Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough
Default Carrying cheap smokes

I usually try and carry 1 or 2 mild, cheaper smokes for handouts. This weekend, I had nothing but $9+ sticks in my 10 count travel humidor and sure enough, someone at a party I was at asked for a cigar and says, "Whatever you have that's mild!" I decided to give him the LP #9 that I had been looking forward to trying for the first time since I wasn't willing to part with my GoF Carlito's and Opus Lost City. Looks like I'm going to have to go buy another LP #9 lol.

I also had a My Uzi Weighs a Ton, which I opted to smoke instead of the LP. I should have given him that as it was very smooth and more medium bodied. I think the LP's are pretty strong from what I remember reading about them, although he said it wasn't too strong for him.

Anyways, maybe it's time to upgrade to a larger travel humidor? Have many of you run into similar situations? I feel like I should invest in a small stock of 5 Vegas Gold's.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Carrying cheap smokes

Hey Brian, if you are handing out LP #9's at parties, can I party with you? Good on ya for handing out the stick, I doubt I would have given it up unless I knew the guy was an actual smoker, if he would have put it down after a few puffs or half stick I would not have been happy!
Old 02-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (6)
RA
ktblunden is on a distinguished road

Most of the time I smoke cigars I either do it at home or in a group of regular cigar smokers. I've handed out some nice stuff, but it's always to people who know what it is and appreciate it. There have been a couple times I've had a non-cigar smoker ask me for one, but it's always been at home and I go through the cooler and find them something on the milder side.
ktblunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

I carry a15 count herfador for that very reason.... And 5 vegas golds are my go to mild as well! I usually pack what I'm planning on smoking on the bottom rows and top it off with 5 vegas. Pretty band, mild smoke, inexpensive to stockpile.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Sounds like It's time for a moochador. I will be building up one soon too.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I always carry "extras" when I herf. My "value sticks" are some of my go-tos...Famous Nic 5000 Toros, ML3 Torpedos, and Cu-Avana Intensos. That way, the more inexperienced smokers don't feel obligated to finish it. Lately I have been carrying my 30 count to herfs. That way I can store plenty of good stuff for me and those who will truly appreciate a good stick.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
Hey Brian, if you are handing out LP #9's at parties, can I party with you? Good on ya for handing out the stick, I doubt I would have given it up unless I knew the guy was an actual smoker, if he would have put it down after a few puffs or half stick I would not have been happy!

No, unfortunately I don't think he smokes cigars or knows much about them. He did finish it though. I didn't realize they would be smoking cigars and I just happened to be the only guy who had any extras. I figured that aside from the Uzi, it was one of the less expensive cigars I had purchased that day.

I will make a point to carry some cheaper cigars at all times now. I just need to get a bigger case. What's funny is when I first got it, I was still very new to cigars and I wanted a simple 5 count, but the guy convinced me to get the 10. Little did I know how fast the cliff was approaching at the time.

It does give me an excuse to head to my local B&M to have a drink and enjoy my first LP9 after work today
Old 02-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

I ALWAYS carry a couple Chateau Fuentes when I think the pigeons will be flocking. like all the BOTL here, I enjoy sharing with people that actually care, but it drives me nuts when some drunk ass takes two puffs and rest ends up foot down in a Bud Light bottle.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
He did finish it though.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I usually only hang out with friends, so I know they finish them. It never bothers me what I hand out, it got smoked.

Although I will be looking to get a 30 count or something, 5 count is only enough for personal use.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I usually only hang out with friends, so I know they finish them. It never bothers me what I hand out, it got smoked.

Although I will be looking to get a 30 count or something, 5 count is only enough for personal use.
Only have 1 friend or so, so it's easy...eh bro
Old 02-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I always carry "extras" when I herf. My "value sticks" are some of my go-tos...Famous Nic 5000 Toros, ML3 Torpedos, and Cu-Avana Intensos. That way, the more inexperienced smokers don't feel obligated to finish it. Lately I have been carrying my 30 count to herfs. That way I can store plenty of good stuff for me and those who will truly appreciate a good stick.

I read the bolded as "Pvnisher" while scanning through. That would be a surprise to the guy!

I'll typically bring a few cheaper ones just in case someone wants one, but most of the time the only time I get some one asking for a cigar is when I'm at my place on the porch and one of my roommates wants to sit out and smoke with me. They both know that anything on the left hand side of my humi is fair game at this point.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

I have no problem handing out sticks as long as I know they will be smoked, I prefer to hand out some that i have tried, but I have been know to hand out some of the ones I have been wanting to try, but no big deal, that's what it's all about right?

I will be getting me a 30 count for Shack, I only have a 15 ct right now and that's not going to cut it.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
guitar4001
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
VR Army (Active)
guitar4001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAZ View Post
No, unfortunately I don't think he smokes cigars or knows much about them. He did finish it though. I didn't realize they would be smoking cigars and I just happened to be the only guy who had any extras. I figured that aside from the Uzi, it was one of the less expensive cigars I had purchased that day.

I will make a point to carry some cheaper cigars at all times now. I just need to get a bigger case. What's funny is when I first got it, I was still very new to cigars and I wanted a simple 5 count, but the guy convinced me to get the 10. Little did I know how fast the cliff was approaching at the time.

It does give me an excuse to head to my local B&M to have a drink and enjoy my first LP9 after work today
It's good that the guy finished the smoke - being new to cigars and all. One of my pet peeves is folks who bum cigars and don't finish.

///TRUE STORY ALERT///

When I was in Afghanistan someone sent us a TON of Fuentes and a handful of cubans in the same big box. Normally I would divide the good cigars between our various companies and locations, but this time, a bunch of grabby hands made off with the whole lot in my absense before we could split them up.

The next day I went to the hut that the culprits shared and to my horror, there were about 20-25 cigars (Opus X, Hemingways, a God of Fire, and at least 2x Upmann #2) CRUSHED OUT on the ground - all with less than an inch smoked. About 5 guys were trying the cigars to see which ones "had flavors". I traded them a box of tampa sweets for the remaining cigars in the box (which were sitting in the 85 degree sun) and they were happy. I then gave them a talk about handrolled cigars vs. machine made cigars. I am always glad to share what I have with others, but these guys basically threw away about $300 in good smokes that others would have enjoyed.
guitar4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
On a good day
Old 02-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #16
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Old 02-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar4001 View Post
It's good that the guy finished the smoke - being new to cigars and all. One of my pet peeves is folks who bum cigars and don't finish.

///TRUE STORY ALERT///

When I was in Afghanistan someone sent us a TON of Fuentes and a handful of cubans in the same big box. Normally I would divide the good cigars between our various companies and locations, but this time, a bunch of grabby hands made off with the whole lot in my absense before we could split them up.

The next day I went to the hut that the culprits shared and to my horror, there were about 20-25 cigars (Opus X, Hemingways, a God of Fire, and at least 2x Upmann #2) CRUSHED OUT on the ground - all with less than an inch smoked. About 5 guys were trying the cigars to see which ones "had flavors". I traded them a box of tampa sweets for the remaining cigars in the box (which were sitting in the 85 degree sun) and they were happy. I then gave them a talk about handrolled cigars vs. machine made cigars. I am always glad to share what I have with others, but these guys basically threw away about $300 in good smokes that others would have enjoyed.
This is very sad to read, but yeah it happens.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #18
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

Quote:
Ouch =(
Old 02-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #19
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:

///TRUE STORY ALERT///

This should be posted in troop support threads too for the people that "will only send good sticks". Sad sad story.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #20
coty

I just thought of something that I may start doing just so I don't run into the same situation. Oliva makes the 5 pack tins of the short G's. Not bad smokes and they are like 2.50 a stick. You can also pack 2 in the same space that one cigar would normally take up.