Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
Nathan King

Default Casa Fernandez Arsenio 2009

Casa Fernandez Arsenio 2009

I would be remiss without beginning the review by giving an honorable mention to Cigar Asylum member whodeeni. He demonstrated a very much appreciated random act of kindness after reading my introductory post a few weeks ago by sending me five cigars to sample, one of which was this Arsenio. Let's begin.

Length: 5 1/4"
Ring Gauge: 54
Size: Robusto
Filler: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Wrapper: Nicaraguan
Price: $5.25

Overall Appearance and Presentation: 18/20 points

The Robusto size makes for a well-proportioned, aesthetically pleasing cigar. Upon careful inspection, no visible veins, bumps, seams, or signs of stretching can be found on the dark and oily wrapper. The Arsenio 2009 sports a nicely executed triple cap with a small piece of pigtail in the center.

Lighting and Burning Properties: 14/15 points

The initial light was easy with a very even burn. At the middle of the cigar the burn became slightly wavy, but the cigar corrected itself with no touching up required. The salt and pepper ash held firmly for about two inches, the burn rate was moderate, and the cigar smoked cool.

Construction: 28/30 points

As mentioned, the cap was well made and, after being cut, the cigar provided a huge draw. No unraveling occurred.

Taste: 28/35 points

My initial puffs revealed huge notes of spice accompanied with a mild sweetness and plenty of billowing white smoke. As the cigar warmed I began receiving notes of tangy espresso and cedar. The smoke was slightly dry on the palate but the flavors blended superbly. Toward the middle secondary notes of cocoa and earthy leather were noted. This multi-dimensional and dynamic cigar has a medium to medium-full flavor.

Total Score: 88/100 points - A very good cigar with some special qualities. Grab a box.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
ChicagoWhiteSox

Default Re: Casa Fernandez Arsenio 2009

Thanks for the review
Old 11-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
tx_tuff

I love this smoke, you may not be able to find the 09 anymore but they also have a 10. As far as I know they are the same blend and size, I could really tell no deference. My local sells the box of 10 for $45, hard to beat that cigar at that price!

By the way these come from the same factory as the Illusione smokes.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
Nathan King

That's good news. I will have to get a box of the '10's since they really are an enjoyable cigar. At $45 a box of 10 the cigar represents an excellent value, imho (it beat or was on par with some $8-$10 sticks I have had).
Old 11-11-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Great stick!! great review!!
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote