Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Unhappy HELP with PP!!!

I was wondering if anybody could offer some advice. Lemme give you the background first.

I just did a box split, and had the guys PP me the money. One of the guys mentioned "cigar asylum" in the details. A day later I receive an email from PP saying that my account has been permanently limited because of violations "tobacco related sales".

Anyway, it was a pain in the ass, but I set up a new PP account, and had to set up a new checking account with my bank because you cannot use the same bank account for more than one PP account.

So got the second PP account set up, and tried logging in today to find that THIS account had been limited too. Dont know how, but they figured out that the accounts were linked somehow.

They have basically told me that Im not allowed to use their service anymore.

I'm running out of addresses.

Anybody got any suggestions???

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: HELP with PP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
I was wondering if anybody could offer some advice. Lemme give you the background first.

I just did a box split, and had the guys PP me the money. One of the guys mentioned "cigar asylum" in the details. A day later I receive an email from PP saying that my account has been permanently limited because of violations "tobacco related sales".

Anyway, it was a pain in the ass, but I set up a new PP account, and had to set up a new checking account with my bank because you cannot use the same bank account for more than one PP account.

So got the second PP account set up, and tried logging in today to find that THIS account had been limited too. Dont know how, but they figured out that the accounts were linked somehow.

They have basically told me that Im not allowed to use their service anymore.

I'm running out of addresses.

Anybody got any suggestions???
It could be that they recognize you by your IP address. Try a setting up a different account from a different location.

Oh and give the guy who mentioned cigars on his payment a swift kick in the pills.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

they mentioned "cigar asylum", not that you sold cigars or tobacco related items. Can't you claim you sold him cookies and that you know him from CA? Maybe PP buys it.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

An alternative to Pay-Pal is GearPay. It was created so people selling firearms/accessories, tobacco, and other P-Pal banned items could use GearPay instead of HeyHal. Unfortunately, GearPay is currently re-writing their software. As soon as they get it back up and running, that would be another option.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
It could be that they recognize you by your IP address. Try a setting up a different account from a different location.

Oh and give the guy who mentioned cigars on his payment a swift kick in the pills.

gonna try that, thanks Peter. the IP thing, not the kick in the pills
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
they mentioned "cigar asylum", not that you sold cigars or tobacco related items. Can't you claim you sold him cookies and that you know him from CA? Maybe PP buys it.
Already tried that, they didnt buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
An alternative to Pay-Pal is GearPay. It was created so people selling firearms/accessories, tobacco, and other P-Pal banned items could use GearPay instead of HeyHal. Unfortunately, GearPay is currently re-writing their software. As soon as they get it back up and running, that would be another option.
Thanks for the tip.

Im more concerned for non-CA related transactions because PP is the most widely accepted. Also, I had planned on using PP for my shops online store.

"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Been there...

The 'froze' $100's from me for several months.

You have to use a new account number, with a different email address.

I feel your pain, trust me...

You have to be totally clear not to use cigar or anything like that when using PP.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
Nope.

You're f'd if any kind of tobacco or tobacco related term is involved with PP. Since you agreed to the "terms of service", they can freeze all money of yours that is being held.

TIP: Withdraw all money in PP the very instant it gets put in there...
Old 02-24-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Another example of the Ebay conglomerate being too big for their britches. Alas, when you have a monopoly, you don't need to listen to unhappy customers. I'd keep trying to get them to re-open your old account somehow. Maybe even grovel a bit- might be worth it in the long run if you want to use pp for your online store! Good luck, I've had more than one run in with Ebay myself!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:58 AM   #9
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Nope.

You're f'd if any kind of tobacco or tobacco related term is involved with PP. Since you agreed to the "terms of service", they can freeze all money of yours that is being held.

TIP: Withdraw all money in PP the very instant it gets put in there...
Fortunately I didnt have any issues withdrawing my $$. I just cant use, or alter the account other than making withdrawls. The wont even let me close the account!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Maybe even grovel a bit- might be worth it in the long run if you want to use pp for your online store! !
Tried, they basically told me "tough chit"

Old 02-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #11
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Damn, I never trusted Heypal from the get go. Never understood why they needed a checking account number for "validation". AQ checking account has no bearing on a Heypal account, so they must use it for some unknown reason.

I still do business the old fashioned way, cash, check, MO.... If I can't keep my rep clean enough for others to trust me then I shouldn't be doing businees with others.

I hope you can resolve something with them to get your business going. Ebayyy and HeyPal have gotten way to big IMO.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Maybe even grovel a bit- might be worth it in the long run if you want to use pp for your online store!

You're kidding, right? PP are the worst and do not stand up for the consumer or vendor. They do not care, and it's in their interest to freeze your money whenever they can.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #13
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Wow- that's tough! I know some folks that use Google check-out- you might want to look into that. And, I'd contact the BBB about pp- make a stink. And tell them that you are now using xyz, and are much happier, and will recommend it to all your friends who use pp, etc etc. Again, when you're as big as Ebay/pp, you pretty much can do what you want.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #14
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Wow- that's tough! I know some folks that use Google check-out- you might want to look into that..
I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the tip!

Old 02-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #15
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
I still do business the old fashioned way, cash, check, MO.... If I can't keep my rep clean enough for others to trust me then I shouldn't be doing businees with others.
pp is very useful for international transfers, especially to other people and you want to use your credit card. For example, Wanger is my forwarder for the cigars I buy in the States, I order cigars myself, pay for them with my CC but I can't pay Wanger the postage with my cc, I use pp for that. Cash, check, MO is way too much hassle for that.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #16
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Peter's solution to the ills of the world!

I would reconsider having your account tied into your checking. Having funds tied up for several months can be a serious pain. You might consider changing it to a CC. The only issue is that cash payments to you show as credits on your CC. If you need the cash, have the person send a check or MO. If you band with WAMU, cashiers checks and wire transfers are free.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #17
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I would reconsider having your account tied into your checking. Having funds tied up for several months can be a serious pain.
Why would funds be tied up for several months?

As I stated, I had no problems withdrawing from the PP account. I had my CC's registered with my original account, but you cannot use the same CC or bank account # on more than one PP account

Old 02-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #18
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

PP is a PITA. You have to be very specific not to mention anything tobacco related. Good to know about the IP address.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #19
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Why would funds be tied up for several months?
If there are funds in your account when the lock it, there will be a problem. Has happened to more than one person at our old home.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #20
Cyanide

There seems to be another entity known as "email transactions" or "email funds transfer" I believe. At least it exists here in Canada (I have done this with the Royal Bank of Canada). I don't think there should be any reason why it wouldn't be well established in the states.

All you need is established online banking (actually, there is a way to do it without this, but that looks like a PITA). Someone else with online banking devises an email transaction from their online bank account, sends it to with embedded security methods, you receive, supply "the key" and the money is yours to put into your account. I think it costs significantly less than PP transactions to boot. I think you can even do it with credit cards (though I wouldn't as cash transfers probably occur at a much worse interest rate).

Just a little bit of information, if you weren't already aware of it.

Cheers

Cyanide