Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #1
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Question Finance - Which to pay first?

I have two loans that I pay additional principal on each month; home and car?

Both are at similar interest rates (the car could be a little lower %). Is there one I should focus the additional money I can pay towards principal first? First thought is the home since the terms are longer, but it would also be nice to have the car paid off sooner. Then again the car loses value each month too.

Some months the additional I would pay on the car just goes to the lender's bank and sits in a savings account I had to open (credit union). I figure if there is a major service I have money or I could eventually use that money in their savings account to pay off the loan.

Is there any consensus on which to focus on or just pay some extra on both as I have been doing?
Old 11-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #2
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: Finance - Which to pay first?

I'm not an expert but I would pay the car first. Once its paid off then use what you're saving on the car being paid off to pay even more on the house.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:40 AM   #3
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
I'm not an expert but I would pay the car first. Once its paid off then use what you're saving on the car being paid off to pay even more on the house.
It would be nice to have the car paid off. I'd like to buy a 2nd car and was kind of dependent on the 1st being paid. I don't like loans.

I thought since the terms on the mortgage is so long, that the interest would even bigger if I didn't focus on the house as much.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:10 AM   #4
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I follow Dave Ramsey's advice.

Pay off the smallest loan first. Then apply what you were paying to the remaining balance.

Debt snowball!

https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/get-...-snowball-plan
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:27 AM   #5
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post

Pay off the smallest loan first. Then apply what you were paying to the remaining balance.

Debt snowball!

Ok, I think that settles it then. I'll concentrate on the car then.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:19 AM   #6
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

Good choice. Another benefit is that mortgage interest on your home is deductible on your fed taxes whereas car loan interest is not.
Old 11-07-2019, 11:27 AM   #7
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Paying the additional principal on the car is kind of a pain. I have to transfer the money to the credit union savings account first. I pay the loan from my default bank, but if I do that for additional payments, it does not go to principal. It's not real pain, but I wish they had a better system.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #8
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

The Fed has dropped interest rates 3 times in the past few months. Have you looked into refinancing your mortgage to get a lower rate?
Old 11-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #9
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
The Fed has dropped interest rates 3 times in the past few months. Have you looked into refinancing your mortgage to get a lower rate?
Not really. I worry if I refinance to a 20, the amortization schedule may play against me.

I could look into it and see if it really makes sense. I am at an effective rate of 3.8750% currently on my mortgage.

Looking at a mortgage calc, I could do a 15 fixed and pay similar to what I pay now. Something to consider. I will stop by a bank and talk to them. Thanks!

Last edited by mosesbotbol; 11-07-2019 at 01:28 PM.
mosesbotbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #10
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

The strict financial answer is "Pay off the higher interest rate first".

...but if it were ME? I'd pay off the car loan first. The feeling of "awww yesss it's paid off!" is just too good.
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:06 PM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoco View Post
The strict financial answer is "Pay off the higher interest rate first".

...but if it were ME? I'd pay off the car loan first. The feeling of "awww yesss it's paid off!" is just too good.
The car is at 4.4%. I too would like to get the car paid off and explore a refinance on the home.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:37 AM   #12
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

I dont see this as a completely cut and dried case. The fact that extra payments on the car go into a savings account instead of applying to the principle makes it sound like the way the car load is written there may be a penalty for early payment and the savings account is how they attempt to delay your paying it off first. If that is not the case then debt snowballing applies and the smaller of the two should get the extra payment to get rid of it sooner and then move on to the next larger.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:29 AM   #13
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijit View Post
I dont see this as a completely cut and dried case.
I apologize for not be so clear. Within the credit union site which allows me to make principal only payments does not allow me to associate an external bank account. I pay my monthly payment direct from my primary bank to the credit union. If I want a principal only payment, I must do that from within the credit union site; hence transferring money to savings account I needed to open to be a part of the credit union.

Not ideal, but not the end of the world either.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #14
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post

Debt snowball!

Ditto
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:42 AM   #15
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I apologize for not be so clear. Within the credit union site which allows me to make principal only payments does not allow me to associate an external bank account. I pay my monthly payment direct from my primary bank to the credit union. If I want a principal only payment, I must do that from within the credit union site; hence transferring money to savings account I needed to open to be a part of the credit union.

Not ideal, but not the end of the world either.
Based on this information then I agree with those saying Dave Ramsey plan. As an avid practitioner of that plan I can say it works very well. About 4 more years and I will be screaming "I AM DEBT FREE"
Old 03-25-2021, 09:09 AM   #16
Marduk

I had a lot of issues due to my loans back in the day. I think one of the most important lessons I got was to not overdo it. I also relied a lot on credit cards and short term loans in order to enjoy my life at the fullest. There was a time though that I struggled a lot and I started reading books. If you have a look at some of the best reads you will realize that the I am a mastermind when it comes to investing.

Last edited by markem; 03-25-2021 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:03 PM   #17
retired
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: lenny
Trading: (0)
retired will become famous soon enough

Where do these prison escapees come from? Bots Wanna?
Old 03-25-2021, 05:24 PM   #18
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
Where do these prison escapees come from? Bots Wanna?

Or Indee Ahhh
Old 03-26-2021, 11:15 AM   #19
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Well an update to this. Car was paid off in November. Was looking to refi to a 15 year on the home, but when I ran the numbers it did not make sense to take on 8K refi charges compared to what I would "save" with a lower interest rate. I just pay more now on a principal only payment which brings me to a similar pay off date as the 15 year without any additional charge to refi.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:27 PM   #20
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

I just seen the thread so I am not able to give retroactive advice. However, paying principal only payments on a longer term loan will benefit you way more. You are smart to add extra payments to your house. Depending on your interest rate and how many years you owe, you could save potentially 6-8 months off principal off the total loan with just one extra payment. Of course, the shorter the term of the loan, as I said, the lesser the benefit. I dug us out of stupid debt in the mid to late nineties. I did stupid x 10, mostly by buying and then trading a new car. Dumbest thing I've ever done. Then in 1999, my wife was hospitalized for 8 days and we had no insurance. She got the mumps from some tyrant a client brought over during a meeting. Her air passage way closed up and she damn near died. All the money we had saved to build a house was lost paying off doctors and setting up a payment plan with hospital after draining our bank account. We were in bad shape by June 1, 1999. But, by some miracle, we still managed to build a house 1 year later simply by working our asses off. We have not had a car payment since 2004 and only owe for the house thanks to loosely following the Dave Ramsey plan. I strongly recommend listening to him and taking his advice. No more car loans for us.