Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
amsgpwarrior
amsgpwarrior

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
amsgpwarrior is on a distinguished road
Default La Aroma de Cuba EE #55

La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial #55 by Ashton

La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial #55 (5.75x55)
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sun Grown
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $7.50-$8.00

See the full review w/ pics @ http://aaronfoodandwino.blogspot.com

A tribute to great Cuban cigars; this cigar is down right beautiful to look at. Its light brown wrapper from Ecuador is almost flawless with hardly any prominent veins. Great aroma of cedar on the pre light sniff.

Used a table light to light, and didn’t even have to puff on it to light. Combustion was superb and burned evenly from the start (a consistent trait of Ashton products). The draw was very easy, almost too easy to pull.

Flavors of wood and nuttiness on the initial attack. No Pepin spice at all, which is surprising for a mostly Nicaraguan smoke. Salt and pepper ash is flaky and falls of easily (in my lap!). Plumes of smoke pour out of this stick, and I love it. 2nd third is very nutty and transitions to cedar flavors. Not wowing me so far, and not bringing the complexity I thought this stick would have. In the last third the cigar the Pepin spice (black pepper) finally made an appearance but just slightly. At the nub a hint of cocoa was noticed.

All in all this smoke is just good and not anywhere near great. Probably won’t return to this one. Flavors just seem kind of dull and not “spot on” like many other Pepin cigars. This would otherwise be liked by many mild to medium strength smokers. Probably would be great in the morning with some coffee to start off the day.

Score: 89-90
amsgpwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote