Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 09-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #1
trogdor
Still Watching My Back

First Name: marc
Trading: (1)
HUpmann
trogdor is on a distinguished road
Default Good bacon recipies

I've tried a couple of different bacon curing recipes and prefer savory to sweet.
The interwebs have lots of recipes to choose from - what are your tried and true ones?
Show me your best bacon!
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:26 PM   #2
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Good bacon recipies

I usually do just a simple salt/sugar cure myself. 2% salt (1.75% salt, 0.25% cure #1) and 2% sugar to weight of meat. Cover meat and let equilibrium cure for a week. Then smoke.

But for savory, try lessening the sugar (still want some to balance the salt) and add items like Chinese five spice powder, say 0.5% to start. Or used Korean hot chili flakes instead of the five spice.

Another good one is coffee/bourbon. Or garlic and fennel seed.

Another is black pepper, juniper berries and thyme.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

A friend of mine, his recipe for German bacon. https://honest-food.net/german-bacon-recipe/
Old 09-27-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
trogdor
Still Watching My Back

HUpmann

Thanks for the suggestions!
Coffee and bourbon together? About how much coffee grounds? Does the bourbon make it more of a wet cure, or are we only talking a few oz per slab??
Old 09-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #5
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Again I'd start light with weight to percentage of meat. That way you can easily adjust on the next batch either up or down. Start with 0.5%. So for 1000g of belly, 50 grams of grounds. Bourbon will make it a wet rub, so increase the percentages a bit to compensate. I'd start with a half cup per kilo. Weigh if you can just for future reference.

That's the cool thing about eq curing, it'll never get too salty as there's only 2% salt in the cure.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:44 PM   #6
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

If you're on FB, look for the group, The Salt Cured Pig. Lots of recipes there if you use the search function. Although FB searching blows. ��
Old 09-27-2017, 09:13 PM   #7
trogdor
Still Watching My Back

HUpmann

Awesome, thanks! I've got some stuff to try now
Old 09-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #8
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Sounds good. The thing with each curing is giving it enough time to penetrate all the way through. 7-10 days should be plenty.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Single white male seeking petite brunette or redhead fully draped in cooked bacon.

Am I in the wrong place?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote