! We could probably even get James up here for a smoke. PM Sent!
Do you still have the 1792 Flake left, and not dried out? Bring it to the herf. I haven't had any in ages. Maybe we can work out a trade for what is left??? How much is gone? What kind of tobacco might you be interested in for a trade? VA? VaPer? English? Aromatic?

Let me know.

By the way, what was the price per tin in SP for the tin?

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
...We could probably even get James up here for a smoke. PM Sent!
James doesn't play hard to get when it's herf time. Unless he's iced in. Has the snow in Stevens Point melted yet, eh?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Do you still have the 1792 Flake left, and not dried out?
FWIW I just crumbled up a few bowls worth of 1792 from a forgotten tin. The stuff was dry-dry and there wasn't enough to bother rewetting. Granted, it has been Carolina-humid around here but the crumbly dried out old 1792 was pretty good. Way above expectations.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
atlharp
Microaggressor

HUpmann

Had some 1792 today. I got about 4 ounces from Greg at Poops Ltd the other day. I swear it just gets better and better everyday. One of the best blends I have have ever had. Pure joy!

ATL
Old 09-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #12
Benwoo

Well I was able to try some of this yesterday. I had ordered bulk. I'm not sure how much or if it differs from the tinned stuff. I must say I really liked it quite a bit. It shot to pretty much the top of the charts so far and I can't foresee any subsequent bowls of this stuff dropping it any lower on my list. My batch didn't seem moisture heavy from what I could tell. What kind of worried me was the reports of a healthy dose of nicotine since I don't seem to handle vitamin N too well... I was quite surprised when I couldn't detect any ill affects from nicotine. This stuff was quite pleasant to prep and smoke. Even in a pretty new pipe w/o much of a cake this stuff burned well with out needing too much attention. I was using a hurker bent brandy (2.5+ in. deep bowl) that I acquired not too long ago. I think that pipe may have to be dedicated to it from now on though, it still wreaks of usage enough to make my nose twitch and my eyes a bit watery today. Hopefully a good airing out will cut that down but I don't think it can be used for much else unless I alcy treat it. Other then the unforeseen dedication of my brandy pipe I lub this stuffz!

Chris
Old 09-14-2009, 12:02 PM   #13
Benwoo

The pipe odor did mellow out quite a bit after a day of airing out
Old 09-16-2009, 07:13 AM   #14
atlharp
Microaggressor

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwoo View Post
Well I was able to try some of this yesterday. I had ordered bulk. I'm not sure how much or if it differs from the tinned stuff. I must say I really liked it quite a bit. It shot to pretty much the top of the charts so far and I can't foresee any subsequent bowls of this stuff dropping it any lower on my list. My batch didn't seem moisture heavy from what I could tell. What kind of worried me was the reports of a healthy dose of nicotine since I don't seem to handle vitamin N too well... I was quite surprised when I couldn't detect any ill affects from nicotine. This stuff was quite pleasant to prep and smoke. Even in a pretty new pipe w/o much of a cake this stuff burned well with out needing too much attention. I was using a hurker bent brandy (2.5+ in. deep bowl) that I acquired not too long ago. I think that pipe may have to be dedicated to it from now on though, it still wreaks of usage enough to make my nose twitch and my eyes a bit watery today. Hopefully a good airing out will cut that down but I don't think it can be used for much else unless I alcy treat it. Other then the unforeseen dedication of my brandy pipe I lub this stuffz!

Chris
I will say this, the reports of 1792 Flake of being this ass-kicking powerhouse are highly overrated, It is a smooth, strong blend that has wonderful flavor. Still one of my daily blends!

ATL
Old 09-16-2009, 07:34 AM   #15
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Just received a tin of 1792 Flake in the pipe tobacco lottery.

I'm looking forward to a bowl tonight. I haven't even opened the tin yet ... I'm interested to see what this unique topping is all about.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #16
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

here's a review i wrote way back in '07 or '06...

as a newbie, i tried Rattrays Hal o' the Wynd, which is excellent in its own right. on my return trip to the shop, i told them i wanted something with more kick, so they tossed me a tin of SG Bracken Flake (which i also reviewed), and that REALLY had a lot more kick.

i had learned shortly thereafter that Bracken Flake was almost identical to 1792 Flake except that there's an additive to 1792 called "tonquin".
well, the tin aromas are very distinct, that's for sure. when i first opened the Bracken, i loved the aroma. with the 1792, i thought i was in trouble, wasn't what i was groovin on...

well, i'm about halfway through the tin, and it's still a little too moist to give it a fair review. the tonquin additive takes some getting use to, and the 1792 does pack a pretty good nicotine whallop for those of you who need a good nic kick in the pants.

i have a small bowl i keep by my tins that i put moist baccy in to let dry out for a while. last night, i finally tried some erinmore flake (like nyquil in tobacco form - but wasn't bad), and there was a pinch worth left in the bowl. so, when i took out the 1792, i just put it in the bowl, mixed it all up and stuff my pipe with it.

so, not a fair review as it's still a little moist and mixed with leafy nyquil (erinmore flake).

this was the first time i've been able to smoke the 1792 without constant relights, and it made tons of smoke (that my wife actually likes the room note ). the ash was nice and soft, white as could be. the pipe i'm using for these "lakeland flakes" is not sufficiently broken in, so the edges didn't burn all the way, but no big deal.

flavors? well, hard to describe, but they take getting use to, that's for sure. you can really taste the tonquin when you smoke it. gives a nice tingle on the tongue, never any "bite" though. does hit you in the gut with the nicotine, it's strong stuff. really wish i could describe this, it's like a dark spice, kinda musty, like imagining someone smoking in an old attic on the finish.

will give another update when the tobac dries to where it's best.

if i had to give it a rank from 1-10, this would be a 7 for me. not bad at all, but you have to really groove on the tonquin flavor for it to be ranked any higher. you can't bash on the quality of the leaf, the thickness of the flakes, the burning qualities and all that - just the flavor is either for you, or it's not. and i'm on the fence so far, maybe when it dries out a bit more i might lean more toward an 8 rating.
it's recommended - you have to try a tin once, maybe you'll love it.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:27 AM   #17
Benwoo

My GF said she liked the smell of this too, which surprised me.

So Curly after a few years has it grown on ya?
Old 09-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #18
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

yes it has. oddly enough, i think i only have 1 tin left. i need to stock up on this and a few other blends i'm out of but keep wanting to grab for.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:47 PM   #19
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I was at the B&M in Stevens Point on Monday after work and was browsing through the selections. I was looking a non-aromatic tin that wasn't on the steep side. Pickins were slim. I thought I would give this tin a shot.
Thanks for the review on the Sam Gawith 1792 Flake Tristan (even though an old review at that)
Old 09-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #20
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Tristan, bring it to the herf next weekend. I'll swap you something for it.

Has to be better than a tent pole.