Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Katmancross

Default 5 Vegas Classic Churchill

I'm very partial to Churchills. I have the time. So why not. Robustos feel like an appetizer. But the trick is that the smaller stogies usually taste better and quicker. Their sweet spot hits almost immediately. While the Churchill builds to it slowly and with anticipation.
Like the other Classics the filler is Nicaraguan and the binder is Dominican. The wrapper is Sumatran.
The construction on this one is nice. It's a firm cigar.But a little light in the hand. Doesn't feel tightly packed. Of course the upside to this is that it smokes easily. I'm not a big torpedo fan because I have the worst luck and end up using my cigar ice pick to open it up to let the air through.
The start is mostly of wood and cedar. There is a slight sweet taste. About 1" in, I get some subtle white pepper. That's good. My senses tell me it's a solid medium body at this point. But if it progresses like this, it's going to hit the full body mark.
At the 2/3 mark, it opens up and I get a panoply of flavors.This is turning out to be a more complex cigar than the smaller ones. I like the smaller ones because while they may not be as complex, they have a nice combination of consistent spice and cream. I can live with that.
The cream fills my maw. And the spice level raises. The wait is becoming worth it. Around the last third, it's a full on freight train in body. Besides the sweetness, spice, creaminess, and cedar flavors, I'm getting a dried fruit on the aftertaste. I can't pin point it. Usually, I can, but not now. It's a dark fruit, like black currants, maybe.
The flavor profile is extremely consistent right to the end. It never gets harsh or hot. Of course, the key to that also lays with the smoker. If you smoke it too quickly, you pull the tar to the end of the stick. I smoke about once a minute once I get to the halfway point. That usually eliminates any chance of harshness or bitterness.
And the best part, is that this is a reasonably priced stick. At the box price, they're only $3 each. You can't beat that.
This was an 85 minute smoke for me. I sipped bottled water.
I give this an 88.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 5 Vegas Classic Churchill

Nice review. I have one of these resting til warmer months, so I'm now really looking forward to it!
Old 01-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
jwillm

Nice review. Have always been partial to 5 Vegas
Old 01-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
BSB
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bob
Trading: (13)
Partagas
BSB will become famous soon enough

Nice review. Been a LONG time since I smoked a 5 Vegas.
BTW, I liked your last review, didn't get a chance to tell you before it got locked up. Maybe because I'm familiar with the Superstitions, having hiked there and talked to those rodents
Old 01-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
BSB
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bob
Trading: (13)
Partagas
BSB will become famous soon enough

In fact, I'm heading that way in a little over a week. 2 months with the Superstitions at my doorstep.