Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #21
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation
Default Re: Shilala Beads vs. Heartfelt

Have Shilala's beads ever been certified as non toxic and food safe? Its been a while since I checked.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:10 AM   #22
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I am vary impressed, 21 posts in and no bashing. Everyone has voiced their opinion in an adult manner. Makes me proud to be a membe.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:21 AM   #23
waffle
Who doesn't love Waffles?

First Name: Steve (Stephen)
Trading: (38)
waffle has a spectacular aura aboutwaffle has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
I am vary impressed, 21 posts in and no bashing. Everyone has voiced their opinion in an adult manner. Makes me proud to be a membe.
Its similar to lots of things in the cigar world I'm finding out, all based on personal preference... and I think everyone is just trying to give all sides and why the prefer what they prefer
Old 07-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #24
Ogre
****CENSORED****

Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle View Post
Its similar to lots of things in the cigar world I'm finding out, all based on personal preference... and I think everyone is just trying to give all sides and why the prefer what they prefer
I have been on some other sites (remain nameless) that it gets vicious, name calling and personal attacks. Thats why I hang out here.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #25
KenyanSandBoa
The Nightman Cometh...

First Name: Jim
Trading: (74)
Trinidad
KenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the roughKenyanSandBoa is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I have used both and prefer the low maintenance of Shilalas beads. Have been rocking my two vinos and three desktops at 64%-65% without me doing anything. It is a matter of personal preference. But I recommend to my friends to use Shilalas beads all the time. For the humidity we have in Virginia...they work like a champ.
I'm with you on this one, Mac. Granted New England summers aren't as bad as Virginia summers, but we get some pretty big spikes in humidity and I noticed my humis with Shilala beads are more stable than the one with Heartfelt beads.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:01 PM   #26
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Have Shilala's beads ever been certified as non toxic and food safe? Its been a while since I checked.
From the MSDS:
Quote:
HEALTH HAZARD DATA
Hazardous Ingredients: None Known
Route of Entry: Inhalation
Health Hazard: None
Signs and Symptoms of Exposure: None

FIRST AID MEASURES
Swallowing: If ingested in large quantities contact physician for permission to induce vomiting
Skin Contact: None
Inhalation: Move the person to fresh air
Eye Contact: Immediately flush eyes with water for 15 minutes
Notes to Physician: None

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #27
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
From the MSDS:
Where can this MSDS be downloaded from?

I can't find it anywhere on the website.

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #28
doctorcue
BABOTL - VP of Drinking

First Name: Danny
Trading: (2)
VR
doctorcue is on a distinguished road

Never had an issue with Heartfelt beads. Never used Shilalas.

Ultimately seems like both products work and the differences are minor.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #29
Goldie
Bring the pain!

First Name: Drew
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Goldie has a spectacular aura aboutGoldie has a spectacular aura about

I use Heartfeldt right now, only because they were a bit more inexpensive over Shilala. My Vino right now is sitting at 65, and only fluctuates between 64 and 66.

If I wasn't such a cheapskate, I would take Shilala beads any day, due to their low maintenance. Otherwise, I think you will find great results from both.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #30
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I have both. I prefer Shilala beads. Set and forget beads. Also you have the customer service support of a great guy. We have traded countless pm's and phone calls just so I can get the beads perfect However, I have no complaints with Heartfelt. Spray 'em down every month or so and you are good to go.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #31
BroncoHorvath
Life is Great !

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
Punch
BroncoHorvath is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorcue View Post
Never had an issue with Heartfelt beads. Never used Shilalas.

Ultimately seems like both products work and the differences are minor.
same here
Old 07-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #32
Barteur
Golf is life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (18)
Cohiba
Barteur will become famous soon enough

I use both and they work great.
I prefer Shilala because its Scott and I got a very good after sale support.
I bought mine from another bro. and he Scott supported me with my questions even if I did not buy them directly from him.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #33
lbowles2
Luv me some broadleaf!!

Trading: (84)
lbowles2 will become famous soon enough

I was using Heartfelt beads in my Vinotemp 28 and was having trouble with keeping the humidity constant. Some of it was probably user error and not getting the beads right to begin with... actually most of it was. I switched to the Shilala beads and unless you want to change the humidity level they are preset to they are brain-dead easy. My humi has been solid at 65% since putting them in. I used 1.5 lbs in my Vinotemp. Sure they cost more than the Heartfelt beads but for me the peace of mind and lack of maintenance makes the Shilala beads a no brainer.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #34
Brad

I like Shilala beads, but I use Heartfelt in my 120 quart cooler, mostly due to cost. I have 70% Heartfelt beads, but my cooler never goes abov 67%, even after they have been recharged. Holds in the 66-67% range, and I only have to recharge them about every 4-5 months in my climate.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #35
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

If it weren't for shilala beads, I'd use David's or Mark's. Both are standup brothers of the very highest order.
When I was considering selling away the business and struggling with the misery of making and selling beads, Mark spent a great amount of time talking to me, making suggestions, and leading me in the right direction.
That was my "competitor".
It says a whole heck of a lot about what kind of guy he is.
Viper (Dave) was very active at CS when me and the CS members were developing a couple types of beads and some salt based humidity control medias. His input was invaluable. He's the other presumed "competitor".

I've always wondered why the perceived animosity or supposed competition. It's always been right out there.
I have always had and always will have the greatest of respect for Dave and Mark. They are special men and stand up BOTL's. I hope one day I get to meet them and share a smoke.
Both of their products kick ass, as well do Michael's. You can't go wrong whatever way you go. The differences are as vast as "cc's or nc's?"

Anyone can go to Dave's, Mark's or Michael's site and get educated, then pick what's best for them. Or try all three kinds in a small volume and pick what ya like.
I guarantee that no matter what you try, all the guys selling beads will be happy for you and happy for each other.
Remember that none of these guys are Walmart. They aren't going to retire off bead profits. They do what they do because they enjoy it and can help their brothers, and they can make a few bucks in their free time to try and make ends meet.

My point is that there's no VS. between the guys with the beads. Please don't put it there.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #36
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
My point is that there's no VS. between the guys with the beads. Please don't put it there.
Awesome post, Scott.

With that, I think all the cards are on the table, and it's time to shut the "vs" down.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Closed Thread