Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #21
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice
Default Re: How much would you spend on a Travel Humi

I've bought about a dozen different travel humi's the last several years for prizes at a golf tournament. I've noticed that the quality seems to be getting cheaper every year. I can tell from the photos that your case is of a much higher quality than the mass market ones sold online. Much higher. I'd be happy to pay 60 to 80 bucks for a black one. A custom painted one I'd go to a hundred or more.

The trays look great, best I've seen. Maybe you could offer some optional trays for I-Pads, shot glasses, booze nips, etc. I think you'd need something unique to stand out from all the Chinese-made stuff that can be had cheap on the auction sites.

Good Luck!
Old 11-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #22
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

I'd be in for $20 to slap Mac with a Mets one!
Old 11-14-2013, 07:40 PM   #23
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

No Yankees gear is allowed in this house.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #24
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

bump on this
Old 11-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #25
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
If someone wants to take up a collection to get Mac a custom painted NY Yankees traveldor, I'm in for $10.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
And with my $10, we are up to $20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conch Republican View Post
I'd be in for $20 to slap Mac with a Mets one!
Count me in for $10; we are up to $40 -- just need a few more

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #26
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Count me in for $10; we are up to $40 -- just need a few more
Pretty sure your math is off.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #27
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

I'm not really into the bulky cases, which is one of the main reasons I switched to a Halliburton some time ago, but just to bring up a point I haven't seen mentioned yet...

Where is your case made and by whom?

I can buy a Pelican 1200 case, made in the US, for $40 on Amazon. Foam inserts are about $3-4 each IIRC. While I will probably come out close to your price, I'd be getting a case that is made here and comes with a 35 year track record of performance and I can piece together something like two robusto trays and one churchill tray rather than being forced into three of the same.

So, for me to be interested (hypothetically), you'd have to offer something that I can't get by piecing it together myself.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #28
the nub
Papa Chino

Trading: (2)
LGC
the nub is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So, for me to be interested (hypothetically), you'd have to offer something that I can't get by piecing it together myself.
IMHO this is the reality for a lot of BOTL.

For all intents and purposes you are offering a convenience service so your premium has to be priced accordingly. No offense.
the nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #29
Infecting Via PM

RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

Adam,

The case is made by SKB cases (more so known for their music cases, but this model is part of their industrial line) who is a competitor with Pelican. I have access to both lines and having dealt with both this case is much better IMHO. In terms of being bulky it is a little large in comparison to the 15ct cigar caddies etc but they are fairly close to Halliburton size if memory suits me right (I may be wrong) the inside dims of this case are 9x7x4 & outside dims are slightly smaller than 11x10x5. These cases are made in the USA in Cali within 30+- miles of Pelican and are made of the same if not higher quality than Pelican. I may be slightly bias because Pelican as a company from where I sit is a sh!tty company who is only interested in the $$ and not taking care of their dealers/customers..
I am curious where you could get the foam trays from too. I know I bought some from you awhile ago that were purchased from cigar solutions but they do not carry them any more.
I have access to get both tray types made however due to $$ I am only thinking of starting with the longer trays to again accommodate more cigar variety. I figured offer more (cigar) size options over quantity at 1st and if that does well invest in getting the other trays more to offer the quantity side.

Quote:
I'm not really into the bulky cases, which is one of the main reasons I switched to a Halliburton some time ago, but just to bring up a point I haven't seen mentioned yet...

Where is your case made and by whom?

I can buy a Pelican 1200 case, made in the US, for $40 on Amazon. Foam inserts are about $3-4 each IIRC. While I will probably come out close to your price, I'd be getting a case that is made here and comes with a 35 year track record of performance and I can piece together something like two robusto trays and one churchill tray rather than being forced into three of the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the nub View Post
IMHO this is the reality for a lot of BOTL.

For all intents and purposes you are offering a convenience service so your premium has to be priced accordingly. No offense.
Nub,
No this is exactly WHY I am doing this, to try out if it will end up being a waste of time to proceed with this or if it would be a good idea. That being said yes anyone could source a few places and get all the parts pay shipping from several places and make the case themselves for relatively the same price.

Adam & Nub thanks for this, I was waiting for more of a questionnaire type of thing cause I knew I probably didn't explain it all as well as I should have.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #30
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Thanks for providing more details Brenden. Makes more more interested, but having said that I already have several travel humidors of various sizes (large and small) so the big compelling reason for me to buy has not yet been mentioned.

I do believe that one of my cases is an OEM case made by SKB. My first and still my go-to travel humi.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #31
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 363 View Post
Adam,

The case is made by SKB cases (more so known for their music cases, but this model is part of their industrial line) who is a competitor with Pelican. I have access to both lines and having dealt with both this case is much better IMHO. In terms of being bulky it is a little large in comparison to the 15ct cigar caddies etc but they are fairly close to Halliburton size if memory suits me right (I may be wrong) the inside dims of this case are 9x7x4 & outside dims are slightly smaller than 11x10x5. These cases are made in the USA in Cali within 30+- miles of Pelican and are made of the same if not higher quality than Pelican. I may be slightly bias because Pelican as a company from where I sit is a sh!tty company who is only interested in the $$ and not taking care of their dealers/customers..
I am curious where you could get the foam trays from too. I know I bought some from you awhile ago that were purchased from cigar solutions but they do not carry them any more.
I have access to get both tray types made however due to $$ I am only thinking of starting with the longer trays to again accommodate more cigar variety. I figured offer more (cigar) size options over quantity at 1st and if that does well invest in getting the other trays more to offer the quantity side.
Thanks for the info Brendon.

I think I might have used the SKB cases before, or at least seen them up close. From what I remember, they're solid cases, no complaints there. Even though I own a number of them, I have no particular dedication or love of Pelican, it just happened to be the first brand I could think of which would work for the example I was trying to make.

It also looks like the SKB is a bit more expensive than the Pelican. I don't know if it's feasible for you to do it or not, but I think you might have an easier time selling the case if you can get closer to the Amazon price of $49.99 for one with cube foam, as an empty case (no foam) is $39.99 on Amazon. I think a lot of people are willing to pay a bit more for the convenience of having a complete product delivered to them vs putting it together themselves, so I don't know if you necessarily need to match the price, maybe just get close enough so that people don't shop your case vs Amazon and go "Dude! He's charging me $30 for custom foam?" Because, let's face it, you can just put the cigars in single or 5-finger baggies in a case with no foam.

Letting people know that these are US made cases along with all the MIL-spec standards and waterproof tests that they meet will probably also help sell the cases or at least justify the prices vs the foreign made crap.

Also, what if you were to offer them in such a way that people could pick any combination of three inserts that they wanted? Churchill, robusto or ridge foam for starters, maybe even a lancero or corona tray. Allowing this kind of personalization will help set your case apart and likely worth the slightly higher price you might charge. Plus, it puts you in the foam business as some people will order extra trays so they can kit out their traveldor appropriately to suit what they are bringing at any given time rather than being locked in to certain size trays.

I was unaware that Ron stopped selling the custom trays and I didn't look around to see if anyone else has them. So if no one else does or they are hard to locate, I guess that pretty much nixes that comment for the most part. Although, it does open up a possible market for you.

On the dimensions, the most common Halliburton used for cigars is the Cigar Ambassador case / 100C. The Cigar Ambassador is just a 100C with a liner, closed cell trays and specially cut top foam to accommodate the included humidifier and hygrometer. The Cigar Ambassador is also no longer in production (although the 100C still is). These cases are 12 x 9 x 5, almost all of which is useable space, unlike the heavy duty polycarbonate cases where you lose an inch or two on each dimension. All this being said, I don't really think the halli and your case are in competition. First off, they're not even in the same price range, a new halli 100C is about $350. Even used they tend to fetch around $150 on eBay. Looks, style, storage, all different. I switched because I got tired of the unnecessary bulk of the Pelican case I was using. It's unlikely that I would switch back to something like you are offering unless I had a very specific need for it, like boating or something like that.

I think that, ultimately, you need to offer something that sets your case apart from the rest. A virtually indestructible box is great, but realistically, how often does anyone beat up their traveldor to the point where that's an issue? Customizable options or service are where I think you might score better.

T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #32
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Bump for Brendon.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #33
Infecting Via PM

RA

Thanks Mac. I have been thinking about this and I think I may just put this on the back burner as I have a few other things I am working on currently that I would rather focus on more. That being said if anyone is interested in cases wither for cigars (for use with 5 finger bags) or guns or whatever hit me up as I have access to a multitude of options. Hopefully soon I can continue this project with a more diverse ability to produce whatever style trays anyone is looking for have it be churchill or robusto or lancero or pipes or whatever.. Thank you all for the feedback!