Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 10-18-2020, 09:28 AM   #1
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about
Default Any pipers still active here?

Got into piping a little over a year ago. Still reach for cigars most of the time but there's something so good about a good smoke from a pipe!
cigarmonkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Any pipers still active here?

Whoops. Mods, mind moving this to the appropriate sub section? Sorry!
Old 10-18-2020, 09:56 AM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel View Post
Whoops. Mods, mind moving this to the appropriate sub section? Sorry!
No sweat Ryan.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 10:36 AM   #4
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

A few of us around......
I bat for both teams...
Old 10-18-2020, 02:38 PM   #5
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

I haven’t touched any of my pipes in years. Still have a bunch of tobacco aging. Maybe one day I’ll get back into it but I prefer a cigar when I have some extra time to smoke.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:28 PM   #6
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Whats everyone's go to blends? I missed the McC days when it was still readily available but I've managed to source a bit of it here and there. LBF and newminster 400 are probably my favorite bulks.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:49 PM   #7
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Here's some smoking pipers for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq7R2MBkqlk
Old 10-23-2020, 09:05 PM   #8
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Have a churchwarden going right now with some G&H Louisiana Flake.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:28 PM   #9
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Have a churchwarden going right now with some G&H Louisiana Flake.
Nice! You sent me some aged GH LP awhile ago and I keep it set aside for special occasions (along with other select tobaccos as well). I believe there was cherry cream GH amongst many others as well. Thats the only cherry aro that I enjoy!
Old 10-24-2020, 04:49 PM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel View Post
Nice! You sent me some aged GH LP awhile ago and I keep it set aside for special occasions (along with other select tobaccos as well). I believe there was cherry cream GH amongst many others as well. Thats the only cherry aro that I enjoy!
I agree, that is the only cherry aromatic that every touches my pipes.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:41 PM   #11
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Have so much tobacco, and about 100 pipes(many inherited from my father including many French leather ones) but really haven't lit up in years. I wonder if the baccy is any good. I'll make it a point to put the cigar down and light the pipe soon! I think the reason so many of us moved away from the pipe is that you need 30 minutes to clean up after you finish smoking whereas you just leave a seagar to burn out in the ashtray!
Old 10-26-2020, 08:00 AM   #12
Neuromancer
Will work for Boli GM's

First Name: Marc
Trading: (23)
Bolivar
Neuromancer will become famous soon enoughNeuromancer will become famous soon enough

Yep...piper too but cigars are my preference...someone needs to invent a way to clean a pipe, after smoking, in less than 1/2 hour...
Old 10-26-2020, 10:30 AM   #13
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Only takes me a few minutes to clean my pipes after a smoke. Shouldn't take long, hit the stem and bowl with pipe cleaners and call it good! Takes me more time to prep the tobacco than cleaning my pipe after.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:31 AM   #14
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Have so much tobacco, and about 100 pipes(many inherited from my father including many French leather ones) but really haven't lit up in years. I wonder if the baccy is any good. I'll make it a point to put the cigar down and light the pipe soon! I think the reason so many of us moved away from the pipe is that you need 30 minutes to clean up after you finish smoking whereas you just leave a seagar to burn out in the ashtray!
If its been put in Mason jars or if the tins are still sealed you're probably sitting on a small piece of heaven!!
Old 10-26-2020, 08:19 PM   #15
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Some is sealed in mason jars, some is sealed in baggies, some is sealed in pouches the tobacco came in. Opened, but "zipper" sealed. I guess I could try to refresh it with those little humidifier discs made for pipe tobacco. I remember not being able to find them last time I looked for them.
Old 10-27-2020, 07:21 AM   #16
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Mason jar tobacco should be still in great condition assuming the lid made a solid seal. If the baggies are just zip lock that will be dried out unfortunately. If they're in mylar baggies and heat sealed they will still be in great condition!

Rehydrating pipe tobacco is like cigars. A little bit of freezer burn type of thing but definitely still smokeable and definitely worth giving it a shot!! If you can't find the discs you can use boveda packs or take a small dish, put some distilled water in it and set it in an air tight Tupperware or something of the likes with the tobacco. Let it set for a few days. Give the tobacco a gentle stir once a day and refill the distilled water if need be.

I would store tobacco in either Mason jars or 5 or 7mm thick mylar bags. Mylar bags for long term storage since they take up less room, not breakable like Mason jars but do require to be heat sealed. Mason jars for short term smoking (also just as good for long term if you have the room for them).
Old 10-27-2020, 06:14 PM   #17
stevieray
Just slacking off

First Name: Steve
Trading: (42)
Bolivar
stevieray has disabled reputation

Just now transitioning back to my pipes. I'm a seasonal smoker. I tend to smoke mostly cigars during the spring and summer and pipes through the fall and winter.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:02 AM   #18
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
Just now transitioning back to my pipes. I'm a seasonal smoker. I tend to smoke mostly cigars during the spring and summer and pipes through the fall and winter.
I usually do the same since its cold out. If I get too cold I know I can set my pipe down and revisit it later, even the next day. Just bought a new house (my first house!) And the wife and I will have a nice 3 season (4 season once we get a space heater) room that i can smoke cigars in. Its gonna be a game changer for me.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:01 PM   #19
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
30 minutes to clean up? Huh???
Pipe cleaner down the stem, (if you have not done it while smoking the bowl) take the other end of your tamper and rub out the residual dottle in the bowl, call it good. Then, once every 5-10 smokes, a better cleaning.

If the mason jars are sealed, you might be seriously in for some great smokes.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:14 PM   #20
stevieray
Just slacking off

First Name: Steve
Trading: (42)
Bolivar
stevieray has disabled reputation

I'm here...puffiin some '05 Christmas Cheer during the holiday break